Author Topic: 2013 Bike and Car rule changes  (Read 71072 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: 2013 Bike and Car rule changes
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 01:37:36 AM »
Ahh - got it!  Thanks jdincau.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »
Okay, the record I'm running on is ~122.  Typically on a rookie pass, it's my understanding that the starter wants you to take it easy, and won't okay you to run until you've demonstrated you know how to follow instructions.

Will the course steward still be asking us slower guys to keep our foot out of it on a rookie pass?  While it would be rude and only serve to aggravate somebody, if I'm asked to keep it under 100 on a rookie pass and ignore that direction, and clock an otherwise clean drive at 123, am I going to get sent down?  Or has the SCTA accidently codified a new minimum maximum, overruling the traditional understanding?

If I can do it in 2, I'll be happy to save the wear and tear on the car.

MM, the starter for your rookie run will probably be Nathan... he will tell you the throttle works both ways, to run a comfortable speed.  Enjoy that run, take it easy.  That is the instruction I gave Pork Pie this year as well.  He was thinking he needed to run 140 on that pass and get his license upgrade all in the same pass.  I told him to drive the car from one side of the course to the other and back, get the feel of the car, it was the first time he drove it. I think he went 119.  I advise the same for you and every rookie, there are plenty of passes at Bonneville, not every one is a record pass, spend a couple of them driving, listening to the car, looking at the gauges, getting the "sight picture" so you know the car is going straight down the course.  Don't worry about wear and tear on the car.  It is a race car you are building, hopefully it will make a dozen or more runs at Speedweek, the Bockscar made 13 this Speedweek, the last 2 were record passes. 
I've written this several times on this forum, look at the course before you drive it, see where the markers are taking you toward the mountains on the horizon, that is your sight picture, if you keep that in mind, you can pay attention to what is happening other than just getting between the markers. 

Remember to have fun, be safe, then go fast.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »

I've written this several times on this forum, look at the course before you drive it, see where the markers are taking you toward the mountains on the horizon, that is your sight picture, if you keep that in mind, you can pay attention to what is happening other than just getting between the markers. 

Bob, you coached Pork Pie to a Red Hat - I won't argue with your approach.

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »
The American Iron roadster class should have gone farther than just OEM heads and block. it should have included OEM rockers, intake, crank, etc. Or a claimer on the motor.

Tom G.

Why, would you run the class or just pick at it?

From someone who agrees with Dan on the future of said class.

Mike,

I am not picking on the class at all. I am just stating my opinion which I am entitled to. If the only difference in this class is basically an OEM iron block and heads, and mechanical FI or carbs, and no data gathering, that in itself is not much different than the Gas Roadster class.

I was under the impression this was to be an entry level class that would not cost much. If one only needs to verify the block and heads but can run aftermarket everything else, what is inexpensive about that?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
Why, would you run the class or just pick at it?

Someone looking for a low 2 club minimum or a future EM championship  :|

That would be fine if it was Tom running a car instead of his .....  nevermind    :-o

Stainless,

Nope.

Mike,

You might be in for a surprise. :-o

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
Can't wait to see the elmo minimums for the american iron  class :evil:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 01:02:51 AM »
... it says you have to have a rear floor or aft  bulkhead...
But, the first sentence of 3.E says "no open driver's compartment".
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »
... it says you have to have a rear floor or aft  bulkhead...
But, the first sentence of 3.E says "no open driver's compartment".
Jack, that's exactly why I've never built a race car without first going to at least one event so I understood how the rules were being interpreted and enforced. Sometimes how the rules are written and how they are actually used are what appears to me to be very wide apart. This goes for most forms of racing.

Context counts!  8-) 8-)

Pete

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 06:04:33 AM »
Okay, the record I'm running on is ~122.  Typically on a rookie pass, it's my understanding that the starter wants you to take it easy, and won't okay you to run until you've demonstrated you know how to follow instructions.

Will the course steward still be asking us slower guys to keep our foot out of it on a rookie pass?  While it would be rude and only serve to aggravate somebody, if I'm asked to keep it under 100 on a rookie pass and ignore that direction, and clock an otherwise clean drive at 123, am I going to get sent down?  Or has the SCTA accidently codified a new minimum maximum, overruling the traditional understanding?

If I can do it in 2, I'll be happy to save the wear and tear on the car.

MM, the starter for your rookie run will probably be Nathan... he will tell you the throttle works both ways, to run a comfortable speed.  Enjoy that run, take it easy.  That is the instruction I gave Pork Pie this year as well.  He was thinking he needed to run 140 on that pass and get his license upgrade all in the same pass.  I told him to drive the car from one side of the course to the other and back, get the feel of the car, it was the first time he drove it. I think he went 119.  I advise the same for you and every rookie, there are plenty of passes at Bonneville, not every one is a record pass, spend a couple of them driving, listening to the car, looking at the gauges, getting the "sight picture" so you know the car is going straight down the course.  Don't worry about wear and tear on the car.  It is a race car you are building, hopefully it will make a dozen or more runs at Speedweek, the Bockscar made 13 this Speedweek, the last 2 were record passes. 

Stainless,

you maked me faster than I was....I drove 113 mph...and was very happy with this. :-D
I done 11 runs during Speedweek with the Bockscar...and it was very important that I had all this driving time in the Bockscar...without this seat time I wouldn't have done my two record return runs...for both I could need all the experience of the earlier runs.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »
Can't wait to see the elmo minimums for the american iron  class :evil:

At the last SCTA board meeting the minimum was set at 195 mph,....... if I remember correctly.   :?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline dw230

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 11:21:28 AM »
Racekid,

My minimum was set at 190 and voted on by the board. Yesterday I was reminded that the original proposal included a 160 minimum which I missed when I presented for the vote. The EM minimum will be set at 160, all safety regs apply.

I agree with Tom. If the only restriction is OEM iron block and heads where is the cost savings? I think we will see this class around 210 at EM within 2 years Then the "too expensive" and "where are the entries" conversations will start again. These many, many roadsters will be put back on the jack stands until I am dumped out of a parachute. Someone's two year old son will bring this subject back up in about 20 years.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
Not that I'm running DT, but I have fielded many questions about how DT works over the years:

The "engine swap allowed" changes nothing, nor clarifies.

Should have been:

1)  OEM engine, OEM supercharging, is permitted without a quick change axle.  Currently the A/DT, B/DT, D/DT records do not qualify as DT.  They lacked engine swaps, non-OEM supercharging, or quick-changes as required by Gas Coupe.

2)  Body may be from a truck that was originally gasoline.  Tilt bodies permitted.

3)  Engine does not have to be automotive.  Marine engines allowed.

4)  No American-made "gentleman's trucks", such as El Caminos and Ranchos, even if originally diesel powered, are permitted.  Foreign-made models of similar design are permitted, whether gas or diesel originally.

5)  Vertical exhaust is permitted/not-permitted.

6)  Chop tops are permitted/not-permitted.

7)  Factory 4WD/AWD must be removed or made inoperable.

These are the areas that have caused confusion.  It's always been an Engine Swap Gas Coupe Class (except no El Caminos).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:47:25 AM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline dw230

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
The answer to a question that I don't think anyone asked.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »
Dan -- I think you might be wrong there.  These questions used to be asked by someone who went away.  Now, I guess, there's someone new asking them(?).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »
Dan -- I think you might be wrong there.  These questions used to be asked by someone who went away.  Now, I guess, there's someone new asking them(?).

Or is it a return?