Author Topic: Seat mounting/cage modification suggestions.  (Read 1757 times)

Offline SteveM

Seat mounting/cage modification suggestions.
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:10:50 AM »
I decided to start a separate thread, instead of posting this in my Build Diary...   I just took delivery of an Ultrashield full containment seat with the "Bonneville" lateral head restrain braces.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount this seat to my cage, and if/where I need to make modifications to the cage so that it's as safe as possible, and meets all the SCTA and ECTA rules.  Without further adieu, here are some pics of the seat, as it is just sitting in the cage.

The things bouncing around in my head are as follows:

1.     The shoulder bar is a bit too high to comply with ECTA rules.  I'm thinking of welding in another tube, about 2" below the existing shoulder bar, which would run from the driver's side vertical portion of the main hoop, and would meet the vertical tube that is currently shown, just on the passenger's side of the seat.  What are the thoughts on placing a tube in this position, which would not span the entire main hoop? 

2.     At the back of the seat, in the headrest area, there is an aluminum flange which bends downward.  I'm thinking of welding another tube above the current shoulder bar, which would span the upper part of the "inner" cage structure.  To this bar, I would weld some tabs which would bolt through this flange.

3.     On the "rear corners" of this same aluminum flange, I would make angled brackets which would tie into the main hoop on the driver's side, and the inner hoop (cage within a cage) on the passenger's side.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

Re: Seat mounting/cage modification suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
4.      On the bottom, I will weld some steel brackets to the under-seat tubes which are part of the cage.  I will then bolt through the seat bottom and through these brackets.

5.      I will make a brace to go between the existing shoulder bar and the upper back portion of the seat.

6.      I haven't figured out a good way to support the lower back portion of the seat.  What are people's thoughts about this area?  Does it need to be supported to the cage?  Is there enough support by bolting the bottom of the seat and the upper portion (near the shoulder harness holes)?

As always, any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Seat mounting/cage modification suggestions.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »
Hi Steve. PM sent.

Pete