Author Topic: Pistin Pin Oilers  (Read 12143 times)

Offline Interested Observer

Re: Pistin Pin Oilers
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
38flattie:
You should be very careful about using the pictured valve to apportion oil flow to your engine.  Its original purpose is to simply bleed off flow going to an oil cooler--a relatively low pressure and non-critical function.  While true flow divider, or proportioning valves do exist, primarily for hydraulic systems, they are pressure compensated and considerably more sophisticated than this simple adjustable bypass valve. 

This valve is little more than a tee in the line, and as such, the flow distribution will be largely determined by the relative resistances generated by the crank assembly (which may vary with rpm and temperature) and the piston oiler circuit.  And, to the degree that the valve is throttled to try to influence the distribution, it will necessarily introduce a pressure drop in one branch or the other, or possibly both.  You would be wise to do a lot of pressure monitoring while setting it up, and take steps to keep the adjustment from moving. 

It seems like borrowing trouble.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »
The late model Triumph twins have two oil pumps.  One is for the high pressure lube to critical parts and the other is for the cooling oil and a few of the less important functions.  That concept might be what you need.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »
Buddy, you're scaring me!  :-D

I agree with IO, I like Wobbly’s idea, and if you'll permit me the latitude of being adamant, here's why.

You're oiling 4 throws off of the center bearing, 2 off of the front and 2 off of the back.  Half of your reciprocating assembly is dependent upon consistent oil volume and pressure to the center main bearing.  Any variation in the volume and pressure, particularly to the center main, will give you trouble on the rod bearings.

The girdle obviously stabilized this area, but it's still the weak spot, simply because of the amount of oil the center main needs to deliver.  If you ever encounter an oiling issue, I believe that's where it is going to happen.  I don't know if you've inspected your caps yet, but if they're good, I would proceed with the assumption that you can't get by with less, rather than speculate that you could get by with a 10% drain down.

I think Wobbly has the best solution, and truth be told, if all an auxiliary oil system needs to do is shower the pin and the underside of the piston, it's not going to require all that big a pump.  I'd speculate that you might even see enough hp increase in the cooling effect on the piston to mitigate any additional power drain a small oil pump might draw.

I don't know what kind of volume your oil pump is putting out, and as overbuilt as everything else on this car is, it's likely you have enough oil volume and pressure that my worry is unfounded.  But on the other hand, this build is so far off into uncharted waters that my inclination would be to err on the side of caution.

Now STOP SCARING ME!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:08 AM »
by pass pills or dill holes to feed your secondary  oil needs 

we played with drills and a pressure gauges on main and secondary systems until we knew we were ok at all operating temps.---no moving parts--NOZ pills are cheap and they are designed to be inserted inline.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »
  Buddy,
   We used a small hydraulic pump w/releif pressure cut way back to pull oil out of a separate pickup in the pan and sent oil to a small manifold with 1/8 inch tubing for each piston. We made spray nozzles with 1/8 copper tubing to spray the tops of the rods and piston bottoms. Doing it this way we didn't compromise the engine oiling system. Has worked for several years now and helped eliminate piston failures. Here's an old picture from the outside. You can see the little pump on the lower left.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 09:31:36 PM »
Though I am not seeing the kit on their website now, I used one put together by BLP. The jigs to drill are for common engines (SBC, BBC etc) but I drilled mine free hand. I had spoken with Mike Laws who was very helpful. Give him a call. The instructions are available.

Mike Laws . 
www.blp.com
407-422-3094
800-627-1358
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »
Thanks guys- lots of good ideas here!

I talked to Barnes pumps Friday, and one option we have is replacing the pressure unit with a bigger volume unit, that will give us about 50% more oil. I'm going to do that for sure, but the second pump may still be the best option.

We want to go to vacuum in the engine, so I feel the piston oilers are necessary.

Jack, I'll give Mike a call tomorrow, so that I know all the options available to me! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
Buddy, As mentioned by others why don't you tap into the oil galley?  Its the best way and you could find off the shelf stuff for V8's easily.  That's what I am doing on the GMC, though I have to make my own oilers.  But if you must run a separate system you could "T" off of your return oil line and run a small valve to regulate the oil.  I am using oil to somewhat control the harmonics on the valve sprigs of the GMC and use a small valve that the guys at Roush gave me, its only about 2" x 2".

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline JimL

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 02:04:05 AM »
This definitely has me puzzling; a few years ago I connected my two bike engines at the primary drive, and fed both engines (with piston oilers as original fitment) from one pump in the front engine.  I made an access port and drive adaptor to external run tge oil pump with my air ratchet.  By the time the oil pump was at equivalent crank speed of 1500rpm, the single small pump was showing very high relief flow.  Ok, makes sense because the engines were stopped...but...

Back in my line tech days I had a friends Corolla that was occasionally flickering the oil light at idle (for about 6 months).  Usually a sender, but I found his oil pressure below 5 psi at idle (ok when slightly revved up).  When I got the pan off, I found the rod jounal plug for #1 throw laying in the pan.  Finding no damage on the bearing or journal, I screwed in the plug and it ran for years. 

OK, trying to get to the point here...on our 3s-ge family engines the turbo has piston oilers and non-turbo didnt.  They use the same oil pump, bearings, and clearances.  So why, for example, does my 454 Chev go to 80psi at slightly above idle regardless of temp or age....from what I see, these engines all have excess pumping capacity even at low rpm.

Does this get worse at high rpm?   This whole thread really has me curious.  Thanks, JimL

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
Here is a good article on this subject.   http://hotrodenginetech.com/pin-oiler-prep/
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline POPS

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
If u need checked orifices check out the following.  http://www.okcc.com/PDF/checked%20orifices.pdf