Author Topic: American gas roadster  (Read 18843 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: American gas roadster
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 08:37:08 AM »
SS # 1---its un limited

Goodnes guys this sounds just like brackett racing---no thanks---I would bet there are lots of records that can be bumped  IF they started to NOODLE this thing by body choices, rear axle choices, trans choices, eng choices---but the bottom line if one  choose a class that is pretty hard--you are going to have to do all of them and MOTHER NATURE is going to have to smile with a good track and good weather.
I most likely will not bring a NA eng to August any more----because I will need "Mother" on my side to get where I need to be.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:16:39 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 03:08:41 AM »
A very interesting concept for a class..... My take is that it is a "SHOOTOUT CLASS"..... It would have been even more interesting if there were TWO engine size classes (with B as the larger one)

It would also be very cool to charge, say, an extra $50 to every entrant in the class so that they all get a "ROADSTER WARS SHOOTOUT" trophy with their name and fastest speed....

What is to NOT like about this idea for a class?..... maybe that it is not limited to only running "crate motors".... at a cost of around $5000?

Now....how about the same idea in a belly tank (ONLY) Lakester class?

LOL
I have been thinking about what I said in my first post.... at first it seemed like such a cool idea..... and then, I got to remembering NHRA econo dragster.... the first year it looked like a lot of people running what today would almost be "crate" motors.... and by about the third year, the highly sought after stock parts were being priced into the stratosphere.... (example - does anyone know about the "461X" SBC head casting?) there was NOTHING econo about the class anymore....

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline vintagehotrod

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
I still like it , and I dont think it will get to crazy for awhile.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 03:06:05 PM »
It will be fun until the "nut" farmers decide to step it up. :cheers:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 03:09:11 PM »

I have said it before but my 5 year old has financed a fair amount of that operation with all the dried mangos he has gone through!!!!!! :-D

Offline fastman614

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 02:06:27 AM »
I still like it , and I dont think it will get to crazy for awhile.

I have said it before but my 5 year old has financed a fair amount of that operation with all the dried mangos he has gone through!!!!!! :-D

Well, I do know that I won't be able to sneak any of our Dodge R5 engines in as old 318 polysphericals.... So, looking through the parts on hand, I found a pair of iron Chev LS6 heads (bare), a 1970 BBC 396/402 block, a 1970 LS7 block, a 3.30" stroke crank from our "Big Chief" 434" engine, Carillo rods and a box of miscellaneous parts (pushrods, old pistons, bolts etc).... I know where I can borrow a worked over tunnel ram with two dominators as well....

Hmmmmm..... I wonder what a 370" rotating assembly under a set of well ported big port open chamber heads could do in the horsepower department.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 08:41:31 AM »
I don't know--- but I will trade my new and un used 3.1 BBC crank for your 3.30 BBC crank  :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline vintagehotrod

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
Ill take the 3.1 or the 3.3 if either of you want to sell them.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
That combo may well be a challenge to the early Olds, Buicks, Cadillacs, Studebakers, Lincolns and Plymouths that are sitting around, waiting to run next year.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Burk

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »
Joe Law used a 348 crank (3.250") in his C engine .

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
Maybe a all roadster meet as there is no shortage of them, how about in March while it's still cool and no one else will want to run as the lines should be long. Have fun. :cheers: :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fastman614

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 12:49:57 AM »
That combo may well be a challenge to the early Olds, Buicks, Cadillacs, Studebakers, Lincolns and Plymouths that are sitting around, waiting to run next year.
Stan, I am guessing that you are talking about the circa early 70s BBC that is buildable with the parts I have on hand.... It would be a pretty stout combo, I think. I know that the early large port open chamber heads would do well with an engine in the 360 to 370 cubic inch area - especially if worked over. The trouble is though, that these heads are completely untouched and probably worth a bunch to a purist collector..... I know that worked over heads from that era are available in this area (and from anywhere else in North America by way of UPS or Fedex etc....and probably for the same amount of $$$$ as what it would cost for a quality flow bench porting job....

As you say though, the people who are waiting to trot out ther early Olds, Buick, Caddy etc engines would probably be "left behind" by the horsepower available with what could be done with a late 60s/early 70s model BBC or Chrysler 426 hemi running at 370 cu. in..... in the end, those with the coin to build the engines and running gear will be the ultimate record setters.....and the class will be a lot less fun when that happens.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 01:06:54 AM »
They won't be left behind cause we no that their not going to show up............all a dream and of course another page in the book..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline fastman614

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 03:57:02 AM »
They won't be left behind cause we no that their not going to show up............all a dream and of course another page in the book..

Unfortunately.....yeah.....

Offline toclub

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
You guys should check out the add posted here on Landracing on Nov. 1st this year in the for sale category. Complete assembly for a 365 cu. in. BBC.  The perfect fit for this class.