Author Topic: CanAm border-crossing question.  (Read 3562 times)

LittleLiner

CanAm border-crossing question.
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
Border-crossing question.
We are considering running at the July LTA event in 2013.  We plan to tow from Colorado and race at ECTA’s  July event in Ohio and then tow to Loring.  After Loring we plan to return to Colorado via Canada(Quebec, Montreal, etc).  That requires crossing into and out of Canada with a race car, trailer, tools, and spares.
We have heard tales of racers having problems clearing customs.  Can anyone offer advice about making these crossings? 

Offline tedgram

Re: CanAm border-crossing question.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:01:22 AM »
  Having raced in Canada their customs seems to be worried you are going to sell your equipment there. Have a rough list of equipment you have to show them. Show them your logbook. It may take some time to clear customs but you can convince them you are only traveling through. Have the registration of your race car or other papers with you to prove to American customs that you didn't buy the car in Canada when you return. Hope to see you at Loring :-)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:11:33 AM by tedgram »

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
It is all about documentation.  I often cross with parts and commerical samples on board and the best thing to do is have your list as Ted said.  You can also stop at customs on the US side before crossing.  they can give you a form showing what you are taking into canada so when you come back out, it is easier to prove you haven't picked anything up.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »
     Don't forget your passports.

Ed

LittleLiner

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:24:02 AM »
Thanks for the tips and feedback . . . .

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:18:14 AM »
And don't have guns in the vehicle. No one carries guns up here and if you fail to declare them and customs finds them you'll lose a lot more than the guns.

Pete

Offline Chris08Bus

• The most fun you can have with your pants on!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »
I'll second (or third) the list.  Itemize everything.  My in-laws live in Easton, ME and have a camp in New Brunswick.  Travelling back and forth across the border is more expeditious with documentation, openness, and honesty.  Things you want to minimize are alcohol, tobacco, fresh meats & produce, etc.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »
Back when, you listed on a carnet' (kar-nay) and got it stamped when you leave the US.  It is basically a transportation entry or a passport for your property.  Guessing that hasn't changed.

Joe

Jessechop

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
I think what Joe is talking about is the green paper. Back when I pulled accross the Maritimes I had this little green paper that was stamped that made it a pile easier.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 07:19:26 AM »
Jesse - It might be green but I dont recall.  I used it 15 years ago for camera equipment when my son played hockey in Ontario.

Joe