Author Topic: Top 11 Drag Failures:  (Read 2989 times)

Offline JustaRacer

Top 11 Drag Failures:
« on: December 11, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Freud

Re: Top 11 Drag Failures:
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:56:13 PM »
That's an enjoyable post.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »
Pete Robinson was a true innovator -- but he certainly didn't invent drop-in-on-the-ground technology.  Just watched an old Santa Ana video of the first meets and a flathead had one in whatever year that was (1951?).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
That was Creiton Hunter, the car crashed later but he survived. I saw the car run several times. The car had a split front axle that pivoted in the center. The side winder chain drive was interesting to watch launch and the front end lift. Not many rules back then.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dick elliott

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »
Pete Robinson was killed by one of his ideas. The blower air intake ran foward and then down to to the ground to work like a vaccum cleaner. Worked too good, and sucked the car down too much and crashed.
Its better to be a has been, than a never was.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
Couple things re: CREIGHTON Hunter and car.  He dropped the car to the ground (launched) by moving a lever with his right elbow as I recall.
And
Only time yrs truly saw the car is when it appeared at Morrow Field to challenge the Gene's Brake Shop dragster of "Mr Flathead" John Bradley (whose memorial service is Friday morning at 10:30 at the VA cemetery near March Field).

Anyway, Hunter promptly SPANKED Bradley!

Johnny B, who had something like a 36 race win streak going, hauled down to Santa Ana the next day, and got the same treatment!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:44:53 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 12:12:07 AM »
E.J. Potter used jackstands to launch his SBC/Harley bike.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »
12. The "Scotty's Muffler" (flathead Ford?) success elevated him to the forefront of technical innovation. He capitalized on this by pronouncing to his eager audience that the secret to his chassis design was: "the wheelbase is exactly equal to the rear tire circumference. A 30" tire requires a 94.25" WB".
Since most cars were short, it appeared to work and there were far fewer engineers involved at the time (pre-Ramchargers).

Tried, and worked too well:
"Bronco Buster" SBF with aluminum chassis
BuIck GNX in Super Stock (no, they weren't happy with a full-bodied steel car running high 8s in 1990)
Flynn's turbo Pinto

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »
Fire burnouts. 

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
Scotty Fenn of Chassis Research had the wheelbase idea.  Scotty's Muffler (Charles Scott, no relation to Fenn) in the early days usually ran Arduns.  He drag raced his tank with high gear only and runnered-up at an early Santa Ana.

We had a drag roadster, partially sponsored by Scotty's Muffler Service, with Chassis Research parts on it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »
Here's Scotty's Muffler lakes roadster, early 50s.  Notice the filled rear wheel wells.  Show-quality car as every one I saw was.  Probably Evans flathead powered.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »
And here's his famous Ardun-powered T in a parade in Oklahoma City at the '58 Nationals.  It won Best Appearing Car.