Author Topic: Stupid ATV questions  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Truckedup

Stupid ATV questions
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
 I'll be planning on running a motorcycle at Bonneville using an ATV with a small trailer for a chase vehicle.
  From reading I  see ATV's are no issue...but....mine is older 4x4 with a locked rear axle...sorta dig up a bit on tight turns,is this a potential problem??? If so my bike  rider has a new model with differentials.
 And is a helmet required when riding the ATV? Yes, it's common sense but is it mandatory?
Triumph 650 LTA MPG record holder  133.1 MPH...

Offline Gman

Re: Stupid ATV questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:49:17 PM »
Its going to be a long,long ride from the pits to the short course then back to the pits on an atv :|
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline bak189

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »
Race the BUB Meet...and ride the bike back....NO tow vehicle required......WHY would any motorcycle race with SCTA/BNI????????......Tell me......................
Question authority.....always

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »
 Why race SCTA rules? Because I am the bike tuner not the guy who owns and rides the machine and is financing the trip. He wants to be at Speed Week. I will tell him about the BUB met......So what about the ATV questions  :-D

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »
IIRC, you have 60 minutes to return the vehicle to impound.

Your chase vehicle must go 2 ways.  If you recover at 6 miles, that's 12 miles.  12 miles per hour min.

It must have fixed station CB and a fire extinguisher minimum?

Personally, I'd use a something that will go 25 mph minimum safely. 

The straight axle is no problem.  The tires spitting salt on the bike is.  Build a wide mudflap for it.

Technically, AFAIK all BLM land requires a helmet to ride a quad.  Check with the BLM.  The SCTA doesn't have a tow-helmet rule.

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:04 AM »
 Thanks,the ATV will likely be a large 800 cc  machine capable of 40 mph cruise with no issues... Now the other question...The bike makes the run,i chase with ATV and trailer...Secure bike on trailer....What about the bike rider? ATV's like this have a long seat but are more or less a single person machine.riding two up is common ...Will this be an issue? I'm thinking otherwide the rider sits on trailered bike for the return ?
 Our main vehicle is a 25 foot RV pulling a box trailer ,I really don't want to use it to chase the bike,but will if it's necessary.......These questions are important to me.We're driving 2200 miles into an unknown place to race a bike that's only been tested on paved back roads at 800 foot elevation.My attention needs focused to be on the bike and not dealing with regulations not directly related to racing..

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »
Hey, Trucked, how 'bout filling in the "location" blank on your registration Profile page?  That way we'd have a better idea of where 2200 miles from the salt is - and maybe somebody is near you and could shoot the breeze and help you get more acquainted with what you'll need/want to know at Bville.

As for riding back in the race vehicle - I've often seen rider on a bike, being towed.  I don't remember seeing someone on a bile that's on a trailer, but I don't think you'll get slapped down for it.  Kinda funny-looking, maybe -- I'd for sure take a photo -- but still, not prohibited.

Don Vesco's Turbinator used an ATV for the push vehicle - but not for the return trailer.  And the Burkland crew uses an ATV for the crew to use to chase during/after a run.  Lots of folks ride on them, and a good number of racers have them in the pit, sporting a trailer hitch ball, and use it in the staging lines to tow the race vehicle ahead while moving to the start line.  Go ahead and do it -- that's my vote.  Remember -- this site is offering our opinions, not the official word of the SCTA.  Go to www.scta-bni.org for them, and if you seriously want an answer -- look up the various officials in the rulebook and ask the appropriate one of 'em for your particular need.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
You can set up a daily "pit area" off to the side of the course behind the starting line and just make laps. You need a cb and fire extinguisher on the atv. You will start off on course 4 for rookie orientation and rooking runs.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
Wasn't the BLM ticketing people on ATVs this year as what appered to be retaliation for our legal action to "Save the Salt"?

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »

As for riding back in the race vehicle - I've often seen rider on a bike, being towed.  I don't remember seeing someone on a bile that's on a trailer, but I don't think you'll get slapped down for it.  Kinda funny-looking, maybe -- I'd for sure take a photo -- but still, not prohibited.

Bike has to be towed on a trailer or front wheel in the air but not with a rope (Wink rule)
If you're sitting on a bike on a trailer and it is moving you will likely get a stern talking to
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »
Bike has to be towed on a trailer or front wheel in the air but not with a rope (Wink rule)
If you're sitting on a bike on a trailer and it is moving you will likely get a stern talking to
Yes,And since ATV's are single rider really,then the race bike rider is sitting "illegal" on the ATV behind the ATV rider.If other's are using ATV's to tow back the race bike and the race bike rider isn't walking sitting on the towed bike, then this situation isn't an issue.
 I'll email an inspector as mentioned a few posts above.Thanks

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »

G

The salt spray from the tow vehicle will discourage this in a few feet on the return road.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
I worked out that sitting on top of our tank was a much, much, much more comfortable way to travel back to the pits with our tank, for some reason being towed is the most painful way to travel in it, at speed on the track it is like glass but being towed seven miles back to the pits is cruel and unusual punishment, the only issue is that the best way to get salt into the cab is to tow it with the canopy up....this time we'll have a little tonneau or tarp......... :roll: the salt flicked up by the tow vehicle is pretty severe, try walnut sized clods, at speed!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »
Magic Words -- "Tow Bar"
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
 Ok,the ATV is out.We got a carrier with an easy load ramp for the rear of the RV.So 32 RV is now chase vehicle.Less baggage is better.