Author Topic: Record qualifying on rookie run  (Read 13508 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Record qualifying on rookie run
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
If there was no point system there would be no minimums. No one cares if an antique Triumph sets a record at 34 miles an hour on an open record.

In the points system, he would pick up bonus points for the record. Then he would reset the record at 36, 38, 40, etc. Picking up bonus points every run. That's why you need competitive records.

That same experienced Triumph rider hardly needs a rookie run.  Just behind him in line is the guy that drives an old Volkswagen on the street, just inherited a bunch of money, and bought a AA lakester. That's the guy the rookie rules are written for.

Every rookie run is watched under a magnifying glass because it only takes one over ambitious guy to ruin it for everyone. Leave the rookie runs alone they work fine.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
Over the years when I was the Chief timer I rejected a few rookie runs for a few reasons. This is in direct communication with the starter who signs the license upgrades. The system works and shouldn't be changed.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
Why fix something that isn't broken? Nathan and the rest of his crew should be complimented for what they do and have to put up with.   Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
I started at B'ville---if you have a fairly fast ride that would be my suggestion --B'ville is a MUCH more forgiving venue than El M -- you NEED to KNOW YOU and your ride pretty well to run at El M,  IMO-- YMMV 

The tracks 3 & 4  can not be beat for the guys that run them and SHEPPARD rookies  I have have extensive experience with my self with a formerly ill handing car and 2 rookies we lisc up to AA before we went to El M.

Those 2 tracks are one of the best things to happen to LSR in a long time for NuBs or new cars that one is getting acquainted with!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »
Like Maguromic says, why fix something that isn't broken.   To me it sounds like a one and done is looking for a quick record. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline dw230

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
Stop beating around the bush and being so pc.

"Proposing a change to lock a record down or make it easier for a few to somehow be important is an insult to the vets and the past is all I'm saying..."

Who does the change protect and might as well give examples of how the process has defeated competitiors or scared away potentials over the years.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth