Author Topic: Fuel tank capacity in special construction  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Marty

Fuel tank capacity in special construction
« on: November 10, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
Hello, Simple question I have is fuel capacity in a special constructed bike. I see only modified class has a min of 1.32 gal.
Does that pertain to all classes, any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Offline 55chevr

Re: Fuel tank capacity in special construction
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »
you can use any size fuel tank in special construction.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
Just make sure that you have enough capacity to complete at least one round trip. At Bub's most folks ride the bike from the pits, to the start line, down the course, and back to the pits. This can easily be 10 miles or more, especially if you're running the international course. More than one rider I know of has run out of fuel in the middle of a run.  :-(
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »
Sometimes it is near the end of the day, end of the meet, or the weather situation is deteriorating and you will want to make a quick return run.  It is good to have enough fuel in the tank to do this.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
Also don't forget if you run a gas class you have to have your tank sealed. You want to have enough in the tank so you are not going to the fuel station every day. That is a hassle and time consuming.

One year we thought we would get fuel and get sealed up before racing started at 7 am. Got to the fuel truck and it did not open till 9am. So we wasted over 2 hours just waiting.

Don
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:18:39 PM by donpearsall »
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Marty

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
Hey Fello Salt acers,
                                  I am running a nitrous fuel class or just fuel? Not sure which yet but was wondering how much fuel some folks are using for a 500cc two cycle for the mountain course. My dragbike uses approx 64 oz on a 1/4 mile pass but this is a large cc four cyl.
                          Just trying to get an idea on mileage, so I can build my fuel cell. I know its a shot in the dark, but someone should have an idea of there fuel requirements. Thanks

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
Kawasaki ZX12 at 1286cc, naturally aspirated (efi) on Alcohol, rode from the pits to the 0, run at wot (196mph) to 8, then back to pits,, 5liters in total,, hope this helps, :-)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:25:01 PM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Marty

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »
Hey Stay,
                   That helps out VERY wel. Thank you very much it answers all my questions.