Author Topic: Mclaren Maverick  (Read 9002 times)

Offline Ivan S

• New folks
Mclaren Maverick
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:12:13 AM »
These images have just been linked to on another bboard and a quick google image search brings up the flickr files - first time I've seen a photo of it other than hidden at the back of the Mclaren store, looks like they've had it on display in their foyer recently:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmstalker/7963551586/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmstalker/7963533198/in/photostream/

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Mclaren Maverick
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:23:46 AM »
I don't remember it as ever having run. Is this correct? If not, why? It sure looks potent!

Pete

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »
According to Wikipedia

In 1993, Ron Dennis announced the formation of McLaren Advanced Vehicles (MAV) and an attack on the Land Speed Record with the Maverick supersonic car. Bob Bell was recruited as the technical director for the project.[4] The project was given a budget of £25 million,[5] but after the success of Richard Noble and Andy Green's Thrust SSC, the project was shelved.

Offline TD

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:29:48 AM »
Thanks for posting the links.  These are the first images I've seen of the vehicle (or of a mock-up, which this seems like to me).

It was said that Ayrton Senna was to drive the car.

Offline IvanP

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »
Thanks for posting Ivan.

I have only seen two articles in print media describing the MAVerick project. One, a few paragraphs in length and the other being a well written piece by Nigel Roebuck.
Whatever it's worth, look for these titles...
Popular Mechanics - September 1995 and Autoweek - Vol.44 Issue 2

The other Ivan. :-)

Offline mason71

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
Thanks for posting Ivan.

I have only seen two articles in print media describing the MAVerick project. One, a few paragraphs in length and the other being a well written piece by Nigel Roebuck.
Whatever it's worth, look for these titles...
Popular Mechanics - September 1995 and Autoweek - Vol.44 Issue 2

The other Ivan. :-)

Here is the article : http://books.google.com/books?id=_2MEAAAAMBAJ&q=mclaren#v=snippet&q=mclaren&f=false

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »
If you can find a copy of Motoring News (UK Motorsport newspaper) dated 22nd & 29th December 1993, then the story by freelance writer (now) David Tremayne (DJT) covered two A3 pages and included a very reasonable sketch of how the MAVerick was expected to look. Ron Dennis had ensured that during the press briefing absolutely no photographs could be taken or drawings made in the room of the sound barrier car. Once the briefing was over there were many journalists drawing what the mock up of the car looked like from memory in corridors outside the media centre. Autosport (UK motorsport magazine) 23rd and 30th December 1993 used Jim Bamber to interpret what their journalist ahd seen - fair representations. 

The February 1994 issue of Motor Sport magazine was to have included a more detailed story by DJT.

Once the MAVerick project faltered, the Science Museum kept the mock up in its stores facility. Now it is back in the McLaren Technology Centre. Ron Dennis declined help from the Speed Record Club to find it a fitting home between '93 and '97.

Malcolm 
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.