Author Topic: Electronic Spark Control (7-pin HEI) in Classic Production  (Read 2017 times)

Offline CTX-SLPR

Electronic Spark Control (7-pin HEI) in Classic Production
« on: December 23, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »
Howdy,

I've got a big tech question on what is legal for Classic Production in regards to the "no EFI" rule.  Now I've ordered, but not recieved, my rulebook so this may be answered but it's bugging me too much to just let go.
Can I run the "7-pin HEI" which uses a computer to control advance vs. a vacuum canister in addition to having retard functions for things like hot coolant and knock?  This was factory equipment on all Buick Turbo6's and NA 4.1's from thier introduction in 1978 (81 for the 4.1) till EFI took over and the 4.1 disappeared in 1984.  I believe it would be allowed but I want to check.

Now based on the fact that I believe it to be allowed, can I take an aftermarket unit like a Megasquirt and use it instead of the factory ESC computer to do the same thing?  I've seen pictures of MSD BTM (Boost Timing Master) module on an E/CPS Studebaker in conjuction with a MSD-6AL.  Considering the function of a BTM with the new Digital 6AL, it's basically the same as a full on Megasquirt other than it only does timing correction for boost and a custom advance curve vs. the Megasquirt's potential to do much more.  I'm not planning on using the rest of the Megasquirts control capability (other than maybe things like warning lights and TCC lockup) but I do plan on datalogging with it.  Is this plan legal?

Thanks,
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Electronic Spark Control (7-pin HEI) in Classic Production
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 05:21:15 PM »
OEM EFI is allowed.... sensor controlled ignitions are allowed as long as the are stock and not modified in any way for the vehicle you are running. 
Your assumptions should be directed to the scta tech chair for classics, get reply in writing, put it in you log book.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O