Author Topic: moped ?  (Read 52700 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: moped ?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
I'm just a car guy who took the builder at his word. Maybe it's time to sit back and see if you just opened a can of worms or if his interpretation is correct.

Pete

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
From what I can see he ran in A which is special construction so nothing wrong there.  The engine I can't comment on but the inspectors are usually pretty sharp when in comes to motorcycle engines vs lawn mower engines.  If you are 100% certain his engine is not a motorcycle engine I'd get in touch with Matt or Van.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »
Pete:

I understand taking a builder at their word.  I usually do as well, and in fact this builder has not hidden the fact that it is a Honda GX160 engine.

Nortonist:

Thanks for your reply I am afraid I don't know either of those people, but I would like to know where to go for a rule clarification.  If the lawn mower & go-kart engines are good to go, it opens the field up quite a bit.  My nephew can run 7.90 @ 85mph in the 1/8th with a modified Briggs & Stratton flat head. 

Here is the engine that was used:

http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx160

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 05:50:31 PM »
If you have a rule book you'll find that they're listed in same as the officials to contact for motorcycle rules clarification. Their contact information is also on the SCTA website accessible from the home page of this website. Look under Contact Us on the SCTA website.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:56:59 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »
It would appear you have a case.  Matt Schuss and Van Butler's email addresses are in the rule book.  

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »
So his record was done with a lawn mower engine and it beat a record held by a traditional motorcycle engine?  Man I really need to talk to my Gardener/lawn manicurist and time him versus a motorcycle engine..

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »
Maybe late with this.

Anybody mention the machine is on p116 of the 2012 Bonneville program?
Second pic down for the directionally challenged.

Sarcasm aside,

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

And Godspeed, Tony Waters!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JimL

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »
Here is their own pic of the Honda clone engine (implement engine) and the aftermarket go kart parts that make good power.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsmanflyer/6157364837/in/photostream/

It's all on their website.  I can't figure out how it oils correctly.  It looks like the dipper is in the wrong spot (engine is designed to sit on the large flat, with cylinder angled up a bit from horizontal.). The recoil starter has been moved, in the photo, to get the cylinder vertical for the pic.  I wonder if it could run with the oil level at just the right point to get lightly tagged by the dipper?  ....or maybe flip the rod?    Interesting adaption and looks pretty cute with all the stuff trimmed off.

There is a lot of great development in various go kart engines, if it will be ok to use them now.  It would sure save a lot of money, not having to buy old motorcycles, cut them up, convert to chain drive, and so on.  Multiple go kart engines could make some fast pushrod bikes!  I think the flathead displacement allowance could be a real winner with the hot Briggs & Strattons.  Very high rpm and surprising power!

...and yesterday I bought another old pushrod Honda motorcycle to cut up, because thats how I read it in the book. :wink:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:41:14 AM by JimL »

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 12:34:05 AM »
Looking at Rule 7.G.9 on page 120 of your blue rulebook
He should have been running TO

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 01:52:11 AM »
Looking at Rule 7.G.9 on page 120 of your blue rulebook
He should have been running TO

G

Oops?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 06:51:23 AM »
I wondered about the modified Briggs & Stratton motors these mini dragsters are using.  Lots of speed parts available.  You could make a case that they were offered in lots of mini-bikes back in the day.  And now, I'll bet that Honda GX 160 is also used in Chinese mini-bikes, if mini-bikes qualify as motorcycles.  I understand that Mustang also produced some of there bikes (motorcycles?) with Briggs motors, although maybe only for off-road.  Still, two wheels and a motor.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 10:46:02 AM »
to be production 500 produced, then you can have modified. 
special construction only needs one. 
If a motor is used in a motorcycle anywhere in the world, any decade, as a production motor, it is legal in SC. 
I would say all you would need to do is show the Briggs was used in those thousands of mini-bikes, then use the motor in your special construction frame and you are a record holder... oh, you will have to run it a couple of miles on a couple of days.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
It could also be said a mini-bike is not a motorcycle...  :mrgreen:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
I'm just curious, and I realize this section is for SCTA rules, but couldn't this combination run the BUB meet as a legal motorcycle because of the different rule structure?

Pete

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
to be production 500 produced, then you can have modified. 
special construction only needs one. 
If a motor is used in a motorcycle anywhere in the world, any decade, as a production motor, it is legal in SC. 
I would say all you would need to do is show the Briggs was used in those thousands of mini-bikes, then use the motor in your special construction frame and you are a record holder... oh, you will have to run it a couple of miles on a couple of days.  :-D

And there is the problem.  This builder claims he produces the Motorized Bicycle with that engine. But his total production appears to be about 5 bicycles.  None of his bikes are street legal as shown.

I am waiting on a rule book, so all I can do is ask questions here right now.   If in fact I can run a briggs based engine like we do in Jr Dragster then there is a lot of room for innovation as others have already pointed out.

If making 5 bikes with a different engine will qualify, then I can have a half dozen units ready by the second quarter of 2013 with Yamaha 100cc kart engines to satisfy the the same level of production.