Author Topic: Motorcycle Leathers  (Read 10263 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle Leathers
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »
This is an old thread and not particularly on the topic I want to discuss -- but maybe you'll read it when you see the word "leathers".

My suit is somewhere in the 10-year-old range and is showing more dirt than I want to see.  The leathers are pretty light colored - silver, light blue, and lots of white, so they show the dirt better than dark/black ones.  There are bug splats from Maxton and lots of plain ol' road grime from when I wear them here on the street or even at Bville and get salt on 'em.  So - how do you get your leathers clean - without sending them out for the service?  I tried using a spray/squirt bottle of leather cleaner from WalMart - and it does a bit, but not too much.  I have heard that saddlesoap is great -- but being that it's a paste it;ll be difficult to get 100% off after cleaning, although if saddlesoap is the only thing that'll work -- I'll do it.

Got any other ways to clean the leathers?  I'd like them to be sparkly clean, not only to show off to the crowd what a studly dude I am -- but also to better reflect the sunlight and keep me a tad cooler.  Let us know about cleaning leathers, please.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »
I have white leathers and use Lexol leather cleaner, then follow with Lexol conditioner. Auto parts stores have it. Have heard of low dollar racers using Pledge in a pinch.

Usually twice a year is plenty to keep them nice and funk free.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »
Western, tack and bridle (not bridal, lol) can point you the right way.  Some even take in leather work and save your fingers for throttle control.
Rabid Snail Racing