Author Topic: 2013: what are you doing for the new season?  (Read 9001 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: 2013: what are you doing for the new season?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »
No LSR for me.....Plan to sit out a year. Big vacation to Arkansas and Minnesota for relatives before time runs out on all of us.

Racing will be at Perris 1/2 mile dirt for the sons Super Stock. We will be ready for the opener in March with our new engine but won't attend due to Patricks work. He will be driving with his Christmas gift of a new adjustable Hans Device from Stand 21.....It's good to be a dad. Both families looking forward to it.

All of you have a successful year and meet your goals....................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »
Hoping to get the new streamliner down from Ma & Pa's place to where my brother and I live so we can actually finish it.  Bro and I are this close -->  <-- to getting a warehouse to use for a shop.  Car is a roller now but needs body, plumbing, wiring, etc.  We ran our flathead banger at SW with a billet 5 main crank but only used the stock 3 mains.  Pa needs to finish the 5 main girdle so we can run the turbo again and actually make real boost.  Doubt we'll run anything this year plus I think we're retiring the Creel lakester.  Just hope to be busy working on new stuff so it'll be done one day.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
We have a couple of projects going, but I think the first to the finish line is going to be putting the Buick motor for the liner back together one more time.  Worked with Richard Isky on the cam and lifters.  It was really great to contact a company, looking for parts and get to work with someone that actually knows what can be done.  They didn't have parts listed for the Buick, but were able to assemble the offset lifters I needed.  He also touched up the cam grind a little while they were repairing the scratched lobes.
We are also changing all the fuel lines on the Liner, a couple of the old lines sprung leaks so they are all getting replaced.  The steering "slower" will get added in this year as well.

The Bockscar will probably get a J motor this year, we are also working on a blown I motor, but I think the J will be ready first.  Already have the sample piston to Wossner for that one.  I started measuring for rods and pistons for the I motor a couple of days ago, but us old folks work slow. 
Johnboy was here for Thanksgiving and we put a steering "slower" in then.  We also put the car back on the Dyno to confirm the HP level we had in October in relation to the level we had at Speedweek.  Found around 10 HP in the cooler air.  Yes it is hot here in July and cool in November, love WF for NA.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 11:50:38 PM »
I will be celebrating my 30th Anniversary attending Speed Week this year. For the last few years I have been helping in Inspection, and will be doing it again this year. I hope to get the cage finished for the `Stillborn Special` this year, and mock up the transmission,driveline etc. I really wish I could make some worthwhile passes in something to celebrate my Attendance milestone, or perhaps get my Irish wife to get me that pot of gold to enable me to run my own car this year......No Chance... :-( :-(

Offline fastman614

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 04:55:17 AM »
We have a couple of projects going, but I think the first to the finish line is going to be putting the Buick motor for the liner back together one more time.  Worked with Richard Isky on the cam and lifters.  It was really great to contact a company, looking for parts and get to work with someone that actually knows what can be done.  They didn't have parts listed for the Buick, but were able to assemble the offset lifters I needed.  He also touched up the cam grind a little while they were repairing the scratched lobes.
We are also changing all the fuel lines on the Liner, a couple of the old lines sprung leaks so they are all getting replaced.  The steering "slower" will get added in this year as well.

The Bockscar will probably get a J motor this year, we are also working on a blown I motor, but I think the J will be ready first.  Already have the sample piston to Wossner for that one.  I started measuring for rods and pistons for the I motor a couple of days ago, but us old folks work slow. 
Johnboy was here for Thanksgiving and we put a steering "slower" in then.  We also put the car back on the Dyno to confirm the HP level we had in October in relation to the level we had at Speedweek.  Found around 10 HP in the cooler air.  Yes it is hot here in July and cool in November, love WF for NA.

The Iskenderian family ARE BONNEVILLE PEOPLE!!!!! They are the ones you need to talk to in order to get the knowledge that is "locked up" within the ISKY CAMS organization..... I have know them all since 1970 or so and they DEFINITELY ARE good people with whom to work.....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Tman

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
Let me add that my engine partner, Tom is moving 400 miles closer to me! We will be 30 minutes apart and able to work on the lakester together for once!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 02:38:51 AM »
Ditto on on the the "good" Iskenderian family members. I had talked with the company about hoping to utilize their EZ-Roll non-needle-bearing lifter technology in the cam followers for my DOHC Pontiac hemi. I was told that I'd need to put my request to CEO Ron Isdenderian, so I got Ron on the phone last week. Not only is he willing to provide "pieces" and help, he sounded genuinely interested in my "ambitious" project. He spent a good forty minutes, patiently discussing details of my design.

Ed Iskenderian also was very helpful when I had first acquired Pontiac hemi pieces from Mickey (~1985) and was attempting to build an updated version of the aluminum V8 with which Mickey won the '62 drag nationals. At the time, Ed even remembered the 7000-T one-off cam he had ground, which was among my acquisitions and I had questions about.

Incidentally, Ron says his dad (age 91 or 92?) is still passionate about performance machinery and comes into the "shop" quite often. And just renewed his driver's license for another four years!

P.S.- Who is Richard?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:42:06 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »
P.S.- Who is Richard?

Jack, I guess that question is directed my way?  Richard Iskenderian is Ed's son.... President and General Manager at Isky Racing Cams. 
http://www.hotrodhotline.com/ed-iskenderian-0
go to bottom of page for a pic. 

Barc Goodson, Kenz and Leslie Top Fuel and Funny Car driver from the 60s and 70s, A-SStreamliner and Bockscar crewmember, and hopefully Bockscar driver next year put us together.  Richard was extremely helpful, although I did have one issue, I think the Isky Racing Cams stickers he sent me are too small for the amount of help he provided.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fastman614

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »
Ron and Rich are brothers - with Rich being the younger of the two.....

There is also a much younger brother named Tim, who also works there but I am not sure what he does.... as (father) Ed also has sprawling real estate assets and a machinery sales business (amongst other things), I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that Tim is involved in that end of things....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »
Stainless,

I hope Barc is driving this year.....otherwise we maybe getting him never in the car.....we have to use his yes from 2012..... :cheers:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »
Sounds like a lot is going on out there! All I have to do this year is get my car finished for Speedweek. Luckily it only needs everything!! Got the chassis started, cage is going in. Engine is here but still need a cylinder head for it! Just been plugging away. This full time job is really starting to put a damper on the time I have to build the car. But the thrash is on nonetheless!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
We are excited about 2013 and plan to run as many events as possible. After the record last year at SW and seeing the trophy (we didn't even know they had trophys), we plan on having a blown motor and a 540 NA motor to run at Elmo in May and June. We cooked the 580 at B'ville but with the record and a hat, it was worth it. I didn't have any interest in LSR until 2009, and now it is my desire to do it as much as possible. Thank you to all the people who make LSR possible.
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »
...   :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline DallasV

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
Working on an engine plan that will keep all the moving parts in their original configuration and contained within the confines of the cylinder walls and oil pan.  :roll:
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:48 AM »
What am I doing? I tired of only working with pencil and paper, and started making some chips- which, hopefully, may eventually result in an engine! First time I ever tried to design and fabricate a DOHC setup, so wish me luck...
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020