Author Topic: solid front wheel material  (Read 15126 times)

Offline fastlammy

Re: solid front wheel material
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »
Two questions
1... Is this a streamliner?
2....Have you contacted with anyone on the SCTA motorcycle committee with the the wheel   &  Issue and size. If so get it in writing.
Good luck on your build.

Hi Glen

to answer your question

1.. yes motorcycle 175cc Lambretta motor-scooter powered
2.. No, but have rule book and have been working my way though it so i can submit my planed build to the committee

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »
Search this site for Gene burklands comments on aircraft tires at high speed. In spin testing F-16 tires for possible use on their streamliner the heavy beads on the aircraft tires were their weak point. Because of the bead reinforcement weight they expanded radialy and deflated the tire at high RPM.

Thanks for your post, but i don't think I'm ever going to go as fast as them guys, and i cant see myself going over 170mph maybe less.

Offline Jon

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »
Hi Fastlammy

Are you going to run the standard diameter rim on the back?

Have you looked at extending the swing arm and running a bigger diameter?
Could help you in a lot of ways, tyre availability, gearing etc.

Not trying to tell you how to build your bike, just thinking out loud.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline jdincau

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:18 PM »
Thanks for your post, but i don't think I'm ever going to go as fast as them guys, and i cant see myself going over 170mph maybe less.
You are right I guess I was responding to justaracers posts.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »
Hi Jon

Thanks for the input, the swing arm is the engine so it could be but is a lot of welding you have trust your life with it, i had thought of just putting a sprocket on where the drum goes to and solid mounting the engine with a new swing arm, but ive decided it not in the spirit of build i true scooter powered stream liner, if a 125cc lambretta could do 121mph back in 1951 I must be able to do better and am willing to try, luckily new 5 speed kits have been released last year(4 gears are standard) So i think this will help a lot along with the taller dia of the air craft rear tire.

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »

No worries thanks for your post.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »
You may want to check the rules. I know in SCTA there's a minimum diameter for conventional motorcycles' wheels and it eliminates scooters.

Pete

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »
that's why im building a stream liner. thanks

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:45 PM »

Interesting.  The F-16 tires are 217kts, 250mph. 25.5x8.0-14.  

I was told the Phoenix ran jet aircraft tires at over 280mph?  This is why I had looked into them, as my goal had been 220 with a ~36" tall tire.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:25:55 PM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:18 PM »
The 18x4.4 tires we use on the front of Bockscar have been 246 so far.  They are rated to 217 Knots... 249.7 MPH. 
The 20x4.4 rears that we run in small motor classes are rated for 190 Knots, 218 MPH, in 2001 we went 230.5 with those as drive tires. 
We shaved the fronts about 15 years ago, may shave the rears for fun one of these days.

There have been several successful vehicles running jet tires, need to run them with plenty of pressure.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jon

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 02:42:11 AM »
Hi Jon

Thanks for the input, the swing arm is the engine so it could be but is a lot of welding you have trust your life with it, i had thought of just putting a sprocket on where the drum goes to and solid mounting the engine with a new swing arm, but ive decided it not in the spirit of build i true scooter powered stream liner, if a 125cc lambretta could do 121mph back in 1951 I must be able to do better and am willing to try, luckily new 5 speed kits have been released last year(4 gears are standard) So i think this will help a lot along with the taller dia of the air craft rear tire.

I'm getting you now.

The 5 speed kit should be handy, more split between bottom and top or just smaller splits in the middle.

have a spreadsheet to play with gearing, tyre sizes, engine power curves and drag estimates, if you want I can send you a copy.
Hours of useless entertainment but it does help with some of the what if questions.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply,the Goodyear website has been very helpful with online info, and Ive downloaded the aircraft tire catalog, Ive been looking at a 18-4.25-10 tire, but i still want to find out if i will need to run the high pressure as advertised in the specs as I'm not going to have the same loaded as an aircraft, the tire listed above requires the least pressure out of the best suitable(100psi 2300 lbs rating 210 mph) and most importantly is not to big to fit on my lambretta engine casings.with regards to a rim I'm currently looking into using a Hiper composite rim which is. 3pc  http://hiperracingwheels.com/  I plan on making my chassis with my legs either side of the forks, same as the bubbfab bike. this was why i thought running a solid wheel would be a good idea as it would give me more room as i could run nice narrow forks.

I'd run full recommended pressure.  The pressure keeps the tire in the correct shape for it's speed rating. 

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:11 PM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply,the Goodyear website has been very helpful with online info, and Ive downloaded the aircraft tire catalog, Ive been looking at a 18-4.25-10 tire, but i still want to find out if i will need to run the high pressure as advertised in the specs as I'm not going to have the same loaded as an aircraft, the tire listed above requires the least pressure out of the best suitable(100psi 2300 lbs rating 210 mph) and most importantly is not to big to fit on my lambretta engine casings.with regards to a rim I'm currently looking into using a Hiper composite rim which is. 3pc  http://hiperracingwheels.com/  I plan on making my chassis with my legs either side of the forks, same as the bubbfab bike. this was why i thought running a solid wheel would be a good idea as it would give me more room as i could run nice narrow forks.

I'd run full recommended pressure.  The pressure keeps the tire in the correct shape for it's speed rating. 

Thanks for that, Any one got any good contacts for aircraft breaking yards? just want to get an idea on the price of a rim, just had a estimate of $1200 US to make one.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »
Not an expert -

All I know about aircraft parts, is that ones without paperwork are cheap, ones with paperwork are expensive.  And you need a part number to get anywhere.  A single jet model might use 10 different versions of the same item depending it's build and history.  We are still getting F4 Phantom stuff in at work with "old revision levels".  A "newer" part won't fit.  Why they need Phantom parts is a mystery to me.  Target Drones?

ie - If you know a tire goes on a 737, it doesn't mean that all 737 wheels will work with that tire model. 

Offline fastlammy

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 02:28:19 AM »
Thanks JustaRacer

Any suitable rims at your work?