Author Topic: Hub center steering set up  (Read 7848 times)

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
Hub center steering set up
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »
There has been several discussions hear about Hub Center Steering, so what I would like to do is bring that discussion to the next level by taking a look at the exact set up that works best.

I am starting a new build and I am thinking that HCS will be my first choice, as far as steering goes. I have my own ideas as to how I will set this bike up; however, it always helps to hear from others with actual experience running HCS.
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline rouse

Re: Hub center steering set up
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
I have to apologize in advance for a double post, but I thought maybe it might spark some discussion on this subject.

So far I have set down and designed my own hub center steering hub. I have the needed materials material ordered, so next I start making the parts.

The housing material I selected is 7075 Aluminum, which upon completion will be anodized in an effort to give some protection from the salt.

The axle material order is 4140.  I’m not sure at this point what, if any protective coating to use. That part is up in the air at this point.

The wheel hub will need to be designed to fit the HCS unit, and it looks like my choice for that will be 6061 Aluminum machined to go onto modular rim like to ones from, RC Components, or Weld Wheel. The deciding factor there will be controlled by the tire I end up with.

It appears to me that I will need to pay very close attention to bump steer. I think I have the solution to that, but the only way to know for sure, is to test the idea when I have some of the parts done.

I would like to hear something about what caster “rake” folks have run and what worked best for them.

I could possibly go on and on at this stage of the game, but for now I hope this will get a few responses.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
Rouse;

You might consider electroless nickel plating on the 4140 axle. It does not need a bake-out to prevent hydrogen embrittlement like other electroplating. Looks nice, too.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline rouse

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
That's a good idea. I have a good plating Company in mind that can do a good job on that.

Well; all the material just came in thanks to the big brown truck, so if things go the way I'd like, I'll have some chips in the pan by the end of today.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline rouse

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
Well I have made some progress on my CHS Hubs, They are design, machined and anodized. Now comes the real pain, picking the tire so the wheel hubs can be made. I'd like to pick a tire that doesn't restrict the speed of the bike based on tire rating. So I'm thinking a LSR tire from GY or MT may be the way to go, just not settled on a choice yet.

Here are a couple pics. so far.
Johnnie Rouse

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »
You're doing nice work. Keep it up Rouse!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline rouse

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:25 PM »
Thanks pete,

I've been involved with racing since the late 60's, building, wrenching, tuning, and driving. Most of that time I have had to make most of my own parts to save $$$. These days I make my own parts because I have nice equipment in my shop and can make the parts just like I want them, and maintain quality that is next to none.

When I started to build this new bike I figured it would probably be the last for me, so why not go all-out and do it right. I'm not in any big hurry to get done ("within reason"), as long as it's right when finished.

The HCS steering units are rare so I decided to run 4 while I was making mine. Some day someone else may need one and don't have the machines I do.

I post this thread hoping for some insight from someone that knows more than I do about HCS, and how to best set this type system up to handle. Believe me, it wouldn't take much experience to know more than me when it comes to HCS.

I'm now trying to decide what tires I'm going to use so I can design the wheels. That brings the project to a holding point as I need tire dimensions in order to design the wheels and swing arms.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse