Author Topic: How To Determine Safe Piston Speed?  (Read 16443 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: How To Determine Safe Piston Speed?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 04:57:41 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I guess it's a case of 'run what you brung'!

We have what we have, so we'll build for 6000 RPM, and see if we need kitty litter or not! :-o
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: How To Determine Safe Piston Speed?
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
I guess it's a case of 'run what you brung'!

We have what we have, so we'll build for 6000 RPM, and see if we need kitty litter or not! :-o

Buddy,

Based on my experience, useable mean piston speeds have increased in the last 20/30 years, primarily due to better materials, heat-treating & coatings.   Mean piston speeds of 5000 ft/min are now being used regularly in endurance (500 miles) racing.   From an engineering standpoint, lower is always better, but often you are locked into a build geometry.  Higher mean piston speeds are being used for brief periods, ie: drag racing.   Your requirements are somewhere in between, based on inspection/service interval.

For your engine geometry:  5000 ft/min mean piston speed ~ 6500 rpm;  this is 7870 ft/min maximum piston speed.
                                         This results in 119,023 maximum piston acceleration in ft/sec/sec.  This is lightweight, narrow ring territory
                                         & it also requires very tight ring to groove clearance to prevent the rings from "hammering" the grooves @
                                         high rpm.

Your BMEP in psi is lower than I expected with your combo & dyno test results, which is good.  Until you give me the info I need to calculate the load in "g's", that remains my primary concern.

Expanding the performance envelope always requires a couple of things.  Awareness of the engineering numbers is the first step.  Large or scary numbers can prevent a "guess" that is actually a poor choice.   Developing the engine in incremental stages, with plenty of inspection is the second step.  Some intestinal fortitude helps, but unfortunately, a fat wallet is better.  Even the best engineering cannot forsee or prevent every failure........

You ran the engine briefly to 6100 out on the Salt; that's 4702 ft/min mean P/S; 7386 ft/min max P/S and 104,825 ft/sec/sec max P/A.  Upon inspection @ teardown, there was no evidence of cap walk/fretting/scuffing/etc.  You can check the entrails of a chicken if you want, but I'd say the signs are good to push the rpm up a bit, from 5500/5700 to a maximum of 6100/6200, as long as the load in "g's" is sane and the inspection intervals are short.   You also need to do a dyno run to the max bhp rpm or the max rpm that calculates out to sane loads..........
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein