Author Topic: Solid front wheel  (Read 2824 times)

Offline fastlammy

Solid front wheel
« on: December 28, 2012, 09:01:12 PM »
when submiting an intension to run a sold front wheel, what info is required? Do you you have have destrctive testing done on it?

Thanks Nicholai

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Solid front wheel
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
Solid wheel covers two areas.
For non-streamliners the spoke area must be ventilated.

The other area is aluminum as a traction material. I believe that is what you are planning on running.
On a conventional wheel/tire combo even with a custom fabricated wheel you would be clear to run unless there is something glaring at the inspectors that is unsafe by looking at it. I doubt that any testing would be required.

A solid wheel has two issues of concern to the inspectors. Sharp edges cut into the racing surface. The other is directional control. You have to convince them that your solid wheel will function as well as a wheel/tire combo. Just my thoughts.

I would contact Jack Costella for his views.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
Hi Dean

thanks for your replys,I'm looking several differant materials with aluminium being my last option, I have a couple of friends that build racing yacht's so im going to look at a Composite kavlar, carbon wheel, or possably a nylon or plastic as i want to keep the rotational weight down. Have managed to find quite a few good photos of Ez-hooks front wheel which has been a good referrence.

Offline sawdawg

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:36:30 AM »
I ran some solid front wheels on my streamliner last year.  They are 13 1/2 inched in dia. I needed them because the small 5x5 rubber  wheels I was running before were getting old and SCTA put a speed limit on them. Plus those small rubber wheels had a tendency to explode after they heated up past the three mile mark. And Goodyaear stopped making the tires. Lee Kennedy is the person to talk to about new solid wheels. I sent a letter of intend before showing up at the Worls Finals. You can't have a hard corner on the wheel, it must be a rounded edge so they don't dig into the salt. Mine also have a slight crown to them.

Once you show up to the event they will let you make a slow run and they will immediately check the salt for any damage. Any damage and you're finished. Two years ago I ran the wheels one in front of another without suspension....too rough. Last year I ran them side by side with suspension... smoother.

I think my car is too heavy for solid wheels and I'm going to turn the streamliner into a Lakester with 23 inch goodyears so the little rubber wheels and the solid wheels are for sale.