Author Topic: Burke Avanti......Retrofit Project  (Read 6841 times)

Offline rack4u

• New folks
    • www.burkeavanti.com
Burke Avanti......Retrofit Project
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:12:04 AM »
Hello All,

We just bought the Burke Avanti. I now have it in Western North Carolina and hope to have it running to make the ECTA Ohio meets.

Plan is to have my daughter Celeste and her Cousin Garrett sharing driving duties, they have both raced Jr dragsters since 7 & 8 yrs old and now are 17 and 19 yrs old. Will see if they hold up their end of the deal and help wrench on the car ?

Long term goals will be to make it back to the salt with the car and rework the cage a bit to get my fat butt in it at some point in the future.

We will post our progress

If I had back ALL the money I have spent on Cars I would spend it ALL on Cars !!   www.BurkeAvanti.com

Offline RansomT

Re: Burke Avanti......Retrofit Project
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
Sometimes it's just easier to lose weight   :-D    Can provide lots of motivation...

Offline Tman

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »
Glad to see it being put to use! Make sure the kids realize the history they are now caretakers of.

Offline rack4u

• New folks
    • www.burkeavanti.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:45:14 AM »
Finally got some time to do some work on the Avanti.

Got a new gauge cluster together, pulled the water tank and fuel tank out of the rear. Plan on relocating this tank or a new fuel cell to the engine bay. Pulled the fuel pump and lines off today for upgrade to bigger pump and braided lines. Also did some planning to rework the drive shaft safety hoops, maybe get them welded in on Sunday.

Also bought a couple of core studebaker engines. Knocked the best one down to take to the machine shop. Might just try to run a mild 289 Stude in it to get it up and running again and until we can get a all out race combo screwed together

If I had back ALL the money I have spent on Cars I would spend it ALL on Cars !!   www.BurkeAvanti.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
Your working outside?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline rack4u

• New folks
    • www.burkeavanti.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »
LOL  Have inside shop but was such a nice sunny day we pushed the car out side

Offline DEEPNHOCK

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »
David has been busy...
Here's a video of the engine he's going to mule around a bit in the Avanti....

http://youtu.be/V36EZ_iWqZA

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
Make it look like this......

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
At that attitude, it looks like it's slowing down -- but reading the lettering tells you it isn't.

Which one lost the back window?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:47:46 AM »
Quoting Stan Back, "which one lost the back window?"

The roadster.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline rack4u

• New folks
    • www.burkeavanti.com
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
Well we are still working on the Burke Avanti :

1.) Have built a starter engine N/A 259 Studebaker engine as a starter engine to get all the systems working, test dry sump, and cooling system. In the back ground we are building our 1st Salt engine a 327 Studebaker engine, plan on running twin turbos.
2.) With help from family & friends we did a "Monster Garage" long weekend repaint.
3.) We installed front brakes (The car had only rear drum brakes)  We hope to run the car at Ohio Mile ECTA with our sights on the the Salt and El Mirage in fall of 2015
4.) I could not fit in and out of the car due to size & weight, So thanks to Jeff Rice and his Shop we are doing a retrofit on the roll cage. Additions will include, a full containment seat, retro-fit of steering column so that we can possibly use the drivers side door as the main entry & exit. With the engine set back and existing steering and cage the drivers door was blocked and entry / exit was from passenger side only.

Just Love this car and can not wait to get it racing again !

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
From days gone past anytime the car was going from Right to Left

and the mountains were in the background, it was the return leg of

a record run.

So be it.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline rack4u

• New folks
    • www.burkeavanti.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 11:12:32 PM »
It is our Heart and Soul desire to set new records with the car, enjoy it's "GREAT HERITAGE", and have some fun along the way !!

Offline rack4u

• New folks
    • www.burkeavanti.com
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
Make it look like this......

FREUD

FREUD,
This is a great picture of the car, with a great driver !   Thanks for sharing it !  Do you have any other photos of the car ? 

Offline rack4u

• New folks
    • www.burkeavanti.com
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 07:41:31 AM »
The SCTA and ECTA helped us get the race #9088  combining the #s the car was mostly raced under and paying tribute to the Burke Family and Mike Cook and partners.