Author Topic: Classic Production (Supercharged) Question  (Read 11191 times)

Offline CTX-SLPR

Re: Classic Production (Supercharged) Question
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »
I'll freely admit to be a complete noob here and I'm not trying to pick apart the rules to find a technicality.  I'm just familure with certain things and want to check if they are legal or not.  I'm an avid Buick nut and knowing that the 1978-81 Turbo6's fit the CPS class greatly sparked my interest.  I am taking a deep breath and waiting for that rulebook and being able to read it, mark it up, etc...  This has gotten sticky enough that I'm going to wait till I have something specific, i.e. a Crane HI-6R with TR2 and MAP, before I approach the final authority on the matter.

I know nothing about what works or doesn't on the Salt in terms of tires so I'm not so much looking for an extra mph but to save myself the fustration and cost of trying something that has been available for years and I assumed has been tried by someone.  I do plan on building it as strong as I can afford and going as fast as I dare on it.  I know my limits of budget and am trying to race within my means.  What's better than shooting for a record as a motivator if I'm just as happy just to get a liscence and claim something like "the fastest Before Black Turbo Buick"?

Thanks for the clarification on the "mix and match" I sorta thought it was body panels only but having spent near 0 time with the community I wasn't sure where the line was drawn.  It's a Sky Hawk that's the Monza clone by the way.
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »

Don't know if you have ever heard of Buddy Engersoll (sp) tubo Buick low 7s and maybe 200mph in late 1980s
Pro-stockers wouldn't let him in their class, even though the 278 cu in turbo was closer to something you could buy than their 500 in. motors.
 You would only be 8 yrs old at the time.
  Ken Duttwiler, engine builder for SpeedDemon, raced and built turboed Buicks at the drags at that time also.
  Located in saticoy Ca. near Ventura. Maybe he would know a good combo.

JL222

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
I know nothing about what works or doesn't on the Salt

You can fix that by going.  IMO those that go beforehand to scope things out tend to do much better their first time out with a car than those that don't.  Going at least once will answer most of any questions you could possibly have. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 01:15:43 PM »
I'll freely admit to be a complete noob here and I'm not trying to pick apart the rules to find a technicality.  I'm just familure with certain things and want to check if they are legal or not.  I'm an avid Buick nut and knowing that the 1978-81 Turbo6's fit the CPS class greatly sparked my interest.  I am taking a deep breath and waiting for that rulebook and being able to read it, mark it up, etc...  This has gotten sticky enough that I'm going to wait till I have something specific, i.e. a Crane HI-6R with TR2 and MAP, before I approach the final authority on the matter.

I know nothing about what works or doesn't on the Salt in terms of tires so I'm not so much looking for an extra mph but to save myself the fustration and cost of trying something that has been available for years and I assumed has been tried by someone.  I do plan on building it as strong as I can afford and going as fast as I dare on it.  I know my limits of budget and am trying to race within my means.  What's better than shooting for a record as a motivator if I'm just as happy just to get a liscence and claim something like "the fastest Before Black Turbo Buick"?

Thanks for the clarification on the "mix and match" I sorta thought it was body panels only but having spent near 0 time with the community I wasn't sure where the line was drawn.  It's a Sky Hawk that's the Monza clone by the way.

Just rambling:

If the record you're aiming at is under 200mph, you can run "speed rated" tires.  This saves a lot of money, since LSR specific tires and custom wheels to fit them are crazy expensive.  If you order through Tire Rack, have them "shaved" before shipping.

Carburetor and magneto makes as much if not more HP than digital systems AFAIK, and I'm someone who tunes engines with Excel.  I like digital because it makes the vehicle streetable, not because there is a Magic Table that makes basic rules of combustion obsolete.  There is no such table, but it is a running joke with late model racers.  Not sure why you could run state-of-the-art mechanical components, yet not run digital electronics, but at least it's not a handicap.

The first engine I turbo'd, I ran fixed timing (spot welded backing plate).  Seemed to run pretty hard when the boost needle moved.  Off the boost it was a mutt.  There is a LOT of room to make boost.  You can go more than a mile waiting for boost with no downside.
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »
Thanks for the Sky Hawk correction. I knew it was Sky xxxxx but, old age took over.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
Rule book showed up today and I'm starting to read it.

One question I have about reading it.  Should I extend Production rules such as body mods, drivetrain (trans, diff, "engine family"), and other non technology type rules into Classic Production since I read the Classic section and it was fairly light on details. 

Thanks,
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:50 AM »
Yes, cps is classic PRODUCTION supercharged so production rules apply.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dw230

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »
There is a sentnece in the Classic intro which points the builder to the same classes in the Production or Modified Categories. This is to save space in the rulebook.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline OldStude

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
How's the Buick project coming? Any pics?

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
"I've personally never really liked or admired "rules racers" - those being the folks that look through the rule book for weak rules to exploit to their advantage. "

Smokey Yunick? Stirling Moss? Don Garlits?

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:48 PM »
Pistons: Check
Heads: Check
Valves: Check
Rockers: Check
Crank: Check
Timing Cover: Have one, we'll see if it works
Intake: Working on modifying and fabricating for MFI
Cam: Maybe, I have one though it might not be a good idea for a turbo application... we'll see there

Block: Not so far, have a lead on something that might work with the pistons I already have
Connecting Rods: Waiting on specs before committing to buy
Pushrods: Nope, too many variables to buy yet
Piston Pins: Shopping for some
Rings: Ehhh... pistons are old school and I'll probably end up with similarly old school rings
Flexplate: SBC unit, shouldn't be too hard to find
Balancer: Have and idea, need to hit the junkyard and grab one
Lifters: Shopping around
Headers: not there yet
Turbo: maybe, depending on how risky I want to get with my current one with nicked wheels
Fuel System: yeah.... let me get back to you
Bearings, timing chain, etc: On order but waiting to see what else I need since I don't have anything to put it in quite yet
Ignition: Distributor yes... but it's missing a rotor, cap, and coil; and it's a points unit that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with quite yet

Car: One step at a time... I've got to get my '64 Riviera working first.
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790