Author Topic: Questions about Omega class and electric motorcycles  (Read 28994 times)

Offline JustaRacer

Re: Questions about Omega class and electric motorcycles
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
Thoughts:

Cars/bikes get a displacement check.

Making a frame as light as possible to load it as heavy as possible can be a hazard.

Having the weight rule based on the battery weight would be a displacement check.

I will lend a 10,000lb precision portable scale to the SCTA (permanent loan, as long as it's used for electrics) if they decide to do battery weight, not vehicle weight.  It's very accurate at all weights, and easily portable.  It will weigh a tire to 1 lb accurately, but also weigh 10k.  When somebody sets a record, they would have to remove the battery and weigh it in impound/tech.  It's AC powered, but I can make it DC powered.

If it becomes unnecessary, I want it back.  Located in Norco, weighs about 100lb IIRC.  
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »
Pat,

Your point about Production cars running against streamliners is valid when the class is weight based. Up until recently, and the interest is still way low, the technology has not been a LSR hot spot. The increase in electric and Hybrid vehicles in the public will no doubt spur interest. Up until now no one has presented or asked for modified rules. We should be pro-active but it is difficult to get management involved when they have in excess of 50 years experience and are pretty much settled in their ways.

I recently recieved an email from England from a group of Le Mans type racers who want to run at Bonneville. Their question was about where would their sports car with diesel, Hybrid power and KERS techology fit. Unfortunatly, I had to inform them that Hybrid power sources are allowed in Production classes only where the green power is OEM. KERS, not allowed, diesel runs against gas if no class for the fuel exists. This is not a formula to move LSR into the next decades.

The answer? I don't have it, nor do I have the background to make it happen. All in all, we are what we are. A bunch of hot rodders designing, building and driving our dreams and there is nothing wrong with that.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »
Pat,

Your point about Production cars running against streamliners is valid when the class is weight based. Up until recently, and the interest is still way low, the technology has not been a LSR hot spot. The increase in electric and Hybrid vehicles in the public will no doubt spur interest. Up until now no one has presented or asked for modified rules. We should be pro-active but it is difficult to get management involved when they have in excess of 50 years experience and are pretty much settled in their ways.

I recently recieved an email from England from a group of Le Mans type racers who want to run at Bonneville. Their question was about where would their sports car with diesel, Hybrid power and KERS techology fit. Unfortunatly, I had to inform them that Hybrid power sources are allowed in Production classes only where the green power is OEM. KERS, not allowed, diesel runs against gas if no class for the fuel exists. This is not a formula to move LSR into the next decades.

The answer? I don't have it, nor do I have the background to make it happen. All in all, we are what we are. A bunch of hot rodders designing, building and driving our dreams and there is nothing wrong with that.

DW

Here's the thing.  Some people love lakesters.  Some love streamliners.  SOME love Roadsters.

I hang out with a group of 15,000 diesel racers, I've shaken hands with over 1000 of them.  Before, it was a group of 40,000 Camaro and Vette racers.

We love our diesels as much as anyone loves their Roadster.  We love our F-bodies and Vettes as much the same.

Now, much to the dismay of my existing friends, I'm heading towards electrics.

I fell in love with LSR in 2008, even though my background isn't LSR.  My friends think it's dumb.   :-D

These electric racers are as rabid as any Roadster guy.  Given the chance, they would flood LSR the first time they go.  It's like crack cocaine.

Make the field, they will come.  Some dumb Kevin Cosner movie?  It's true though.

I would not have run LSR if there weren't a class for my truck to run.  The class was there, so I ran, and loved it.

It remains the only truck vehicle in the world that has run in sledpulling, drag racing, and LSR.  And won.

Sorry for the Hijack!!   :evil:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:19:48 PM by JustaRacer »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
We're hearing a lot of talk about rule structural changes from someone who, I am told, hasn't met their obligations to their racing organization.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline slimjim

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
The class exists already and there really aren't enough electric anything entries to justify making a bunch of new classes. Here are all the Bonneville Omega records for motorcycles that I know of.
APS-O Paul Thede Lighting Motors Lighting 08/11 215.960
M-O Saline E-Solex E-Solex 08/11 20.055
MPS-O Saline E-Solex E-Solex 08/11 19.893
SCS-O Saline Elecktik AGN1 08/12 98.0
Looks to me like a Brammo could come clean house in the M classes.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
LSR has roots that go waaaay back.
Despite the technology that is making killer speeds, we still love the flathead.
We cherish a technology that has been dead longer than most of the racers have been alive.

Electric? Go ahead, tell me how many pure electric vehicles you saw yesterday. In the last week? Month?

The sales are abysmal because no one wants them.

If you guys want to race, the omega class is there for you. Don't expect any interest for the near future. Or distant future either.

If you have hung out at the timing trailer for a run by Fast Freddie or Teague and feel that nitro vibration go right through you, that's excitement.

Make the field, they will come.

It doesn't work that way. Bring the vehicles in enough numbers and then we will talk about making a field for you.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 03:05:38 PM »
We're hearing a lot of talk about rule structural changes from someone who, I am told, hasn't met their obligations to their racing organization.

You have no idea what a Private Message is, do you?

No, the Road Runners insulted my wife right from her first event.  Lack of class.

Didn't you notice she stopped talking to you misogynists?  Guess not.

I was stupid not to quit then.  Actually, I was stupid not to flatten the prrick.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:47:08 PM by JustaRacer »

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »

You were lied to.  Nuff said.  You have a PM.  I would not read it if I were you.

EDIT:  Just ignore it.  My fault for not taking action when I should have.

PS - Any board with class forbids private message to be read to others.  Any moderator who is good at running a website won't do it.  Check our site.  You get banned for it.

Do you want to tap my phone also?

To the readers, anything you say to Jim Kitchen in private isn't.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:53:48 PM by JustaRacer »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »
"PS - Any board with class forbids private message to be read to others."

All I know is what we were told at our meeting about missed patrols.  Feel free to straighten us out about that.  I think maybe you got a pair of noids.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »
Looks to me like a Brammo could come clean house in the M classes.

The thing about the M-Ω records is that they were done on a production based electric moped
for someone to run against that record, they would have to run a bike of which there were more than 500 produced
This somewhat limits what can be run and it is also why most of the bikes that run Ω are A-Ω, APS-Ω, S-Ω or SCS-Ω
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
Could a mod clean up the non electric posts?
Thanks!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »
Could a mod clean up the non electric posts?
Thanks!

Every once in a while somebody shows up that is severely out of sync with the rest of us.
Yes, we are a highly critical bunch and VERY opinionated.

That doesn't mean you can request the above. That never happens.

Conversations go off topic all of the time. Cranky, out of line comments happen. Some have been banned here. (Where are you oh Propster?)

I've read every one of your posts. You're a smart guy. So are we. I certainly wouldn't compare anything going on here to other forums.
I've been hammered a number of times. I have an attitude too. (Nothing like Kent, mind you.  :-o)
Sit back and enjoy the ride. Keep posting.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 03:18:20 PM »
We arrived at 6am with everything to do patrol and rescue.  We did what we were told to do at the start.  If anyone would have mentioned to retrieve cones prior to the end of racing we would have brought the right stuff and got er dun quick. That's not what occurred. We both ran dual staff at the checkpoint from before the race started until after it was over.

However that misunderstanding has nothing to do with electric racers. 

I offered to do the cones after I learned it was an unspoken duty after at a future event.   I won't make the same error twice.  If you belong to an Elmo club and want somebody to pickup all cones Pm me and I'll do it. I've set up and retrieved thousands of cones when it was needed. Not just SCTA. Mostly for other racing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:36:26 PM by JustaRacer »

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
I'm in Florida with fat fingers. Anyone who needed to slam me should have done it earlier. At least nobody has said I don't help other racers and I drive like a chi head (going off course or other stupid driving).

Find anyone who says I don't pull my weight or drive dangerously.

I'm 2000 miles from home. I will continue this later.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:47:44 PM by JustaRacer »

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
"PS - Any board with class forbids private message to be read to others."

All I know is what we were told at our meeting about missed patrols.  Feel free to straighten us out about that.  I think maybe you got a pair of noids.

I belonged to an Elmo club for 5 years, 2008-2012.

I worked 4 patrol sessions.

I did about 10 course walks and picked up a lot of debris.
One time my foot was swollen to double it's size and purple.  The first doc said I was fine.  Later it was found I had a broken shinbone.  Yeah, that was painful but I did it, and found glass and pieces of metal on the track.

I put reflective tape on the barriers after someone drove through them.  Nobody could make a decision, so I did it because it was needed.

I was asked to wind Bville wire, so other than a 30 min break, I worked hard at it and pulled my weight.

I did a course prep when asked.

I pickup up cones twice.  Once when not asked, another when I was asked.

This exceeds the "one duty a year" by over double.

But in October, after the race patrols, I did not pick up cones, but I worked 2 patrol duties. Nobody told I was going to be picking up cones before Sunday, or Sunday morning, or at the patrol meeting, nor was it printed on the patrol instructions.  We found out at the end of the race, but there was no way to haul the trailer 30 minutes after the event.  So I made a stupid decision to leave.  I apologized profusely to multiple people, and asked that I could make up it.

Apologies aren't accepted.  Repair is not accepted.

I've picked up thousands of cones in the last 13 years of "cone" type racing courses, and laid out courses.  Elmo has just a few cones.

When a very dedicated and well-liked SCTA member publishes that I don't work, it hurts. 

Even though I've tried to make up for it, that's not going to fly.  I'm sorry again.

It appears that the story has been spread to other clubs, so now I guess I'm out of the game.  Nobody wants a lazy racer who won't work.

That's not who I aim, and never have been.  I've organized complete events, set up schools for new racers, and worked hundreds of events in my racing hobby. 

I'm told I'm not the kind of person that LSR is a good match for.  Yeah, I can accept that.  But I'm not lazy, I'm a very good (and safe) racer, and I have always helped other racers of all kinds when needed.

So I guess this is goodbye.  No clubby, no raccy. 

I don't mind that, but I do mind people who say I'm unprofessional.  The racing community is actually under 1% of car guys.  It's a small world.

I screwed up, but it was not something I could fix that day after the race.  Both of us had to abandon important work to attend, and both had problems afterwards because we did not have 12 hours free, but worked our duty because we promised we would.

Again, if someone would have mentioned the cones at any time before the race, we would have done it. 

PS - I apologize for hijacking this new racer's thread, but perhaps this is important to all racers.  Ask a LOT of questions prior to leaving to attend any events.  And I apologize ripping Jim a new one, that was immature, I don't think well when I'm hurt.