Author Topic: moped ?  (Read 52709 times)

Offline caleb

• New folks
moped ?
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:19:26 AM »
Total noob here, I am familiar with most road race rules and reg. For mopeds. But, I am not finding much info on them for the salt. By this I assume a moped would fall under the motorcycle class by cc·s. If so or if other wise please school me.... Nicely....

Offline JustaRacer

Re: moped ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »
IIRC, a French team ran a Moped in 2008?  If so, check for record in 50cc class with "Tri-Continental?" or similar sounding entry name?

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
"Wheels must have a minimum nominal diameter of 15 in."
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline caleb

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
No worries.. 17" rims with total of 21" dia

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:13:39 AM »
What exactly is it
It's hard to tell from your Avitar
The French guys certainly did run a moper at Speedweek in 2011
The hardest bit was mounting the steering dampner
I seem to recall they ran in MΩ and MPSΩ
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
A French team with a 50cc pitted next to us a few years ago. They were able to break down their bike so it could be packed in 3 suitcases and the cases were just loaded as luggage on the plane.

I always thought this was a cool story.....

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
Internal combustion engine in checked baggage is FAA/TSA violation.  They were lucky, we have to dispose of confiscated engines all the time. Usually chain saws and generators.  We donate them to the Boy Scouts.

Joe

Offline will6er

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
I believe the French bike was compressed air powered, accounting for the Omega class

Will6er

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »
No fuel - no combustion - okay to fly. I am sure the cylinder was empty as compressed gas is also no fly.  We get confiscated shock absorbers and even air conditioners all the time. 

Offline caleb

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:40 AM »
The bike is a heavily modified 1978 jc penny pinto. It was designed by Puch and made by Kromag in Austria. Current setup, 74cc gilardoni jug on an E50 single speed motor with static cdi ignition, 4 petal reed block, 24 mm oko carb and custom exhaust by mlm. Top flat ground speed of 65mph.if I upgrade my igniton , reeds and carb I should be looking at 70 +mph.

Offline sabat

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
Have you looked at the 100cc records?

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/Records/Bikes.html

No pedals on this moped, right?

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »
The bike is a heavily modified 1978 jc penny pinto. It was designed by Puch and made by Kromag in Austria. Current setup, 74cc gilardoni jug on an E50 single speed motor with static cdi ignition, 4 petal reed block, 24 mm oko carb and custom exhaust by mlm. Top flat ground speed of 65mph.if I upgrade my igniton , reeds and carb I should be looking at 70 +mph.

Bville has high DA (Density Altitude).  Expect a significant drop in engine output.

There is no Moped recordkeeping for SCTA (cars and motorcycles), not sure about BUB (motorcycle org that runs at Bville).

The French team ran on soft/open record at 50cc gas engine SCTA-BNI, and they still hit 60mph at 50cc. 

If your class allows engine swaps, a modern water cooled 80cc two stroke is going to make a lot more sustained HP.  Air-cooled is not the way to go.

If you got bucks, there are some rotary valve two strokes that either have water cooling or can be made water cooled. 

With a good 2-stroke tuner, the rotary valves are king of the hill.  No piston port or reed engine can touch them when tuned right. 

I would guess a max effort RV WC 100cc could push 30HP? 
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »
If you want to go all out in the 50 class find a works VanVeen engine.  The last of the factory engines dynoed at 28 bhp and capable of well over  120.  One Kriedler fitted with Burt Munro style streamlining ran 140.  Crappy photo below.

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline caleb

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
thank you all, to answer a few questions. No it dose not have pedals, but it did from the factory. I guess i will have to look into BUB because i am wanting to see the limits of the engine i curently have. I'm not looking to hold the fastest record for a moped in general, but to reach a personal goal of 1 mph per cc. The setup that I have is based off of a motor that dyno'd in at 76.9 mph but would only run at 72 mph max on the track. To the best of my knowledge no one has hit 74 mph on 74cc (on this motor) with out nitro, glowfuel, or some other additive other that just pump gas/ oil pre-mix. I have a few contacts in Denver and in Seattle to direct me in a general direction for jetting and air/fuel mix, but that will only be able to be fine tuned there. oh and this little motor is pushing the boundary of 14 HP !!!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »
Don't forget "our own" John Buddenbaum @ 233 KPH.

The aforementioned European bikes were pretty much heavily sponsored (i.e Pentax) with 'factory" help and supercharged in at least one case..

Don't get discouraged, Caleb, there's plenty of "self satisfaction " in just doing yer own thing.

Allan Spears where are you on this topic?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:08:09 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)