Author Topic: John Bradley - "Mr. Flathead"  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Stan Back

John Bradley - "Mr. Flathead"
« on: December 11, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
John Bradley was born Oct 29, 1925 in San Bernardino, died at age 87 living in Dolan Springs AZ. His wife Jeanne passed in 1998. He is survived by his son Frank Bradley in AZ, & a daughter, Lori Holt living in CA. He has 5 grandchildren, Mona & Travis Bradley from CA & Nicky, Holly & Tiger Holt from CA. John was a WWII Navy Veteran & a 60 year member of NHRA & the drag racing community, achieving induction into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame in 1994.  His final resting place will be Riverside National VA Cemetery, he will be interred next to Jeanne with a Military ceremony, Friday, Dec. 14.

Bradley was the legendary flathead drag racer and record-holder in the mid-fifties, and, I believe, was partnered with Bud Morrell (?) in land speed racing.  Please feel free to correct me on this.

Interested Bystander built his last dragster which is currently being restored.

Stan
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:41:31 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

Re: John Bradley - "Mr. Flathead"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this....I really watching John run his FED at the old car drags and antique nats..............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Brian Westerdahl

Re: John Bradley - "Mr. Flathead"
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »
I had the opportunity to talk with John at the AHRA World Finals in Spokane one year for over an hour as we were waiting in line for eleminations.  He was a very interesting guy.  He told me all about his transmission he had built himself.  All the secret Flathead stuff he had done.  It was great.  This was sometime in the early 80s.  Me and my dragster with 5 years expierence and John with 40 years of racing.  I remember it very well.  Really a nice guy.  Mr Flat Head for sure.