Author Topic: Ducati powered MPS750-F project  (Read 41693 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Ducati powered MPS750-F project
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »
Really like the seat section.   Teh bike looks low and that's good.   Especially like the T shirt in first week of March when it is 30 here in NY.

Joe

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
Thanks Joe.  We've had a warming spell here in NM this past week.  Even rode my Ducati SS into work today.
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »
Hey Joe and all my friends up there in the frozen wastelands up north, My wife and I just got back from a 130 mile ride, in tshirts. About 85dg!! :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »
Just a few ideas.  Looking at your profile, I would try putting the bottom of your helmet down on the airbox, supported by a hunk of rubber.  If your fairing is cut too high, cut it down in front for a good view of the horizon.  Also, looks like you could make more forward  reaching handlebars to get your arms forward and down.  Make a small gas tank and put it in the seat pod behind you. Getting your head down a couple of inches will gain a few mph or more.  Put your rear sets as far back as allowed (6" from rear axle at BUB, staying in M class). This is not a road race.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
Fred - Stew - When I look at Slim's photo of the UP snow I feel better but still cold ... When I ride now I need the plug in heated suit.

Joe

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »
Bike looks great Duck! Keep it up!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
Got the tank installed, but it's too dang big... 

Fortunately for me, it's Ducati's last steel tank used on a superbike so I can cut & weld it as needed.  Here's the projected first cut (just above the blue tape):

From there, a new bottom plate will need to be water-jet cut and welded in.  Going to run a later model Ducati in-tank pump as they're cheaper than the 749/999 units & flow more fuel.
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline RansomT

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 07:55:52 PM »
I really can't tell from the picture of the tank about your cut, but your minimum capacity must be 5L to stay in MPS. (going by my ECTA rule book, I can't find my SCTA book to double check)

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
Yup, it's a 5L minimum.  Stock tank is 4.2 gallons and I'm planning on cutting 40-50% out of it.

Bike may run alcohol next season...
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »
Duck, it is good to have your pegs back like Tom says.  When you do this the weight of your torso will be forward and it will need some support.  Some bikes like a light touch on the bars so it is hard to use them to hold you up.  Resting your chin on the tank will make your vision go goofy on a rough track.  Sometimes the best place to support yourself is with your chest on the tank and your chin an inch or so above it.  It is good to ride it in a race before you decide to cut things up.   

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 01:04:34 AM »
Cut the crap outta the tank tonight but I can now get my chest much further forward and I feel comfortably supported. 

Mediocre cell phone pic tomorrow.

I'll be right around 1.6-1.7 gallons of fuel after I re-make the rear 1/2 of this shell into a tank.
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline gsx-rboy750

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
Sick project. I am also working on my areo for MPS while trying to keep legal. I will be starting to build my gas tank soon.
check out NoRegretPerformance on FB.
200mph on a 100% stock 750 motor, pump e85 in the standing mile.

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »

I may slice the tank side to side above the vertical head and lengthen it back towards the seat for add'l fuel capacity and the ability to add the pump flange behind the head.  I may not...

Good luck w/the project gsx-rboy750! Hope to see you out on the salt!
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline tauruck

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:41 PM »
Are you dropping the back and making it fit the vee in the frame?

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
Are you dropping the back and making it fit the vee in the frame?

Probably not.  Just a rear-ward expansion of the tank back to the subframe attachment point.  That's like 3-4".
Team UnorthoDUX