Author Topic: Tubing requirement change for 2-wheel streamliners  (Read 78735 times)

Offline superleggera

Re: Tubing requirement change for 2-wheel streamliners
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2012, 01:39:02 PM »
Historical questions but somewhat relevant to this thread discussion: (to educate a few of us who haven't raced for decades on the salt nor have all the answers)

1) When did the current rules go into effect relating to roll cage tubing diameters? (1971 or 1974?)  What predicated the change then?

2) Has there been any structural changes in tubing, roll cage design or "cockpit area" via the rulebook since then? (ignoring belts/fire bottles updates)

3) From what I understood, the biggest change for the motorcycle streamliners was the front wheel diameter obstructing forward cockpit vision -- thus retiring many streamliners years ago.  Does anyone have more info on how/why the rule was changed then?
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
You know, before we bash the crap out of SCTA and other organizations, you have to realize that if the SCTA and AMA/BUB didn't exist, and didn't prepare a massive comprehensive set of rules and regulations that allows us to go out and play crazy on the Salt Flats, we wouldn't be able to do so.  The BLM would see to that.  And consider that the rules that have evolved give us a measure of comfort that the machines we are building are built to a standard that has proven to work in the past.  

I've been involved as a board member with other organizations and I can tell you that it is not fun when you start getting threats from lawyers who have clients that take exception to your decisions and you are told that you, as a board member, can be held liable for the decisions of the entire board, if it is found that such decision was negligent in any way.  The current regulations have shown that vehicles that are built in compliance with these regulations are relatively safe, and the proof is that some of them have crashed horrendously, and drivers/riders have survived, and that the structures have not been found to be deficient.

However, as to the currently suggested rule change to increase the size of the tubing for cages for motorcycle streamliners without evidence that this change would make them any safer, would be folly.  Imagine if the rule were to be implemented without such evidence, and someone were to be seriously hurt in a subsequent crash, regardless of the reason.  How long do you think it would take for a bunch of scumsucking lawyers to pick up on the change, and use it along with some of the comments made here that such a change might subject the driver to higher G-forces, to sue the organization for making such a change.  What defense would SCTA have to prove that said change was made to make the vehicle safer? I think that in this case the proper course of action would be not to try to fix it if it ain't broken.

This is not to say that SCTA and others should not be continuously reviewing their rules as speeds increase and to review each and every incident to find out the causes.  They have to be seen as showing due diligence to protect themselves.  But they shouldn't make changes unless those changes can be shown to make our vehicles safer.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2012, 04:06:51 PM »
You know, before we bash the crap out of SCTA and other organizations, you have to realize that if the SCTA and AMA/BUB didn't exist, and didn't prepare a massive comprehensive set of rules and regulations that allows us to go out and play crazy on the Salt Flats, we wouldn't be able to do so.  The BLM would see to that.  And consider that the rules that have evolved give us a measure of comfort that the machines we are building are built to a standard that has proven to work in the past.  

I've been involved as a board member with other organizations and I can tell you that it is not fun when you start getting threats from lawyers who have clients that take exception to your decisions and you are told that you, as a board member, can be held liable for the decisions of the entire board, if it is found that such decision was negligent in any way.  The current regulations have shown that vehicles that are built in compliance with these regulations are relatively safe, and the proof is that some of them have crashed horrendously, and drivers/riders have survived, and that the structures have not been found to be deficient.

However, as to the currently suggested rule change to increase the size of the tubing for cages for motorcycle streamliners without evidence that this change would make them any safer, would be folly.  Imagine if the rule were to be implemented without such evidence, and someone were to be seriously hurt in a subsequent crash, regardless of the reason.  How long do you think it would take for a bunch of scumsucking lawyers to pick up on the change, and use it along with some of the comments made here that such a change might subject the driver to higher G-forces, to sue the organization for making such a change.  What defense would SCTA have to prove that said change was made to make the vehicle safer? I think that in this case the proper course of action would be not to try to fix it if it ain't broken.

This is not to say that SCTA and others should not be continuously reviewing their rules as speeds increase and to review each and every incident to find out the causes.  They have to be seen as showing due diligence to protect themselves.  But they shouldn't make changes unless those changes can be shown to make our vehicles safer.

Tom

That just might be the point the SCTA was trying to make. Why do we allow different tubing sizes for vehicles that travel the same speed? Some demented legal eagle might just ask that question if something happened right now, maybe?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
"When did the current rules go into effect relating to roll cage tubing diameters? (1971 or 1974?)  What predicated the change then?"

I'm looking at my 1970 Rule Book (24 pages including 1 blank for notes) and there are no Motorcycle Rules, or records.  The front page says -- Motorcycles at Bonneville are subject to the jurisdiction of the American Motorcycle Association and follow the rules contained herein (none specifically to motorcycles) only in part.  Inquiries about motorcycle competition should be directed to Earl Flanders, AMA Referee.

Apparently there wasn't a "change" after that -- just an inclusion in the years to follow.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »

That just might be the point the SCTA was trying to make. Why do we allow different tubing sizes for vehicles that travel the same speed? Some demented legal eagle might just ask that question if something happened right now, maybe?

You might well be right.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.  By now, SCTA might be seeking legal help to advise them.

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »
Are our lives now ruled by lawyers? Maybe Shakespeare was right!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
Hi Dynoroom

Different tube size I would imagine, have to relate to the Weight/Mass of a vehicle.

If you need X size Tube for 1 ton vehicle at 300mph why would you also use the same size tube for a 2 ton or a 3 ton vehicle at 300mph? Wouldn't that tube need to be bigger?

If the tube size had to go up for for vehicles weighing no more than a ton, then vehicles two or three times the weight would also need a bigger tube, using the rationale put forward.

That was as simple as it got for me.

What happened is proof to me that there is a review process in place in the SCTA, it's just a bit clumsy that's all, hopefully this can be improved as well.

Pete from below :cheers:
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline edweldon

« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2012, 12:41:01 AM »
I think that in this case the proper course of action would be not to try to fix it if it ain't broken.
Tom

[/quote]

"Why do we allow different tubing sizes for vehicles that travel the same speed?" 
Please don't treat this as a rhetorical question.  Take it as a real question and sit still for a real answer.  The answer is that there is a significant difference in weight between the two.
With all due respect to the accomplished racers and other thinking members of our sport..... I understand how many of you have career war stories of encounters with inexperienced and downright ignorant engineers.  But it is time you opened your minds and listen to the small number of your lot that were trained as engineers and know a bit more about the laws of physics than you do.  We have more and more LSR projects running over 300 and knocking on the door 0f 400 and very little practical engineering knowledge (born of analysis, tests or accident experiences) of what goes on up there.
"Speed kills" ........... Well is that so?  Seems to me that you can travel all day long in a jet airliner at 550 mph without significant bodily injury. 
No, it's energy that kills.  When in the form of kinetic energy, which is in simple terms weight times speed squared, it has the ability to destroy human tissue if turned loose in a crash to find places where we don't want it to go.  And the more rapidly that energy dissipates to heat the higher the forces involved. 
A 5000 pound roadster has twice the kinetic energy at 200 mph as a 2500 lb lakester, 4 times that of a 1250 lb bike. In a crash situation non-aero energy get scrubbed off by the tires in a spin.  But some combo of partly rectangular front aspect profile, high center of gravity, ground roughness or softness and tire failure can make it go airborne and quickly "roll up in a ball".  Coupes/sedans add a fifth tendency to go airborne, their aerodynamics.   The attitude of the car on landing has a lot to do with the duration of the impact with the ground.  The shorter the duration the greater the impact forces on the cage. 
Modern streamliners and narrow tread lakesters lacking the shape shortcomings of the stock body tend to "pencil roll".  A more or less square front aspect profile is not going to roll as smoothly as a round profile.  All other factors being equal "square" will scrub off kinetic energy faster but is more likely to bounce or otherwise depart from true rolling and accentuate the shock of a final stop.
At this point we look to the cage to protect the driver by neither crushing him or allowing parts of his body to get outside its "defense perimeter".  But we also would like to see the cage have just enough flexibility to slow the application of forces from outside and thereby lessen the shocks and "g" forces to a point where the rest of the cushioning around the driver can do its job of shock isolation.  And note that this "flexibility in the vehicle structure consists of both components that deflect and then spring back to their original shape and parts that are permanently deformed as well.
An important unknown to me is how important "springiness" or elastic deflection as we engineers call it in taking the peaks off of crash shocks pointed at the driver who is already surrounded by various "padding" structures and restraints.  I somewhat suspect they are trivial, but suspicions, while they might provide paths for inquiry, do not make satisfactory results to an engineering analysis.
So back to kinetic energy.  It is my feeling that gradiation in crash event protection built into our machines should be based on the expected kinetic energy and the potential rolling stability of the vehicle.  The idea here being that the longer it rolls the lower the rate of energy disipation and therefore more moderate shocks to the driver instead of fewer severe shocks. But until we have more good engineering information on the subject we should be guided by what experience and knowledge we already have.
I still think there are lots of good engineering research projects here, both undergraduate and graduate level.  Exactly the kind of thing engineering students do for degree credit.  I would specifically exclude any work that involved design of even the smallest part of a competitor's vehicle.  We are just talking of research to characterize real world crash event conditions, the response of vehicle structures and safety systems to those events and explore tools for analysis of the crash behavior of vehicles and their components.  You guys who know kids in school studying mechanical engineering or work with young engineers who may still be going  to night school for a graduate degree or finishing up and undergraduate degree program see who you can interest in this.  Do you have an engineer or scientist friend helping with your race effort who works in the analytical side of the business and has knowledge of the subject of dynamics or mechanical vibrations and maybe computer resources at hand?  How about someone with an FEA resource that can model the strength and deflection or either 2d or 3d structures?  Maybe there is someone out there who can move this forward.
Ed Weldon

Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2012, 01:15:32 AM »
I think that in this case the proper course of action would be not to try to fix it if it ain't broken.
Tom

"Why do we allow different tubing sizes for vehicles that travel the same speed?" 
Please don't treat this as a rhetorical question.  Take it as a real question and sit still for a real answer.  The answer is that there is a significant difference in weight between the two.
With all due respect to the accomplished racers and other thinking members of our sport..... I understand how many of you have career war stories of encounters with inexperienced and downright ignorant engineers.  But it is time you opened your minds and listen to the small number of your lot that were trained as engineers and know a bit more about the laws of physics than you do.  We have more and more LSR projects running over 300 and knocking on the door 0f 400 and very little practical engineering knowledge (born of analysis, tests or accident experiences) of what goes on up there.
"Speed kills" ........... Well is that so?  Seems to me that you can travel all day long in a jet airliner at 550 mph without significant bodily injury. 
No, it's energy that kills.  When in the form of kinetic energy, which is in simple terms weight times speed squared, it has the ability to destroy human tissue if turned loose in a crash to find places where we don't want it to go.  And the more rapidly that energy dissipates to heat the higher the forces involved. 
A 5000 pound roadster has twice the kinetic energy at 200 mph as a 2500 lb lakester, 4 times that of a 1250 lb bike. In a crash situation non-aero energy get scrubbed off by the tires in a spin.  But some combo of partly rectangular front aspect profile, high center of gravity, ground roughness or softness and tire failure can make it go airborne and quickly "roll up in a ball".  Coupes/sedans add a fifth tendency to go airborne, their aerodynamics.   The attitude of the car on landing has a lot to do with the duration of the impact with the ground.  The shorter the duration the greater the impact forces on the cage. 
Modern streamliners and narrow tread lakesters lacking the shape shortcomings of the stock body tend to "pencil roll".  A more or less square front aspect profile is not going to roll as smoothly as a round profile.  All other factors being equal "square" will scrub off kinetic energy faster but is more likely to bounce or otherwise depart from true rolling and accentuate the shock of a final stop.
At this point we look to the cage to protect the driver by neither crushing him or allowing parts of his body to get outside its "defense perimeter".  But we also would like to see the cage have just enough flexibility to slow the application of forces from outside and thereby lessen the shocks and "g" forces to a point where the rest of the cushioning around the driver can do its job of shock isolation.  And note that this "flexibility in the vehicle structure consists of both components that deflect and then spring back to their original shape and parts that are permanently deformed as well.
An important unknown to me is how important "springiness" or elastic deflection as we engineers call it in taking the peaks off of crash shocks pointed at the driver who is already surrounded by various "padding" structures and restraints.  I somewhat suspect they are trivial, but suspicions, while they might provide paths for inquiry, do not make satisfactory results to an engineering analysis.
So back to kinetic energy.  It is my feeling that gradiation in crash event protection built into our machines should be based on the expected kinetic energy and the potential rolling stability of the vehicle.  The idea here being that the longer it rolls the lower the rate of energy disipation and therefore more moderate shocks to the driver instead of fewer severe shocks. But until we have more good engineering information on the subject we should be guided by what experience and knowledge we already have.
I still think there are lots of good engineering research projects here, both undergraduate and graduate level.  Exactly the kind of thing engineering students do for degree credit.  I would specifically exclude any work that involved design of even the smallest part of a competitor's vehicle.  We are just talking of research to characterize real world crash event conditions, the response of vehicle structures and safety systems to those events and explore tools for analysis of the crash behavior of vehicles and their components.  You guys who know kids in school studying mechanical engineering or work with young engineers who may still be going  to night school for a graduate degree or finishing up and undergraduate degree program see who you can interest in this.  Do you have an engineer or scientist friend helping with your race effort who works in the analytical side of the business and has knowledge of the subject of dynamics or mechanical vibrations and maybe computer resources at hand?  How about someone with an FEA resource that can model the strength and deflection or either 2d or 3d structures?  Maybe there is someone out there who can move this forward.
Ed Weldon
[/quote]

Two things Ed.

One that's not my quote, not sure how it got mixed up....

Two, I agree with your concept and would never stop anyone from building a LSR vehicle the way you discribe. However your last paragraph would most likely make it nearly impossible for a home grown racer to ever finish their project as the lack of people willing to help or as I'm sure others have found from time to time the engineer tends to never finish the side projects as other more interesting or profitable items come his way. (Yes I understand this would be for school credit.)
Not to mention, racing as a hole is usually more involved from an engineering standpoint than most young engineers grasp at first. Yes, they can do it, but when?

The rules the SCTA puts forth are not as arbitrary as many would have you believe.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline edweldon

« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2012, 01:43:15 AM »
Mike - Sorry I got the quote thing mixed up.  Not the first time I had trouble with nested quotes.
I guess I'll just fiddle with modeling ideas on this subject for a while and look for some young engineer to inspire.
Ed

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »
Are our lives now ruled by lawyers? Maybe Shakespeare was right!

I hear that half the lawyers in the world live in the U.S., like it or not!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »
   Ya, and we've sent most of them to Washington, D.C.

Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
Mike - Sorry I got the quote thing mixed up.  Not the first time I had trouble with nested quotes.
I guess I'll just fiddle with modeling ideas on this subject for a while and look for some young engineer to inspire.
Ed

Ed,
   don't get me wrong, please get more young engineers involved. I think in the end my point was one of practicality, at least at this time.

Mike
Michael LeFevers

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
Folks, one thing we all must grasp is that the human body can only take so much acceleration/deceleration force before permanent injury and death results.

What we as racers design for is to dissipate and shorten the time that the body is subjected to these acceleration/deceleration forces. 

What I find interesting is that in LSR you find “No professionals in this sport, we're all back yard bodgers here.” (Saltpeter) that use tried and true engineering practices. The use of arches, circles, triangulation, gussets etc. etc.!!

Just look at Ron’s build. Longitudinal members for strength in the X axis, which ties nicely into the “wagon wheel” main bulkhead (behind the rider). This builds strength in ALL three axis. Then, when this is all “skinned” with the steel sheet it produces more strength.

AND this is done with smaller tubing! It is back to the "Total Package" concept.

Ron I like your build! I would ride it if I could fit in the cock house!

Not too bad for a “backyard bodger”.
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline edweldon

« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
Relative to the engineering exploration of this subject:
I got in an email conversation with one of our forum participants.  I've suggested trying to get the engineering folks in engineering education world interested in projects for students that involve exploring technical issues related to LSR.  One question is how to do that.  You have to find the right person.  Some excerpts from that conversation follow:
The ideal individual is a mechanical engineering professor at the nearest university engineering school.  These guys are always looking for ways to motivate their students and get them hooked up with real world engineering.  Get on a university's website and look up the names of the mechanical engineering faculty.  Especially young professors involved in the area of dynamics structure design and machine design.
Find one who will join you over some good beer to talk about something that his students might find very interesting and provide them with engineering project work they can get motivated over.  You can help several ways.  One is to help them understand the problem.  Another is to make it easy for them to see and touch the problem in person.  Third you can help them do necessary field work (like studying the surface characteristics of one of more of our desert racing sites and see various vehicle designs "in the flesh"   Fourth you can help them set up lab experiments and build inexpensive measuring tools for experiments. (like cheap fixtures for dial indicator measurements of chassis deflection, load scales out of hydraulic and air cylinders and pressure gauges, a small drag sled to measure traction coefficient of friction on the salt or other running surfaces, a drop hammer for salt surface penetration tests, scale models for dynamic movement observation, etc.) Few universities these days have the shop facilities as good as you have in your own workshop for building an LSR machine.
BTW, research into vehicle crash behavior has all kinds of applications outside LSR.  I see it relating to unmanned aircraft and spacecraft retrieval,  design of off road vehicles,  equipment for extreme sports,  construction of roadways,  behavior of moving objects during natural disasters accompanied by wind, earthquakes, land and snow slides, many common falling object damage situations and the design and protection of shipping packages.  So this is not exactly a "niche" area of engineering inquiry.
I think there is a lot of possibility of good results in a kind of a win-win partnership you can get working with an academic on something like this.
If I had the bandwidth in my life to do this I would.  But trying to keep up with a pile of personal responsibilities and find time to complete my last chance in life at fielding a landspeed car (the Golddiger lakester) is about all I can handle.
I honestly think the landspeed racing folks need to get a better handle on the hows and whys of the applicable technologies and the interest assistance of acedemics helps a lot.  The participation of Ohio State and BYU and maybe others I don't know of is great.  We sure can use more of that.
Ed Weldon  #923