Author Topic: American gas roadster  (Read 18844 times)

Offline vintagehotrod

• New folks
American gas roadster
« on: December 22, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
 I kinda like the idea , is there any more written rules on this class? Trans rules , quickchange ok?
I cant see it being any cheaper but as an old school engine builder  I think it would be fun to actually try making power with oem heads just like the good old days. Yes its true that the BBchev should dominate or maybe early hemi's. The cost of a destroked crank might chase a few poeple off but I wonder.
 Dave and I had lunch today and talked about bringing the 811 back out to run in this class , I allready have most of the parts needed exept a 3.300" chevy crank , anyone.......I would take a 3.250"...anyone.....
I think a resourcefull person could build a record contending engine in the $7500.-$10,000. range. I know the C/G roadster engines cost alote more than that!!
Lets face it , if you want to go 200 mph in a roadster its gonna cost money , even more if you want the record. If thats to much for you there are other classes and vehicle types that will give you more bang for the buck .
Anyone else here thinking about running this new class?

Offline Stan Back

Re: American gas roadster
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:35:03 PM »
Well, John, you're right on all accounts.  But only one guy is gonna wear the crown.  And the other old-school guys are gonna be runner-ups.  So we didn't need another class for the runner-ups -- some of us are already running in that category.  No one has prevented them from running in the regular classes.  Once someone sets the bar high -- which it is in the regular classes, they'll go back into hiding -- if they're all out there with their engines reving waiting on this opportunity.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »
John,

As mentioned in the beginning of the writeup the class is the same as the current Gas Roadster. Cage, fire system, trans(no restrictions), all same same. Cost savings? I don't see it.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fastman614

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »
A very interesting concept for a class..... My take is that it is a "SHOOTOUT CLASS"..... It would have been even more interesting if there were TWO engine size classes (with B as the larger one)

It would also be very cool to charge, say, an extra $50 to every entrant in the class so that they all get a "ROADSTER WARS SHOOTOUT" trophy with their name and fastest speed....

What is to NOT like about this idea for a class?..... maybe that it is not limited to only running "crate motors".... at a cost of around $5000?

Now....how about the same idea in a belly tank (ONLY) Lakester class?

LOL
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:34:21 AM »
Ok here are the new rules for this class.

5.B.2.a American Gas Roadster – C/AGR (Gas only)
This is a single displacement engine class only. All rules which pertain to the existing Fuel/Gas Roadster class, 5.2.B, above will be enforced in this class. The engine used must be an American Automotive Production or Light Duty Pick Up Truck engines produced prior to 1973. The maximum engine displacement is 372.99 cid (6.111 L). The engine can be of a larger OEM displacement and reduced to the class maximum by reducing the bore and/or stroke. All engines in this class must run OEM iron blocks and cylinder heads. The burden of proof as to the origin of the engine components lies with the competitor. Induction can be either carburetors, mechanical fuel injection. Ignition must be a single magneto or points distributor. No EFI, computer controlled ignition, data collection, etc. computers are allowed.
Engine class allowed: C

The concern I have for this class is very simple. The way I read the rules it only requires American Automotive Production (OEM) castings for the heads and block produced prior to 1973. It does not say they have to remain in original configuration. Now we will have people raising the ports on OEM heads just like they did back in the early 70's in Pro Stock class at the drags. It also does not say you cannot have a  sheetmetal intake. etc.

Without stricter rules on this class, you will see this class go the way the vintage engine classes have gone. $$$$$

IMO it should have included, Factory Crankshaft, Factory rocker arms, No Titanium valves, No sheetmetal intake manifolds, only cast factory or cast aftermarket intake manifolds, that match original factory gaskets.  Head ports must align with original factory gaskets, Cam lift multiplied by rocker arm ratio limited to no more than .600" valve lift, OEM rod and main bearings for specific year of motor block, example chevy 400 block must use 2.65 main bearings and not sized down 350, 2.45 main or 283, 2.30 main. Oil system must be wet sump, Combustion chambers must be original factory CC's, etc. With rules like this it would make for some fun racing and keep the costs down.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:55:08 AM »
Ok here are the new rules for this class.

5.B.2.a American Gas Roadster – C/AGR (Gas only)
This is a single displacement engine class only. All rules which pertain to the existing Fuel/Gas Roadster class, 5.2.B, above will be enforced in this class. The engine used must be an American Automotive Production or Light Duty Pick Up Truck engines produced prior to 1973. The maximum engine displacement is 372.99 cid (6.111 L). The engine can be of a larger OEM displacement and reduced to the class maximum by reducing the bore and/or stroke. All engines in this class must run OEM iron blocks and cylinder heads. The burden of proof as to the origin of the engine components lies with the competitor. Induction can be either carburetors, mechanical fuel injection. Ignition must be a single magneto or points distributor. No EFI, computer controlled ignition, data collection, etc. computers are allowed.
Engine class allowed: C

The concern I have for this class is very simple. The way I read the rules it only requires American Automotive Production (OEM) castings for the heads and block produced prior to 1973. It does not say they have to remain in original configuration. Now we will have people raising the ports on OEM heads just like they did back in the early 70's in Pro Stock class at the drags. It also does not say you cannot have a  sheetmetal intake. etc.

Without stricter rules on this class, you will see this class go the way the vintage engine classes have gone. $$$$$

IMO it should have included, Factory Crankshaft, Factory rocker arms, No Titanium valves, No sheetmetal intake manifolds, only cast factory or cast aftermarket intake manifolds, that match original factory gaskets.  Head ports must align with original factory gaskets, Cam lift multiplied by rocker arm ratio limited to no more than .600" valve lift, OEM rod and main bearings for specific year of motor block, example chevy 400 block must use 2.65 main bearings and not sized down 350, 2.45 main or 283, 2.30 main. Oil system must be wet sump, Combustion chambers must be original factory CC's, etc. With rules like this it would make for some fun racing and keep the costs down.

Tom G.

Tom - I think that you just said in words here the concerns that I had stirring around in my brain....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
You should have made some input Tom when the class was presented at your club meeting.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »
This will end up just like the DRAG boys with exoitc--- heads tweaked by one or two guys  at $20,000 to be competetive!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »
My thought exactly Sparky. Cost savings?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
My motorsport of choice ( drag racing ) wasnt cheap when I was forced to stop due to theft of car 8 years ago and as I keep getting reminded and reading, LSR isnt a poors man sport either no matter what class you choose. Makes me question why in the world would I wanna start  :roll: lol

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »
Frankie maybe you are just another sick puppy like the rest of us "salt fever" fiends  :-D  lol

Sounds like we need to have another USFRA type event!  RUN what you brung with saftey inspections on fire and cage requirements: WHAT can you do??

1.   mile       what can you do
1.5 mile       what can you do     
2.0 mile---  that's it--- what you can do in 2
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »
Frankie maybe you are just another sick puppy like the rest of us "salt fever" fiends  :-D  lol

Sounds like we need to have another USFRA type event!  RUN what you brung with saftey inspections on fire and cage requirements: WHAT can you do??

1.   mile       what can you do
1.5 mile       what can you do     
2.0 mile---  that's it--- what you can do in 2

Bill, they  already have the 1 and 2... you can do 139 and 159  :-D

Back to subject... I guess there were just not enough opportunities to lodge protests in street roadster any more...  :roll: this should get those back on track.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
How is this not a class for Small block Chevys and 354 Chryslers? Neither of which need any help. if I was making a "Classic V8" class my rules would have a "Single rocker shaft per bank" rule. Then i would make an exception for Pontiacs and 348 Chevys. If guys want to run a Chrysler, use a poly head. Or a wedge head engine. Otherwise it's just more of the same. One more trophy to hand out.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:29:00 AM by RichFox »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »

Back to subject... I guess there were just not enough opportunities to lodge protests in street roadster any more...  this should get those back on track. 
 :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 12:48:35 AM »
I agree with DW where is the cost savings for this new class?, hey I have an idea to keep it cheap, all we have to do is say that no one can spend more than $10K total on this class and you have to show cost records, and if you spend over $10K any racer can walk up to your car and offer you $10K for it and you must sell it for that price to the new owner, thus, this will keep this new racing class cheap, don't they do that in horse racing as a claimer race???  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine