Author Topic: a couple of questions about Production Motorcycle  (Read 7775 times)

Offline JasonS

a couple of questions about Production Motorcycle
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »
I want to race my 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R at Wilmington next year, and I have a couple of questions I would like to run by you guys. I will be joining the ECTA in January, so I won't have a rule book until then.

First question is how fast do bikes normally go in whatever class the bike would fall in? It is a four-stroke, parallel twin cylinder, dual overhead cam, 249cc, and has full factory fairing. The only modifications are flush-mount turn signals on the front, the front and rear reflectors have been removed, and the hideous plastic mud flap that hangs down below the license plate has been trimmed up to the bottom of the license plate itself. Would any of those changes keep it out of Production?

Next question is do I need a tethered kill switch? I'm sure I'll need a full leather suit, but what are the requirements for the helmet? I have a Vega Altura which, according to their website, meets DOT FMVSS 218 and European ECE 22.05.

Thank you in advance for any help you all can provide! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future. I have attached a picture of my bike with my wife on it.

Offline 55chevr

Re: a couple of questions about Production Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:42 AM »
The ECTA record in P/P 250 is 108 mph at Ohio. Tethered kill is required. Helmet must be Snell 2005 or newer approved. Some ECE helmets are acceptable.

Joe

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »
The rules will require the mud flap be as from the manufacturer, but you are 100% right, bobbed looks better.

Go to the ECTA website and buy the 2012 book. The least changed class rules will be the production class. The rule books will not likely be available Jan. 01, 2013 so you will be able to get your bike ready AND learn the rules and procedures, the rules are basically common sense and safety related and you will be able to read about the procedures at Wilimgton, each track is a little different due to their circumstances.

Offline JasonS

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies so far. I was afraid the mud flap would be an issue. Would that put me in Modified Partial Streamliner? I will go ahead and order a 2012 rule book to familiarize myself with the rules of the different classes. Unless someone would like to donate their old rule book of course lol. I will go ahead and start on the tether switch since I know that will be universal across all the classes.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »
Yes, you would be in MPS.  The current record for MPS/G 250-4 is 105.663.  You will also need a metal chain guard as well as few more items found in the rulebook.  Just for clarification:  Production class means it appears exactly how it came from the dealer new, with the exception of safety modications.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »
Jason..I have an extra 2012 ECTA rulebook..PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

Bill

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
About the metal chain guard:  If you know which end of a set of vice grips and a hacksaw to hold - make your own.  If you'd rather have one that looks nicer than you can make -- check with Guy Caputo at Tiger Racing.  He advertises on this site and supplies metal chain guards for many bikes - maybe even your little Ninjette.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JasonS

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
RansomT, thank you for letting me know the current record. That gives me an idea of what to shoot for. This is my primary bike though so it won't be a full-on effort to break records until I can get another.

Bill, thank you so much for the offer! I sent you a PM, and I'm more than willing to give you a couple dollars through PayPal or something.

Slim, I'd like to make one on my own. I have a good friend at work who is the toolmaker, so I have access to plenty of nice machines for small jobs!

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
Congratulations on joining one of the most competetive segments in ECTA. Quite a group of racers comprise the world of 250cc rides in the club and you will have a wealth of experienced racers to help you. The 250's are a family within a family. Double check about needing the reflectors you removed. Like it's been said , the bike must LOOK like it just came off of the showroom floor. Also make sure safety mods are considered as such by the tech folks - steering sabilizer (yes), braided brake lines (no). You're gonna have big fun.

Offline JasonS

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »
I have decided on running in Modified Partial Streamliner since I don't want to buy a stock undertail with the big full-length mud flap. The fairings need some bodywork after a slow speed fall due to gravel in the road last week, so instead of forking out money for OEM fairings, I can play around with these instead. I figure I will run in MPS/TG-250/4 as there is no record listed yet. Is that the correct designation for the gas twin class? I may talk my wife into taking the V-Star 250 we are buying her in the Spring to set the first record in Modified Twin Gas lol.

Offline RacerX9623

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
 You should get her to set the record.  :evil: Then you can have motorcycles in the house.
trying to go 200 KPH with a 250cc four stroke.

Offline relaxedphit

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
Jason, bring her bike or just pull the fairings off your's after some MPS runs. Whatever you do, make sure she gets a couple of passes down the track. When you get home, y'all can "debate" who owns the Star and who owns the Ninja. The other options could include a  race only second Ninja or, say, a divorce (2nd Ninja is way cheaper).

Offline JasonS

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
RacerX, I really hope she does but she sometimes gets shy in front of a crowd of people.

relaxedphit, I'm going to do my best to get her to make some passes. Everything motorcycle related I do I include her too, because after 10 years of marriage she finally allowed me to start riding and got interested in them herself. If she doesn't want to pay the extra $200 to bring hers too, I'll either pull my fairings or let her run the Fuel class of MPS.

Offline JasonS

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 12:15:18 AM »
I have the rule book in hand and some ideas in my head, now I just need to get a day off work so I can start on the bike!

Offline relaxedphit

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »
You can change riders with no charge if you stay in the same class, with the same bike. Just make sure you let registration know before the run.