Author Topic: Nitro And Superchargers!  (Read 22449 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Nitro And Superchargers!
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »
Ok guys, I know nothing about nitro, but NEED to! :-o

In our quest for 200 mph with the flathead, we'll be running on fuel. Any pointers on the use of nitro with a blower is appreciated!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Nitro And Superchargers!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »
More is better. Tony :cheers:
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
Start building your back-up motor.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
More is better. Tony :cheers:

The whole saying:

"A little is good, more is better, and too much is just enough."  :-)

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
its hard to get "good" information on the stuff if you are planning on runing low percentages, all the top fuel knowledge is based on 90+ and is "totally irrelavent" to anything less,, my experience/advice is to sneak up on it, increase in small percentages, moniter, and keep notes,, from around 30-40*, everything tuning wise changes bigtime the more you tip the can,,  :-)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:04:56 PM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
Buddy, you're just bound and determined to blow that pretty motor up, aren't 'cha?  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
Ok guys, I know nothing about nitro, but NEED to! :-o

In our quest for 200 mph with the flathead, we'll be running on fuel. Any pointers on the use of nitro with a blower is appreciated!

What Stan said, and double your budget depending on the percentage of Nitro. I wish you the best.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
Start building your back-up motor.

loloutloud.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »
Do you fee obligated to kill your project in 2013?

BLOWER? FUEL?  OK!!  But start with alky.

In science courses in college the rule was to make one change at at time.

If you don't you won't know what killed the engine.

Don't try to learn it out of a book. Get someone that can assist you

that has had experience with supercharging and fuel.

Use the money you save and buy cat food.

For the first time in my life I am organizing a Prayer Circle: just for You.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
You guys are making me laugh!

....and a whole lot nervous! :-o

Buddy, you're just bound and determined to blow that pretty motor up, aren't 'cha?  :wink:

Chris, I DON'T WANT to blow it up, but pushing it to 200 mph is no easy feat- some parts may have to be sacrificed to the 'Salt Gods'!

Do you fee obligated to kill your project in 2013?

BLOWER? FUEL?  OK!!  But start with alky.

In science courses in college the rule was to make one change at at time.

If you don't you won't know what killed the engine.

Don't try to learn it out of a book. Get someone that can assist you

that has had experience with supercharging and fuel.

Use the money you save and buy cat food.

For the first time in my life I am organizing a Prayer Circle: just for You.

FREUD

Aw, it'll be alright-or not! :evil:

I'll gather everything I need, study up on it, then take everything to John Beck. We'll dyno it with the gas setup, to get a baseline.

After that, we'll tune it with alky, and see where we're at, and add the juice until we get 800 HP, or need the kitty litter!  :mrgreen:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »
  Just a few basic parameters:  I built my 496 Dart BBC to run on 30% max Nitro (unblown) using 12 1/4 to 1 Compression which is as far as I feel is safe for 30% (okay, what the hell,  lets make it 35%)!
  Basicly, I used a Dart Big M tall deck block with billet main caps, ARP main studs, Callies Crank, Carrillo rods ($2200 a set), JE pistons, Barnes six stage Dry Sump oil pump, external JK water pump, Donavan Gear Drive, front driven Mallory Mag IV, Comp Cams Cam and Roller Lifters, Jessel shaft rockers and 7/16" pushrods on Dart Heads, using ARP head studs, Cometic Head Gaskets (MLS), and NO O-Rings head to deck. I use a Edelbrock tunnel ram with a Enderle hat and a front drive Enderle pump.
  Now add up the cost of those parts and keep in mind that every four runs I get to remove the $700. pan to replace the rod bearings and now you are in the ballpark........
NOT INCLUDING THE BLOWER which you better be ready to restrip every four or so passes.
  Add in a new blower belt every few runs, and don't forget that the oil in the engine (I run eight gallons) must be changed every pass because of dillution.
  Now if you have the ball's to fire it up, try to remember to back the motor down first or your new blower and hat will be in your neghbors yard or living room, and you will never hear clearly again.
  Oh, once it fires, you are doomed................. nothing (except maybe Beer and Sex) will ever be of interest to you except....................... NITROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
                                                                                                                           One Run Bob (maybe 32% should be where I stop)  :roll:

Bob Drury

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
  I wonder if Austin Coil is bored and ready to destroy something? He always put his thumb and forefinger together in front of Force's w/sgield just when he wanted John to stage the car. Force said that he figured out that the sign meant that he had zero chance of getting to the other end without being on fire. A couple of backup motors will be a good idea. I think alcohol would be a good start.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 09:49:45 PM »
  Just a few basic parameters:  I built my 496 Dart BBC to run on 30% max Nitro (unblown) using 12 1/4 to 1 Compression which is as far as I feel is safe for 30% (okay, what the hell,  lets make it 35%)!
  Basicly, I used a Dart Big M tall deck block with billet main caps, ARP main studs, Callies Crank, Carrillo rods ($2200 a set),   . . .

Buddy, you've got 40% fewer main bearings than Bob, and you want to run Blown on Nitro?  :?

I understand that Colorado just legalized pot, but DUDE, you don't have to advertise it . . .

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 11:33:39 PM »
This seems like something to learn about on an inline four cylinder that is easier to work on and has a lot fewer parts to buy and modify.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »
I know the MG factory team of 1957 was running 86% methanol with nitrobenzene, acetone and sulphuric ether in the EX 181.  That was a four banger with dual overhead cams and 3 mains, supercharged, 90 CI and they got 290 hp out of it.  They buzzed it up to better than 7 grand, but there was a whole lot less reciprocating mass, and a lot less car to push down the salt.  And it certainly didn’t hurt that they had a fistful of factory engineers on the project, along with a deep reserve of cash.

I guess I shouldn’t be so mean, but there’s still so much that you still question about this combination that to jump into Funny Car Fuel is a step farther than seems prudent.  I agree with Stay'tee – inch your way up on this one, and monitor everything.

I’m going to be there this August – Freud and I will be the ones with the prayer beads.