Author Topic: moped ?  (Read 52565 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: moped ?
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2012, 10:30:21 PM »
if I remember right, this same bike set a record at El Mirage at 38+ mph on Oct 10, 2007

Close.

P-PV
   Gerardi-Sloan-Romero-Manghelli    R. Yacoucci    11/07      39.648

Tom G.

PS. Entry names varied. Just depended on who filled out the entry. I filled out this one.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:37:30 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »
I just got a self-propelled lawnmower for Christmas with a Honda GX160 engine in it.  I've taken one wheel off it and thinking of running Sidecar classes with it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
Okay, fine -- what's your point? :evil: :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2012, 03:28:33 PM »
Just trying for a little humor . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline **RP**

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 06:59:05 AM »
"Maybe if the engine wasnt designed to be a motorcycle engine, it must not be a motorcycle."

I should not have posted that idea, it would eliminate MotoGuzzi Vtwins and that is not appropriate. 

Modify button and my apology to the Guzzi riders.

JimL

It would eliminate the Honda Gold Wing too.....I think that was first designed to be a generator motor.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »
Wow, a lot of assumptions made about my posts.

I waited patiently for a rule book before I posted again.  The reason I asked the question here in the first place was to avoid waiting for a rule book.

I simply wanted to know if the rule that required a motorcycle engine in motorcycle classes had been changed.  I was not "protesting" the record I mentioned, but since it is so clearly not a motorcycle engine - or even a motorcycle, I wanted a clarification. 

A young man that used to work for me as a fabricator was asking me if I could build a version of the Jr Dragster engines that would be ok for LSR.  When I told him that it was "Motorcycle engines only" he whipped out his tablet & started showing me pictures of the A-PF 175 record holder in question.  That engine has never been installed in a motorcycle by a manufacturer.  The owner has made no effort to conceal the origin of the engine, so I wanted to know if a rule change had been made that would allow some different stuff to run at Bonneville.    That's it, nothing else. Since this was a moped thread, and the machine in question has pedals, it seemed like the appropriate thread to post in.

Someone here was gracious enough to give me contact info for Matt Shuss.  I e-mailed mr Shuss, and he stated clearly "We do not allow non-motorcycle engines".  good enough for me.

So it appears the the owner of that bicycle was either a better salesman than Joe Isuzu, or Stevie Wonder was doing a stint as a tech inspector that day.  I told my young friend that he can't run a Jr dragster flathead in a motorcycle frame.  I suspect he will keep working on his NASA car instead of heading for the salt.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out here.

B.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
You've pointed out how easy it is for the motorcycle inspectors to police 1800(+?) classes.  That's why they get the big bucks; too bad they can't spend them.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »
My Cat B&S motorcycle ran OK.  So did a few hundred thousands of others.  Guess I was born in a different era or different income level than you guys.  At least I bought mine cash by mowing yards.
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »
As it looks like this thread might be coming to an end, I would like to point out a few things, this is not for you veteran racers that know it all, it might help a few that read this thread and get confused as to how the tech process works.

First it is not up to the techs, or the SCTA to classify the bike or car.  When in tech, you are basically being checked for safety, the check off sheet helps with this process.  It does have a check off for, is the class designation and entry number displayed properly?  If the tech sees' something that is obvious out of class, he tells the team that if they make it to impound that could be a problem.  They do not run to a book that gives reference to every motorcycle engine ever made.

On tech day, when you are looking down a line as far as you can see of racers waiting to be  teched, it gets very intimidating, and when you have a lot of new entries that haven't done their homework, it gets very frustrating.  The best techs learn how to read the people they are teching, sometimes it is obvious that they are trying to steer you around something or get away with something.

If they make it to impound that is when proper build to class comes in, can mistakes be made, Yuuup.  Thats why the protest system is so important, sometimes a racer might run and hold a record thats out of class for several years, and finally it gets protested and has to get corrected.

1.B would have this particular moped run for time only, was it an intentional mistake, I hope not, Sh...t doe's happen.   :?

Steve       

I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure a  mistake was made.  The question is now what happens.  A non motorcycle engine has been certified for a record.  Cert., tag and trophy sent and record listed.  Will the record be removed?  If not does that mean the SCTA is now allowing non motorcycle engines in motorcycle classes?  If the SCTA is not going to allow non motorcycle engines then the record has to be removed.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
You can ask tech to check your bike for class legality. I have done that when I had pushed the envelope. I have also been declared illegal after a quailfier. I miseterpeted(sp?) a rule. It was a quick, hacksaw, fix. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
I'm not saying that there hasn't been simular conditions when the record has been pulled. But it should be done in a manner that all parties involved get a fair chance to know what is going on and present there case, and defend their case, such as the protest in impound.

Page 12 / 2012 RB / 1.H last paragraph Board of Directors.

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I just got a self-propelled lawnmower for Christmas with a Honda GX160 engine in it.  I've taken one wheel off it and thinking of running Sidecar classes with it.

T'would appear you will be running fuel.

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »
How 'bout an exhaust deflector?  Give up a bit of power, maybe, but save your left thigh = and more important, a good portion of the family jewels.  Heat makes for genetic mutations.

"Don't point that thing at me unless you mean it!!" :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure a  mistake was made.  The question is now what happens.  A non motorcycle engine has been certified for a record.  Cert., tag and trophy sent and record listed.  Will the record be removed?  If not does that mean the SCTA is now allowing non motorcycle engines in motorcycle classes?  If the SCTA is not going to allow non motorcycle engines then the record has to be removed.

Just stopped by to see if this was ever answered...