Author Topic: One for the 250cc folk  (Read 101347 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: One for the 250cc folk
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
Tiny...........Great to hear the news :cheers:

You have an interesting challenge and have been getting some great advice...............Hopefully you will GO FAST :-) :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
Thanks Dennis, Bo, apart from the help I've received from the  Landracing, & DLRA forums, This wonderful thing called the internet has made research possible (I wouldn't say easy) , Kudos to those folk who pioneered this, and many other forms of motorsport, without this luxury we now take for granted.
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
Sorry for the hijack a couple of posts back Tiny. My reply was to WobblyW about the wind tunnel and didn't pertain to your problem. If you had me working on that you'd likely be buying pistons by the bushel basket.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete
Your wind tunnel mention made me smile Pete, does a test run into a 40 mph head wind achieve the same result ?, if so, bin there done that, ha ha ha.
I have 12 spare pistons mate, just in case, ( not sure if they will still be available if I need more, these took over 12 months to track down)
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2015, 12:10:00 AM »
Congratulations.  It looks like you set a record, or at least made a nice run.   

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2015, 12:27:01 AM »
Congratulations.  It looks like you set a record, or at least made a nice run.  
Thanks Bo
One for you
http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2015/04/04/the-triumph-salt-racer.html#.VR9q1-EYOwc

Onerun Tiny
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:39:52 AM by generatorshovel »
Tiny (in OZ)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2015, 12:31:18 AM »
OUCH!!!  :x :x :x
Looks like you only have 11 spare pistons now.
Sorry to hear that.

Pete

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2015, 12:36:08 AM »
Problem #1 , 5th gear (have 6)
Problem #2  popped a coolant hose
Result, loose exhaust valve seat due to excessive heat = carnage.
I found the valve head in the sump, aluminum sludge got thru the oil filter, cooked a main bearing, the head is totalled (have a spare, and 2 intake, 2 ex valves ,new in the shed, and 8X.5 mm o/s spare pistons)
  :cheers:
Tiny
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:38:13 AM by generatorshovel »
Tiny (in OZ)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2015, 01:13:20 AM »
Can the head be welded up as a spare? I've repaired some pretty badly damaged heads and they've lived to fight another day.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2015, 01:27:30 AM »
Can the head be welded up as a spare? I've repaired some pretty badly damaged heads and they've lived to fight another day.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete
I doubt it Pete, I have a few spares .
The run was nearly aborted before it began, Dodge Honda cdi, even though I have a huge Harley battery,( no spark below 11.7 Volts) the day was cool, the pilot, midrange jetting was fat, I couldn't get it fired until the lakester before me left the line, so my mojo was gone,,,when I hit 16,000 revs, (thought I was in top) I was happier than the 1st time butterflies blew out my arse, thinking I was knocking on 130's door, how wrong can ya be,,lol, I even went the full mile wot, which told me a few things, boost dropped to 10 (from 12) @ 16,200 and it wasn't gonna go any faster, max HP is at 16,000, blower seemed maxed out (revs) and carb is a tad too small, one day, I'll know if it likes my top gear gearing ?
I lost 8 mph on the salt compared to asphalt testing.
https://youtu.be/8bGxSJAc8Io
Tiny
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:30:16 AM by generatorshovel »
Tiny (in OZ)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2015, 06:46:25 AM »
Can the head be welded up as a spare? I've repaired some pretty badly damaged heads and they've lived to fight another day.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Hi Tiny,

Is the cam drive setup a gear drive?    Do the cams ride directly in the head, without bearings?    If so, don't bother repairing the head.    You would need to weld the whole head face, and it is most likely to warp the head some.    You would need to re-machine the whole head.

If the cams are chain drive or belt drive, skimming the head after welding one chamber becomes possible.    If there is a separate cam carrier, so much the better.

I've repaired dozens of BD and Lotus heads by welding, always successful.    Wasn't easy or cheap, but it was cost effective compared to the price of a new head.

As you have other heads available, the smart and cheapest move is to put the damaged one in the shed, for the day when no undamaged heads are available.   Just start over with a fresh casting.

Sorry about your result.
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »
I didn't say it would be easy or cheap!!!!  :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil:

Pete

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2015, 04:33:50 PM »

Pete

Hi Tiny,

Is the cam drive setup a gear drive? YES   Do the cams ride directly in the head,YES without bearings?   
As you have other heads available, the smart and cheapest move is to put the damaged one in the shed, for the day when no undamaged heads are available.   Just start over with a fresh casting.

Sorry about your result.
Fordboy
Thanks for your input Fordboy , I just need a longer shelf to store the growing stack of dead bits now .
Lucky for me, when I stumbled across the new valves I installed prior to this years Speedweek, the guy had 20 of each @ the right price, so I bought 'em all  :-D
Murphy's law tells me that the main bearing shell(s) I need are the size that won't be available .
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)

Offline Hoody

« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2015, 03:08:34 AM »

Pete

Hi Tiny,

Is the cam drive setup a gear drive? YES   Do the cams ride directly in the head,YES without bearings?   

Sorry about your result.
Fordboy
Thanks for your input Fordboy , I just need a longer shelf to store the growing stack of dead bits now .
Lucky for me, when I stumbled across the new valves I installed prior to this years Speedweek, the guy had 20 of each @ the right price, so I bought 'em all  :-D
Murphy's law tells me that the main bearing shell(s) I need are the size that won't be available .
Tiny

If you can't find the parts in Aus take a look on this site https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/  He often holds spares for old Hondas.

Offline generatorshovel

« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2015, 07:46:16 AM »
Thanks Hoody, I was aware of David Silvers, as it turns out, they are the only ones saying one bearing shell size (13226-KY1-000) might become available, all others say 'discontinued" item, I managed to get the other sets from DIY spares also in the UK.
I will get an email from gaybay & DIY, should the last 'rod shell pair come out of a closet somewhere ?
Tiny (in OZ)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2015, 01:10:34 AM »
An alternative is to contact Carillo here in the US and to describe your problem.  They can build you a set of rods for available big end shells.  Then, the crank journals need to be resized to fit the shells.  It is expensive, but it is a way to go if nothing else works.