Author Topic: 2013 Bike and Car rule changes  (Read 71069 times)

Offline JustaRacer

Re: 2013 Bike and Car rule changes
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
As for Ameican Iron I thought Mike was nuts....but I do know where a '66 396 with a short crank is....Hummmm........JD

When did the 502 BBC Truck block come out?  This would be the cheapest way to make one with the largest possible bore to unshroud the the valves?
Roller cam, titanium rods, titanium valves, forged nitrated crank, then spin the snot out of it?

EDIT - DOH! 1980's was 502 truck block.  427/454 instead. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:29:38 PM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »
"My minimum was set at 190 and voted on by the board. Yesterday I was reminded that the original proposal included a 160 minimum which I missed when I presented for the vote. The EM minimum will be set at 160, all safety regs apply." -- DW

Let's see.  The record for XF/GR (flathead -- not to exceed 325") at El Mirage is 158.986.

The minimum for the new overhead class (not to exceed 372") is 160.  

I don't think it will be much of a stretch to go 1.014 MPH over the smaller flathead record -- not trying the disrespect the great Jimmie Stevens motor.

Not eligible for points next year, but by the time the dozens of them get built, the results won't be pointless.  

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:10:57 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
According to the proposer there are already many cars sitting, with engines reving to run this class. No new cars need to be built.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
According to the proposer there are already many cars sitting, with engines reving to run this class. No new cars need to be built.

DW

Yea right :roll:

JL222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
Then why haven't they run?  Only one's the wiener.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
Stan,

The costs to run competitivly is too high.This new class will solve that issue and bring the roadsters out in mass quanities.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
I can just see the masses of raoadsters showing up   :-o , just curious though why they didn't limit the transmissions to vintage units as well? Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline dw230

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
Not my deal. Upwards of $7500 for a trans, pay Wayne Jesel $4500 for a valve train, on  and on - where is the cost savings?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »
Sounds like a guy in Flordia is giving him ideas, maybe a diesel powered pusher propster is coming new class  DPPPPU. :evil: :roll:

The class is B/DAB = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9lSDpQ7RaY

That is some funny shit right there!
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »
Sounds like a guy in Flordia is giving him ideas, maybe a diesel powered pusher propster is coming new class  DPPPPU. :evil: :roll:

The class is B/DAB = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9lSDpQ7RaY

That is some funny Subaru right there!

Bet Glen didn't even know that these have running for nearly 10 years now.  Low fuel consumption.

And it will make Jullienne Potatoes!
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
... it says you have to have a rear floor or aft  bulkhead...
But, the first sentence of 3.E says "no open driver's compartment".
Jack, that's exactly why I've never built a race car without first going to at least one event so I understood how the rules were being interpreted and enforced. Sometimes how the rules are written and how they are actually used are what appears to me to be very wide apart. This goes for most forms of racing.

Context counts!  8-) 8-)

Pete

not only does context count but reading the rule in it's entirety also helps.  this new rule requires that all cars now have either a rear floor or bulkhead.  what's so hard to understand about that?  do you really think there'd be a rule outlawing open cars?

Blast from the past... for 2014 I'm going to propose that the word "lower" be added between "the" and "exterior".  So it would read like this:

All driver’s compartments shall not be open to the lower exterior of the vehicle or track surface such that the driver is potentially exposed to dangers such as fire or debris as well as dust. A rear floor or aft bulkhead is required in all vehicles where applicable.

Does that help make it more clear that the point of the rule is to require a rear flow or aft bulkhead?  Maybe "bottom exterior" would be better? 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline bak189

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
Interesting........sidecar rule change 7.1....7.1.3.....regarding driver location..........when John Stege made his outstanding run a few years back and took our record this rule was NOT in effect....However his record was put in the book......I made note that his sidecar was NOT legal due to the fact that I had wanted to build a LSR sidecar with the driver kneeling INSIDE the outfit and was told not legal....not safe.......It appears it is NOW legal and safe.......BUT at the time of John's record run it was NOT LEGAL....and NOT SAFE.....but the record was still approved and is in the book..........Oh, well...................................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
Interesting........sidecar rule change 7.1....7.1.3.....regarding driver location..........when John Stege made his outstanding run a few years back and took our record this rule was NOT in effect....However his record was put in the book......I made note that his sidecar was NOT legal due to the fact that I had wanted to build a LSR sidecar with the driver kneeling INSIDE the outfit and was told not legal....not safe.......It appears it is NOW legal and safe.......BUT at the time of John's record run it was NOT LEGAL....and NOT SAFE.....but the record was still approved and is in the book..........Oh, well...................................................................

Bob,

If you were to look in one of his log books you will see where I wrote that I felt the bike did not comply with the rules at the time, I refused to inspect it and it was later inspected without any changes being made.  Yes he has some great records also. :cheers:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2013, 01:46:38 AM »
... it would read like this:
All driver’s compartments shall not be open to the lower exterior of the vehicle or track surface such that the driver is potentially exposed to dangers such as fire or debris as well as dust. A rear floor or aft bulkhead is required in all vehicles where applicable...
That's much better.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
... it says you have to have a rear floor or aft  bulkhead...
But, the first sentence of 3.E says "no open driver's compartment".
Jack, that's exactly why I've never built a race car without first going to at least one event so I understood how the rules were being interpreted and enforced. Sometimes how the rules are written and how they are actually used are what appears to me to be very wide apart. This goes for most forms of racing.

Context counts!  8-) 8-)

Pete

not only does context count but reading the rule in it's entirety also helps.  this new rule requires that all cars now have either a rear floor or bulkhead.  what's so hard to understand about that?  do you really think there'd be a rule outlawing open cars?

Blast from the past... for 2014 I'm going to propose that the word "lower" be added between "the" and "exterior".  So it would read like this:

All driver’s compartments shall not be open to the lower exterior of the vehicle or track surface such that the driver is potentially exposed to dangers such as fire or debris as well as dust. A rear floor or aft bulkhead is required in all vehicles where applicable.

Does that help make it more clear that the point of the rule is to require a rear flow or aft bulkhead?  Maybe "bottom exterior" would be better? 

At the SCTA Inspectors Clinic meeting last Saturday (4/06/13), they had us pencil in "lower" in that exact place in the rule change handout that was distributed.  So, I suspect the correction will be made in the 2014 rule books.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556