Author Topic: Gear Vendor-Laycock P type Overdrive info  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Jon

Gear Vendor-Laycock P type Overdrive info
« on: December 31, 2012, 07:20:35 AM »
Hi

After some info on Gear Vendor - Laycock P type overdrives.

After the following please:
Dimensions?
Weight?
How much torque can they handle?
Can you turn the around and use them as an underdrive? (Input shaft becomes output shaft and vice versa)
Can you turn the sprag clutch around and run them counterclockwise?
Can you up the pressure in them to prevent slippage at higher torque levels?
What is their maximum input shaft speed?

Is the J type much weaker and smaller?

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Gear Vendor-Laycock P type Overdrive info
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
Jon I know one of the questions---they used to make a reverse rotation unit for drag boats---I have talked to Bob Jhonson (he is the President) about them.

I do not know what the pressures are to prevent slippage but one of the modifications to one of my units which has (Boneville  Modifications) was to drill a larger by pass hole which makes it slower to respond when going  back to direct---the so called split shiffting. This was done to limit pressures and paracitic losses.

I have never had any problems but I have only shfted at 8200.  Due to the B'ville modification I have never been brave enought to "split-shift".

I would be supprised if there is any RPM limitication or modification for them to function a higher rpm.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:27:26 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jon

Re: Gear Vendor-Laycock P type Overdrive info
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
Thanks Sparky

Most of the answers other than counterclockwise rotation and using them to underdrive is here:
http://www.gearvendors.com/install.html

To run them counterclockwise I think would be a matter of installing an opposite hand sprag clutch, the rest looks omnidirectional.

Just worked out why the pump is piston, so it can run both ways, had me puzzled why you would run a piston pump rather than any rotational pump.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3