Author Topic: Record qualifying on rookie run  (Read 13488 times)

Offline metermatch

Record qualifying on rookie run
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »
I just noticed a rule change for 2013 at Bonneville regarding rookie runs and setting records.

It says a rookie driver/rider may qualify for a record on the rookie run if the existing record is less than 150 mph.

Any possibility that rule will be extended to El Mirage?

Jeff

Offline dw230

Re: Record qualifying on rookie run
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »
Bring it up at your club meeting. The El Mirage procedure change meetings are approaching.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »
Its my understanding that one can not set a record at El M out of the "rookie line", that is for rookie orientation and lisc. up only!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »
I believe you're right, Sparky.  But as Dan suggests, that can be changed.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
If it's not permitted, perhaps there is a reason?

Rookies can run earlier in the day than their points would permit them to do IIRC.

In other words, it can give a possible unearned speed advantage when running against an existing record?  Might get the existing record holder a little miffed?  Or get more points than normal.

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »
They usually run the other lines out for a while before they send rookies.  And having a speed limit on them leads to not destroying the course as much as higher speed cars would.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
I remember running early, but not sure how many cars ran first.  

It would only be significant to records under 150?

In other words, if the record was hard to set at 96mph, it would behoove you to put a rookie in the saddle for a record breaking attempt.

Rookie is not always inexperienced. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:47:28 PM by JustaRacer »

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »
Do I smell a rookie points champion?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
The first 25 run before the starter will even think about the rookie line. Then it's up to him.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:03:07 PM »
Why change a rookie system that isn't broke. It's worked for years and every record should be earned as it is now.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
There is also a minor safety concern.

Often, when you run a new track, you do a shakeout run.  You are feeling the grip, checking the gauges, and being more cautious since it's a "Fun Run".

If the goal of a rookie pass becomes "go as fast as you can", it might temp you to push it when it doesn't feel right.

You can spin/crash at relatively low speed.  I think a Famous Bike Rider did that recently?   :?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:28:38 PM by JustaRacer »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 01:21:44 AM »
Any possibility that rule will be extended to El Mirage?

No. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline FADED

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »
I takes most veterans of the sport YEARS to get a record, now what fun would it be to get a record on your first run?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
 :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline metermatch

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »
I kind of had in mind the two day races, in May and November.  I agree that a first timer should spend a day relaxing and learning what it is like to drive, no record allowed  But on two day races I was thinking the first day could be rookie qualification, and then Sunday could go for a record.  While that may seem overly optimistic, my car has already gone 10-20 mph faster than six records in it's engine size on the books, and that was before tuning and obvious easy drag reduction (syn oil eng&trans, electric water pump, dry sump oil, correct header, etc and wrong gears.)

My feeling is that there aren't enough of these races, when you take into account the races that get cancelled, or are just poor days to race (weather), and the fact that I also drag race, and I have at least one conflict next year, and I need to drag race that day as I was the champ in my class last year.  I will probably have another conflict with El Mirage when I make the division finals.

All that allowing a record run on the second day is doing is effectively giving another race day to a rookie, instead of the existing rule that states that a rookie is a rookie whether it is a one day race or two.

I'm just trying to speed things up a bit.  I want to get accomplished what I can with the existing motor, and then I want to try two other engine sizes in the car, and I don't want this to take a decade.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:49:52 PM by metermatch »