Author Topic: Wheels and tire sizes and availability  (Read 6652 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Wheels and tire sizes and availability
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
Hey all! New here and have finally decided to get my butt in gear and get my car built for speedweek in 2013. The question I have is what sizes of tires are available and where can I find more tire and wheel info. I'd really like to run a very tall tire and wheel combo but have not been able to find anything. Thanks in advance for any help!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline dw230

Re: Wheels and tire sizes and availability
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »
Look in your rulebook for the many ads for LSR tires. Those little pieces of advertising are in there for a reason. Support those who support you.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »
I've already looked there. Problem is I'm looking for something taller than everyone offers. Am I just nuts or do they only offer certain sizes because that is what works?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:19 PM »
The market dictates the products. Realize that there just x number of LSR racers, the x is a very low number. It costs the manufacturer loads of money to make LSR specific tires. How tall are you looking for and at what estimated speeds?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
I'd really like to run a 20" wheel, But I am beginning to realize that there is no such thing. Unless I want some for my Impala! I am very new to this whole lsr game and was just using the common sense of a bigger wheel and tire rolling easier. Am I way off here? will a 15" wheel with a 28" tall tire work equally as well? or better? Hoping to run 175 or 180mph.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »
Goodyear Racing Tires:

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/dragspecial.html

Click on "Download Tire Guide" (.pdf).  Page 6: Frontrunner - 27.0x4.5-15, 28.0x4.5-15, etc.

Search this site for "frontrunner".

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »
Thanks for the info Mike!

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Biggest tire that I know of is the 7.0-18 Dunlop Racing which are 32" dia.  I bought them from one of the SCTA Handbook vendors, forget which one.
Mike Cook? can make any kind of 18" wheel you need IIRC.  

There is a V rated tire that is "cheap" and 33", but you might be limited to 175mph as I was.  I tested these to 215mph x 2200lb at Standard Testing Labs and found them acceptable at factory pressure, IMO.  This is really big tire for high performance SUV's.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:32:00 PM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
Goodyear Racing Tires:

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/dragspecial.html

Click on "Download Tire Guide" (.pdf).  Page 6: Frontrunner - 27.0x4.5-15, 28.0x4.5-15, etc.

Search this site for "frontrunner".

Mike

Make sure to scroll to bottom for Land Speed Tires. But not needed under 200mph and regular front runners
a lot less $.

JL222 :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:39:58 PM by jl222 »

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
Holy cow! You were sure right about the pricintg on those things! I appreciate all the info guys!! :cheers:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
As a question, you might want to run 175-180 but your class record is 250 you need to have tires to meet the record.

When we wanted to get in the Bonneville 200 MPH club we reached 196 with the 28" tire wheel with the available gear combination. I spent $600 on used 30" Dunlaps and 18" wheels and my son made it at 202. The next year I spent $800 on 32" tires and I won't tell you how much on Wheel Vintiques 18" forged wheels. I made it in at 210. ....I considered it CHEAP...We still have all of them eventho we currently are running 165-170 in another class.

If I was running one of those 200+ Hayabusa's my trailer would be full of tire/rim combos. It's the cost of running fast. We go thru a couple of sets of tires a year running 8 times on a 1/2 dirt track with our super stock. You need to put in these costs when thinking about any motor sport.......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
I sure hope my class record isn't that high! This whole wheel and tire size thing sure is a lot different than what I am used to from building hot rods and custom cars, but I think I am starting to get a handle on it. I think the good ole Frontrunners are gonna be my best option. Thanks for all of the insight!  :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
Be aware that as JL222 said they aren't all the same "frontrunners" can be 300mph Goodyear "landspeeds" which are drive tires,they can also be lighterweight front drag tyres. You need to familiarise yourself with the tyre codes in order to make sure you are getting the right thing, the front drag tyres are reportedly okay to 200mph and there is anecdotal evidence of people using them on the rear at pretty high speeds in smaller cars but you'd be lucky to get through tech( read won't) on the back at Bonneville with em these days. We paid 1500 for a set six years ago, cheaper now, but not much.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »
I'm starting to find out that the tires will be much more expensive than I had first anticipated. Gotta love racing! I heard an anecdote once about building race cars that was something to the effect of, "Figure how much time and money yer going to need then double it and you still probably won't have enough of either!" Oh so true...

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »
Also curious if there is a speed rating on the front runners. I know there is a huge price difference between the land speed tires and dragster fronts. I really don't want to get shut out at tech because I have the wrong drive tires on the car.