Author Topic: Ford "Tauruck".  (Read 91399 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Ford "Tauruck".
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »
Really nice job on the roll cage modifications.

Pete

Offline SteveM

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »
Beautiful work throughout.    :-o

I'll have to go back to the beginning to read the rules for classifying such a vehicle.  That's going to be one very cool pickup truck.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2013, 11:52:46 PM »
I know what you are talking about to get the cage low. I am doing a new cage for a friends 914 Porsche and he wanted it low so I have had to cut out the floor and drop his butt down to make him fit.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2013, 01:57:18 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. It really motivates me. Rex, when I started building this truck I never gave seating position a second thought because it's a Ranchero and I'm short. How wrong I was. I forgot that it's a truck. I can see the amount of work you put in on that mod. It's no joke. The execution is great. Thanks for posting that pic. Getting the seat lower did cross my mind but unfortunately if I did drop it I'd be looking into the dash. One thing I've never done is bumped my head on a doorway  :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2013, 02:25:45 AM »
I was just reading Woblywalrus' thread on welding stainless steel exhausts. I remembered that I got a nice surprise last week. I started on my build ten years ago but it gathered dust for that long. When I resurrected it I decided that the only way I'd get it done was to find sponsors. If not I'd just leave it. I got lucky, very lucky in fact. 21 companies came on board. It started out with an initial contact email and from there it just progressed. You'd think that in these hard economic times finding sponsors would be tough. I had three refusals and one reneged but more on that one later. It's a good story. My stainless steel exhaust material arrived. A German company that produces stainless components for the food industry sent me 24 elbows and 2 x 6m lengths of tubing. The photos don't do the quality of the material justice. Perfect is the only way to describe these parts and although I'm a ways off making up the system I've got the right stuff. Each piece has the company logo etched into it to prevent come backs. Their experience has been that clients used inferior pieces made in the very far east that failed and then tried to claim from the German company. I researched what would be the best material to use for the exhaust system and then just gave the sponsor the specification and he matched it. I can't wait to get going on this part of the project.

Offline Tman

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »
We have used a lot of the stainless salvaged from a dairy. Amazing stuff

Offline tauruck

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2013, 03:51:23 AM »
Thanks Tman, that's good to hear. This material looks great and I can't wait to start fabrication.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »
Do you know what the stainless alloy is that they sent you? Much of the stuff used in the food processing industry is typically 302,303 and 304 none of which make for good exhaust headers if you are going to use a turbo. I have made headers for NA engines using 304 and they have worked alright but for turbo applications you need 321 and if you can in areas like the inlet to the turbo from the header 625 Inconel works well. An absolute "female dog" to work with.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2013, 01:52:22 AM »
Thanks for the advice Rex. They gave me 304. I did some research on what the turbo guys were using and asked for the same. I've built quite a few pipes on the Sportsters I do and it's really something I love. This will be my first set of pipes on a V8 and I've built them in my head for the last four months. I've come this far so there's no turning back but if I'd tried to buy the turbos before I started the build this thread would be about a bike. That is 1000% for sure. South Africans are nothing like Americans. Service sucks and help is hard to find. I think it's because competition is limited. I'm still waiting for some guy to call me back after 4 months compared to a set of wheels I bought from Aero Race Wheels in Iowa a while back. These were Sprint cup wheels and one of them had a blemish on one of the robotic welds. I called and told them that there was a problem. I had a new wheel in five days and they said I didn't have to return the suspect one. All this sent to South Africa and it was pre email etc. I'm already building a bike frame, maybe to get my mind off the turbo debacle. :oops:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2013, 02:27:05 AM »
I'll start a new thread on my bike build but here's a pic of the bunch of pipes and parts I'll be using.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »
Tell us some of the parameters you ae working with on the eng size hp targets and some turbos that may be in your area---ie some of the trucks, farm tractors,  and heavy equipment stuff that you may scrounge from ect ect
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »
Sparky, the turbos are here in spades. I just need to get a part number on this Holset HX55 and I'll be able to buy. The motor is based on a 351C that I've been collecting parts on for a while. It's the Australian block and I have a set of 4v heads modified to accept the high port plates. I'm also busy on a special manifold made up of an ally base that will be mated to Carbon runners into a Composite plenum airbox setup. It's early days on the motor side but the chassis is almost ready for paint and I would have liked to weld the mounting points on for the turbos. I decided to mount the turbos in the load box area behind the cab. All the pro mod twin turbo drag cars have long wheelbase setups and their units are mounted behind the front wheels but I based my chassis on a Camping World Truck so it's tight in the engine bay. I've never done a turbo installation so I'm a newbie going on whaty I've been told by the local experts who are going to set the whole thing up. Their numbers are big and I take everything with a pound of salt. They are talking 2000HP and the shopping list I have is endless and super expensive. Bosch injectors x 16@$250 each. 2 x 101mm billet throttle bodies and so on. I know my motor is good, the crank, rods, pistons and mains are 100%. The Cleveland is my thing and I know what makes them work. I have a mix of Titanium and Stainless valves, Crowers best SS rockers. Moly pushrods, ARP everything and a Weaver 5 stage oil pump. The current record holder used an American drag car with an estimated 1,300HP BBC built by Sonny Leonard I think.  He ran 388Kph. After it did the run, Dunlop took it on the show circuit for a few months and then shipped it back to the US. I have faith in the motor I'm building but the stuff that needs to go on it that I have no experience with worries me. The only info on the Holset HX55 turbo I have is that it should have an 85mm turbine and the inlet should be 76mm. I came by the Holset via the machine shop that does my reboring and head skimming. I used to deal with the father but the son is running the show now. He has a drag car that he setup with this Holset HX55. It's a Mazda3 import as you would call it and he's getting 900hp with this unit. He showed me the slip. His advice was that the HX55 gave the best bang for the buck and he's never had trouble with it. The problem is his housing has been polished and the tag removed. I can spend 40 grand on two Garrett units or ten grand on the Holsets. Our exchange rate is 14 to the dollar with shipping. I don't have the forty. I'm a million miles away from the source and I have to make do with what I can get. A pic of the current South African record holder.

Offline Jon

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »
The guy you got it off cant tell you the part number or what he borrowed it off?
It is going to be the best bet I think, even if you need to share a bottle of rum with him to help him remember where he got it from...

Sorry for the thread hijack but is it only streamliner bikes that legally hve to see where they are going?
See a lot of pictures of cars with a really good view of the back of an air intake.

Ill get back in my box now.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline tauruck

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2013, 06:28:06 PM »
I joined a turbo forum and the first reply I got was from a guy who has the same unit and he's giving me the part#. Rum gives me heartburn and I woudn't drink with the kid. I might get blamed for corrupting him. :cheers: Hey Jon, I've started building a streamliner. Put the first pipes in the jig today. HD powered. No worries about the hijack. I needed a laugh after the past three days I've had.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
How many of you "hide" things from yourselves?. I spend my life looking for stuff I think I put somewhere or did I?. This has been going on for a while. What am I hiding things for. I'm the only idiot in the workshop. My latest triumph concerns rod ends. I got them back in 2002 there must be 40 of them but 6 are left hand thread. I'm ready to put the chassis on wheels and see what it looks like but I'm short one standard thread end to connect the steering arm to the hub. I spent hours cursing and threatening to disembowl the damn gremlin that lives in the shop. Months ago I got some solid bar and gave it to my engineer Geraldo for him to make the adjusters that connect the steering to the hubs. The deal was to turn left hand threads on one end and standard on the other. He goofed and put standard thread on both ends but it's his first mistake so he's forgiven. I didn't give it a thought when I used standard thread ends on the right side. It's the age. I've become my grandfather. We'll have to remachine the adjustors. The only wheels I have for the truck are Aero Sprint car wheels with slicks on them so I figured I'd put an ad in the classifieds and just buy a set of standard Ford 5x114PCD rims and then source some old tyres from the tyre shop just to roll the chassis on. Some guys wanted a thousand bucks, some wanted two for old rusty stamped wheels. I was getting nowhere for weeks. I found out that some Toyota, Mazda and Isuzu models used the same so I tried that. Mags only at four times the price. I was hating myself for giving the wheels I had away all those years ago. A guy called the other day and asked what I needed the wheels for so I told him. He said he'd give me a mixed set free of charge if I collected. My wife was in the area today and she picked up the wheels. Two standard rims with tyres and two mags sporting BF Goodrich Radial T/As. Those T/As bring back memories. I did send him a wiper motor for his Ranchero because they're really hard to find here. It turns out the guy is a collector/rebuilder so it went to the right guy.
    I'm going on the air at our local radio station on Wednesday to talk about a project i've wanted to tackle for a long time. I'm getting 7 youngsters from Boys Town to come help on the project. The call South Africans the Rainbow Nation so I've dubbed these dudes the "Rainbow Warriors". It can't be nice being stuck at Boys Town so I'll teach them how to work with composites, do welding and just get them involved. There's a lot to learn and hopefully it will uplift  and give them confidence. I'm going to get a local Ford dealer to provide transportation so we can get going. Skills training has fallen off the map here and hopefully something good will come out of it.