Author Topic: Ford "Tauruck".  (Read 91817 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Ford "Tauruck".
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 01:02:19 AM »
Do not feel alone when you redo things.  That has been my experience and mode of operation, too.  We learn and sometimes the rules change.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 01:41:19 AM »
Hey Bo, you're right. 10 years ago the welding wasn't great so I had other people do it for me. They weren't that good either  :-o. Things have a weird way of working out and in 05 I got a chance to do a lot of welding using a good machine. That's key. I believe good equipment makes one a better welder. I was welding 8 hours a day and it just got better and better. Right now the welding is great but I have an ace up my sleeve in that my welding equipment supplier Guido looks after me big time. He's a Danish dude whose also into cars and bikes. He's a Moto Guzzi collector but has Nortons and a few collector Suzukis. We're buddies now and I have 24/7 backup in addition to the fact that I can use his lathe and milling machine when I want. This project is blessed. You won't believe the people I've met who have sponsored me with material and product. People like you inspire me even though we're a gazillion miles away. Thanks man.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
I hoisted my unfinished chassis onto the table to get the front clip fried on. I had the laser on it and everything turned out great. I was just about ready when a client/buddy arrived with his chopper project. He decided to chop and rake the frame but kinda jumped the gun by cutting every reference point off it. I had to help so all the clamps I had holding my project came off and stuff moved. I'll get back on it tomorrow. The guy is such a good friend I'm going to get his frame done before Christmas. My truck can wait a few days I guess. Some pics of the front clip with two plates designed for custom bike frames tacked on as a reference point for the motor plate.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 11:20:47 PM »
I never mentioned that I've been in contact with Prof. Joseph Katz for the last year discussing the aerodynamics of my pickup truck. He was interested in my design and what I wanted to achieve with the vehicle. To cut a long story short, Joe put my project to his students and three of them took it on. Aero on a pickup truck is a nightmare and no one has ever written a white paper on the subject so I think this is what interested the parties involved. Based where I am and taking finances into account this gesture by the guys at SDSU was like me winning the lotto. What are the chances that an esteemed Professor (who is a car guy) would even get my email let alone reply?. I got lucky and I believe there is help from above, no!, big input because everything I've touched on this project has turned to gold.
   When Joe asked for my permission for his students to go ahead with the project I was shocked. A student called Hoang got in touch with me with a list of dimensions they needed. I cut cardboard profiles of the whole car on all the axis'. This covered the whole truck and luckily I have a fairly large profile gauge that made the task that much easier. I ended up with about 40 profiles and each one was numbered, taped together and explanations attached. It took a long time but I just put my head down and grafted. Eventually I had the package together and put the whole deal into a cardboard tube that originally came with a roll of Carbon fabric. It's a sturdy piece and after it was taped closed and the postal address afixed the wife took it to the Post Office. They wanted 200 bucks in our local currency to get the tube to San Diego. She figures that it's too expensive and she's being ripped off so she brings the thing back home. I lost it completely. Everyone wants to believe that there's harmony and level headedness in a long standing relationship but that's the TV/media version. Things flew, the Jack Russels ran and hid and for a whole day I was on a mission. Eventually we cut the excess fat away from the templates and put them in a lighter tube. The wife promptly goes on her monthly business trip so I now have to go to the post office. The kicker is that I lost 2 days and on the morning I'm going to the P O it comes across on the news that there's a transport strike. They have at least three a day before breakfast here. WE have a saying here TIA. This is Africa. I get to the Post Office and they quote me the same price for posting the package. It seems that there's a minimum charge for packages up to a certain weight so I pay the 200 bucks anyway. "Strange" that the person behind the counter failed to tell the wife that this was the case. You guys wouldn't last 5 minutes in this country without blowing all your gaskets. The package leaves but I'm not optimistic. The student is on my case but I'm holding back on telling him what really happened. I'm thinking that the package will never get there based on past experiences with deepest darkest Africa and the news from San Diego is that if the templates don't arrive in two days the project will be canned. I don't know if your Postal workers operate on a Sunday but the news I got is that the tube arrived on a Sunday!. It was as though the timing was perfect. The templates got to their final destination in the nick of time. The chances of that happening are a million to one but as I said there is Divine Intervention involved. Everything was back on track. The brief was to build a quarter scale model for wind tunnel testing which they did. It was cut on a 3 axis milling machine. I just received the final report which is 12 pages long. I'm now looking for a rocket scientist at NASA to decipher the "Enigma Code"!!! :-D. It's all good and it seems I was very close on my initial design. Some images of the work carried out at SDSU. I bless them all for what they've done and I promise one thing. When I break this record I'm going to plant "Old Glory" in the salt when I get out of the truck. 100%.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
Images of the model in the wind tunnel.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 11:30:20 PM »
Two more pics.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 01:19:57 AM »
Seeing the words "aerodynamic" and "pickup truck" in the same sentence is a first for me.  Are you going to cover the bed?

Offline DND

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
Hi Tauruck

Your model looks pretty neat but did you add a bit to the rear of the cab as the your bed area looks a little on the short side.

Are you going to lay up your intake plenum in one piece so you will not split a seam from your boost perssure, just a thought?

I bought new a 69' SS El Camino and had for 11 yrs then got a 78' Ranchero in 80' that i still have and it is all tricked up, both are neat ride's !!

So i'am tuned in to your project big time.

Don

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline tauruck

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 12:08:48 AM »
Guys, the bed will be covered. The model tested at SDSU was close but not 100% accurate. The truck is fairly long and there will be a lot going on under the vehicle. The under tray/diffuser is a special very trick component. Don't confuse this pickup with a standard version because it only resembles one by it's shape. When I get my truck done we'll shoot a few pics of it next to a standard Ranchero/XB Ute. Prof Katz and the crew did a battery of tests and the only area of concern is the trailing edge of the roof but there is a small fairing to be added. They added a fairing on the model and it's in one of the pics. I've got a 12 page document full of graphs showing optimal front splitter length versus rear spoiler angle along with all the variables. There are more tests being done in January so we'll have a very good picture by then. As for the plenum/airbox I'm good on design. I've been building composite custom gas tanks since 1992 and one test I do to every example is a pressure test. I'm not sure of the conversion to PSI but my tanks pass a 2 Bar test with no problem. One does not want to take chances with leaks and or integrity and I'd be lying if I said that the plenum was an "easy fix". It is a comlicated component and will be the most difficult lay up I've done so far but life is about challenges so I go into it with my eyes wide open. If I had a limited supply of Carbon fabric it might be a problem but I have access to an unlimited supply of all the different weaves available so the final construction will be a mix of unidirectional, twill and plain weave fibres. I'm certain we'll be OK on the part keeping it's shape. I went to collect my second shipment of Carbon on Tuesday and as I'd had a Tequila or two the night before I wouldn't drive so my buddy Guido did the honours. At the shipping depot the worker that carried the package was buckling at the knees under the weight. Guido says "I thought you said Carbon was light?" Yes sir it is, that dude is humping 40 grands worth. 80Lbs in fact.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 12:31:19 PM »
This is an accurate image of the truck.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
This is something I cannot figure out.  We want our bike streamlining to taper back to a point or as close to it as we can get, with the truncated rear having as little area as possible.  Cars get better aero with those little spoilers.  It seems this would create a lot of turbulence and slow them down.  What is it that those rear spoilers do that helps aero?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
Without the spoiler they create large amounts of lift. The spoiler doesn't make the vehicle more slippery. It actually makes the aero worse but it makes the vehicle much safer and helps plant the rear.

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2012, 06:43:41 AM »
I'm not sure of the conversion to PSI but my tanks pass a 2 Bar test with no problem. One does not want to take chances with leaks and or integrity and I'd be lying if I said that the plenum was an "easy fix".

Here is some help with the conversion math:

1 bar = 14.5037738 pounds per square inch.    2 bar = approx.   29.007psi

Cool looking project, hope all comes together the way you want it to.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2012, 10:27:02 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  We do not have lift on the back end of bikes.  Only on the front.