Author Topic: Ford "Tauruck".  (Read 91773 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Ford "Tauruck".
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »
It's Alkali but I could be wrong. I've got to find more info here and I'll get back to you on the exact composition.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2013, 10:07:21 PM »
That looks like great fun.  Is it GPS timed?

Offline maj

« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
Surface besides cutting up is probably not all that much different to the salt or El Mirage, just a matter of experiance to get the best out of it
new guys here or in the USA can learn quickly from watching the more experianced run and there setup
your all starting from the very beginning
lack of traction is one of the first big hurdles to cross, that and reducing your resistance
Now you have an event, there will probably be a few with enough interest to travel to other meetings and step up the learning curve 
Your pages here will put you well ahead of the crowd both for setup to go fast  and safety

Offline tauruck

« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:16 PM »
Thanks maj, Bo it is GPS timed but I'm not sure about the fun part. I need to get out to the pan for a recce before I do anything else. The guys that went out there were just having a good time with their road cars and hot rods. What I'm busy on is a different animal and it's not a weekend warrior type deal. It's tough enough building the thing over here and every move I make is a first. I think I should be talking to the guys that run at El Mirage for advice. If it wasn't for this forum and all the members I think I'd be up a creek with no paddle. Maj, the event the guys had is not a sanctioned one. I have to pay Motorsport SA 52 grand a day for timing, marshals, emergency rescue and all the other stuff that goes with breaking the record. If we had ten or twenty guys with the same idea it wouldn't be too bad but I'm the only one I know of building a vehicle right now. The sensible move would be to get to Bonneville but I doubt my car would fit any category.

gkabbt

« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »
The sensible move would be to get to Bonneville but I doubt my car would fit any category.

Mike,

I think you would have to run T.O. like the NASCAR cars do.  
Shipping would be tough (expensive) for you but at least you would have a place to run and be around a lot of REALLY nice and friendly gearheads.
If you were to ship to the US middle Atlantic states (NC,SC,VA), I would be willing to help you with the logistics the best I can.  :cheers:

Gregg
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:29:31 AM by gkabbt »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »
Thanks Gregg, My neighbour is chief of pilots for the national carrier. Just maybe one flying concern might sponsor another. I'm actually afraid of asking him in case he gets a positive response. As exciting as it would be it's a scary thought. Right now I have no real pressure. :-) Going to Bonneville would up the ante big time. That's like going to the BIGS.

gkabbt

« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »
Thanks Gregg, My neighbour is chief of pilots for the national carrier. Just maybe one flying concern might sponsor another. I'm actually afraid of asking him in case he gets a positive response. As exciting as it would be it's a scary thought. Right now I have no real pressure. :-) Going to Bonneville would up the ante big time. That's like going to the BIGS.

LOL and how true on the BIGS!

Just keep it in mind that if there is anything I can do just let me know.

Gregg

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »
Bring you sportster to BUB.  It will cost a lot less and there is no pressure.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2013, 04:07:45 AM »
Gregg, you're a good guy and I know the offer is genuine, thanks. Bo, just when I started working on the Sporty a bunch of work came in so it's not getting any attention either. I'm doing a one piece front end for a FWD Mazda drag car. I don't like fwd and have never owned one. It just goes against the grain having the big tires on the front but the young guys grew up with this weird stuff and it pays good money. There are lots of possibilities and I'm not ruling anything out. It may be a good having a break from the LSR project for a while because I've been at it day and night for almost a year now. I'm not typical of guys my age and even with all the old broken bones and injuries I'm always up early, good to go and ready for work but right now I'm tired.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
It is like that here.  A couple of weeks ago I told the boss "you are giving me far more work than I can do.  What are the priorities here?"  He said "Everything is top priority.  Do it all.  There are 24 hours in a day and weekends."  The extra work is helping to pay for the trip to AUS, but I am tired, too.

gkabbt

« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2013, 05:07:06 AM »
I'm doing a one piece front end for a FWD Mazda drag car. I don't like fwd and have never owned one. It just goes against the grain having the big tires on the front but the young guys grew up with this weird stuff and it pays good money.

Mike, please make an exception for Steve and myself as our Rampages are remaining FWD......LOL!  :-D   :-D   :-D

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2013, 05:17:25 AM »
I'm always up early, good to go and ready for work but right now I'm tired.

And this is precisely why I retired at the end of June last year. I liked the work I was doing in I.T. but I was just tried!
Since about age 57, I started noticing that when I got home on Wednesday I was tired, Thursday a little more so and by Friday I was exhausted.
For me now, as the expensive T-shirts say, Life is Good!  :cheers:

Gregg
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:26:02 AM by gkabbt »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »
I'm doing a one piece front end for a FWD Mazda drag car. I don't like fwd and have never owned one. It just goes against the grain having the big tires on the front but the young guys grew up with this weird stuff and it pays good money.

Mike, please make an exception for Steve and myself as our Rampages are remaining FWD......LOL!  :-D   :-D   :-D

Gregg
:-D :-D :-D Gregg, picture this. The 15 x 10" wheel combos are on the front with drag slicks. It reminds me of the dude on the beach with a 60" chest and 25" arms wearing Levis because he's got no legs. Your trucks are cool believe me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »
It's getting bad here. The Mazda 3 drag car is kicking my Butt 40 ways from Sunday. I'm getting all kinds of looks from family members. What's going on Pops?, you need to finish the ride!. :-D I need this sort of thing or I'll lose it completely.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »
I know that feeling all too well Mike!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson