Author Topic: moped ?  (Read 52716 times)

Offline caleb

• New folks
Re: moped ?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 11:18:01 PM »
Hey, thanks! After further diging, I may fit a little easier into the BUB RWB class..... But all info is great!

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
thank you all, to answer a few questions. No it dose not have pedals, but it did from the factory. I guess i will have to look into BUB because i am wanting to see the limits of the engine i curently have. I'm not looking to hold the fastest record for a moped in general, but to reach a personal goal of 1 mph per cc. The setup that I have is based off of a motor that dyno'd in at 76.9 mph but would only run at 72 mph max on the track. To the best of my knowledge no one has hit 74 mph on 74cc (on this motor) with out nitro, glowfuel, or some other additive other that just pump gas/ oil pre-mix. I have a few contacts in Denver and in Seattle to direct me in a general direction for jetting and air/fuel mix, but that will only be able to be fine tuned there. oh and this little motor is pushing the boundary of 14 HP !!!

That's actually not bad for a moped engine.  An 80cc out of a WC racing dirtbike is 17-20HP, RM80 et al. 

I'm planning on attending my first BUB event next year for some Time Only runs with my son.

Hope to see you there. 

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
50cc and 100cc Motorcycle classes are some of the most competitive I've seen, ain't no low hanging fruit there...

The names Butler, McLeish, Guthrie hold the Lions share of the records.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:09 PM »
Mike --

You're right (sorta). 

In the 2012 Rule Book, there are 38 records for 50cc and 39 for 100cc.  But the 500cc class has 62 listed.  That means that over 20 records in both 50cc and 100cc are Open.  If not more -- who knows if the 62 in 500cc are the full limit.  Gotta remember that there are at least twice as many bike records as car records. 

What are the Open records?  Consult someone who has lots of bike records like Scott Guthrie -- I'm sure he could explain it to you.

Stan

(I wonder if there are 20+ Open records in MMP and BMMP.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »
Stupid question:  in SCTA are they allowed to run the Yamaha 100cc gocart engine?  This is the most common 100cc engine, and probably the only 100cc race engine currently produced?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »
You could put it in a roadster, but not a bike.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
You could put a hamster wheel in a Roadster AFAIK and run in the STRR?  class  (street roadster with rodent)?  Don't have my book handy.  Pretty sure the hamster has to be tech'd for steriods.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
Stupid question:  in SCTA are they allowed to run the Yamaha 100cc gocart engine?  This is the most common 100cc engine, and probably the only 100cc race engine currently produced?
You could put it in a roadster, but not a bike.

In a roadster it would still have to run against the Hayabusa motors....  :-o
it is probably based on a bike motor so it could be slipped in a modified or SC
put the pedals back on it and run it in production, who'd know....  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 09:59:11 AM »
Stan, I can't even run Fuel, I'stuck in a gas class only,  Oh to be able to run E85 !

now, back to weed whacker motors...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
Well, it sure looks like you can run a bicycle based two wheeler at Bonneville.

There is a guy bragging about crushing an A-PF record with a bicycle frame with a lawnmower engine stuffed in it.  Still has pedals on it in the pics.

I thought it was MC engines only in MC frames for SCTA, but I guess I got that wrong.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
I think you're still right for Bonneville -- at least where the SCTA is concerned.  Maybe he ran another event?

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »
No,he is claiming SCTA.   Posting pics of tags & certs online. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsmanflyer/8232222233/in/photostream

?

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 08:33:49 AM »
35B Bonneville Flyer 175CC  A-PF    71.040 73.526 Gunther Maier

from the run log August 15th ....

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 09:34:06 AM »
Well, it sure looks like you can run a bicycle based two wheeler at Bonneville.

There is a guy bragging about crushing an A-PF record with a bicycle frame with a lawnmower engine stuffed in it.  Still has pedals on it in the pics.

I thought it was MC engines only in MC frames for SCTA, but I guess I got that wrong.

Lem, if you go through his photos far enough you'll find that those frames, which he custom builds, are built differently and with heavier tubing and wider spacing so he can mount motorcycle tires and wheels. The pedals go through the crank mount hole but both face back and are locked in that position. The bikes are a pretty good replica of an old board track racer powered by one of the Chinese import m/c engines modified for the purpose.

Instead of trying to tear someone else's work down why not get to work and use your own ingenuity?

Pete
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:05:04 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline Lem

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »
I always believed the rules were for everybody. If the rules say MC engines only, then that is what I must compete with.

That is not an import MC engine.  It is a GX160 lawnmower type engine. 

He is claiming that he is a manufacturer, and that the machine is a modification of his "production" Motorized Bicycle.  What constitutes a Production vehicle to the SCTA?  Can I build 3 frames & call it good?

Since he is claiming Production, should it not be class M?  Modified from a production machine?

He removed the chain & swung the pedals back on it. Fine. 

So the question is can I now run any engine in MC class since he has done so?     

Not tearing down the work of others, just need to know if the engine rule is no longer applied before I advise someone on an engine build.  No sense in nursing an old Triumph or Harley back to life if a modern lawnmower engine is good to go.