Author Topic: moped ?  (Read 52566 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: moped ?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »
If you have a rule book you'll find that they're listed in same as the officials to contact for motorcycle rules clarification. Their contact information is also on the SCTA website accessible from the home page of this website. Look under Contact Us on the SCTA website.

Lem, rather than continuing to speculate, why don't you go straight to the source as shown above? These guys are usually pretty good at replying promptly and the answer would be accurate. You could refer them to this thread or attach a copy or link.

Pete

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
I would say all you would need to do is show the Briggs was used in those thousands of mini-bikes

Is a mini-bike a motorcycle?  Put an engine (any engine) in a bicycle and it is referred to as a "motorized bicycle" not a "motorcycle".  Does putting a lawnmower engine in a tiny frame with kart wheels qualify it as a motorcycle?  The rules say motorcycle engine.  Does using an engine designed for a lawnmower in a minibike frame qualify it as a motorcycle engine?  Boss Hoss make motorcycles with Chevy V8 engines.  Does that qualify a Chevy V8 as a motorcycle engine?  I don't see, even with a huge stretch of the imagination, how any Briggs and Stratton engine could qualify as a motorcycle engine.

I think somehow the tech people were conned.  I'd love to be proved wrong.

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline salt27

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »
"Boss Hoss", you were reading my mind, Bill. :wink:

Don

Offline JimL

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 02:08:14 PM »
Here is a chinese pitbike with a similar engine.  I still wouldnt like to see go kart, minibike, pocket bike etc engines in motorcycle classes.  If anything with two wheels is a motorcycle, there may be no concerns about kart and minibike engine use.  I wonder if this would also allow the small block Chevy (or part of one)?

I'm glad its not my responsibility to figure this stuff out; I confuse easily!

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/bamibipa.html

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
How many motorcycles have S&S produced?
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »
Anybody besides me and Dan remember the White Goose Bar 50cc vintage production racer?  Bicycle with a Whizzer type kit on it.  Good thing leathers were required, the tassels on the grips would have thrashed the riders forearms  :-o

I guess we will see if they considered the bike a factory works race bike... 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JimL

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
"Maybe if the engine wasnt designed to be a motorcycle engine, it must not be a motorcycle."

I should not have posted that idea, it would eliminate MotoGuzzi Vtwins and that is not appropriate. 

Modify button and my apology to the Guzzi riders.

JimL
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:01:41 PM by JimL »

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 06:49:48 PM »
You can wonder, ponder, study, question, post all you want about this unit, the place to protest it was when it hit impound. 

Steve 
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
I think the time and place for protesting is fully known.  This is more off a how'd he pull it off discussion.  All I can figure is there mst have been a crack or two at tech and the bike slipped through.  That or the rider is the salesman of the year.

Offline JR529

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »
Anybody besides me and Dan remember the White Goose Bar 50cc vintage production racer?  Bicycle with a Whizzer type kit on it.  Good thing leathers were required, the tassels on the grips would have thrashed the riders forearms  :-o

I guess we will see if they considered the bike a factory works race bike...  

Sorry stainless, it was not a "Bicycle with a Whizzer type kit on it", it was a 1955 Express Radexi, 50cc production motorcycle. 100% stock (except for the tassels). The Express M/C company of germany made thousands of those a year.

http://www.express-radexi.de/radexi2a.html

The engine in it was a 50cc 2-stroke that was designed and mfg by Express expressly for the Radexi. (bad pun :-p) Express was a German M/C company who joined with DKW & Victoria in 1958 to form Zweirad-Union. In 1966 they were joined by Hercules and soon after the company was absorbed into the Sachs group.

When we ran in the P/PV class and qualified, Tom (rightly) threw us out of impound because of the GPS we had mounted to the handlebars. We had to take everything extra off the bike, mount them to the riders arms so the bike would remain 100% stock and re-qualify. It still only went 33 mph.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:20:26 PM by JR529 »

Offline dw230

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
I think that was the year the White Goose Bar Team had the slowest record and the fastest record with the same rider/driver. Rick Yacoucci - 33/352.

IIRC

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline JR529

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »
I think that was the year the White Goose Bar Team had the slowest record and the fastest record with the same rider/driver. Rick Yacoucci - 33/352.

IIRC

DW

Same rider/driver and on the same day

Offline DiveEZ

• Land Speed Photos.com
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
if I remember right, this same bike set a record at El Mirage at 38+ mph on Oct 10, 2007
Zane
50's Hybrid, Burns Gasoline and rubber.

www.LandSpeedPhotos.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
I like the tuck.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »
He's just looking down to see if the dirt is actually going by.  38+ huh.  Tailwind that day?