Author Topic: Help needed...  (Read 87328 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Help needed...
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
It is $99 for Bonneville Pro but a whole lot of other stuff as well. Look at the line up, impressive savings if you can use. Includes PipeMax!

x2!

Like I said: 12 apps total.    Probably $1200/$1500 if purchased separately . . . . . .

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
John,

I'm still running most of my apps under Windows 7 on "older" (4/5 years) laptops & desktops.    Used laptops of this vintage are very affordable, sometimes they can be give away types.     With a purchase of say, Windows 7 Ultimate, ($? ?)   and a solid state hard drive  < $70 for 240GB, your total cost could be < $200 if you are able to change the drive and configure the laptop yourself.

OR, you can just buy a new laptop at BestBuy, WalMart, whatever, for ~ $350 to $400 for a NEW Thinkpad, Notebook, or whatever.

Less features = lower price;  more features = higher price;  go figure . . . . .

Now that I am "mostly retired", cost is a consideration for me as well.   My big expense is: printer ink!   As expensive as liquid plutonium . . . . . . . .    I now buy ink in bulk and refill my own cartridges.   Somehow I've turned into my grandfather, or: Mr. Wilson!

Prettytechnoboy

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
OK, I did my part. I am #163 but looks doubtful they reach 200 by 3/13. One can hope.

John

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 10:41:09 PM »

OK, I did my part. I am #163 but looks doubtful they reach 200 by 3/13. One can hope.

John

Not to worry.    I've seen these "Bulk Buys" 2/3 times now, and there is always a rush to buy at the last minute, say the last 6/12 hours.

F/b

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 01:21:29 AM »
The programs have value, for sure.  It is possible to calculate the needed gearing to a gnat's butt of accuracy on the computer and be totally off during race week.  The reason is that we race in varying and unpredictable track conditions.  A method that sorta works is to get the gearing in the ballpark using the programs and to concentrate on having the ability to make quick ratio changes while on the salt.   

Offline ggl205

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »
The programs have value, for sure.  It is possible to calculate the needed gearing to a gnat's butt of accuracy on the computer and be totally off during race week.  The reason is that we race in varying and unpredictable track conditions.  A method that sorta works is to get the gearing in the ballpark using the programs and to concentrate on having the ability to make quick ratio changes while on the salt.   

I agree fully, WW. Getting close on correct gear ratios can sometimes be problomatic. Kind of like sighting in a rifle for the first time. I remember my first pass at Bonneville. I used the same Hewland Mk9 gearbox I have today and thought gear spread was close. Well, never got out of first gear for the entire pass. But we did not have gear calculators specifically for Bonneville back then (1993).

Strong points of that little Hewland are number of gear choices and can be swapped out in around 30 minutes.

John

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »

John

Not to worry.    I've seen these "Bulk Buys" 2/3 times now, and there is always a rush to buy at the last minute, say the last 6/12 hours.

F/b

Up to 177 of 200 already this morning.     There will probably be several sold over the weekend.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
F/b

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 10:40:21 AM »

I agree fully, WW. Getting close on correct gear ratios can sometimes be problomatic. Kind of like sighting in a rifle for the first time. I remember my first pass at Bonneville. I used the same Hewland Mk9 gearbox I have today and thought gear spread was close. Well, never got out of first gear for the entire pass. But we did not have gear calculators specifically for Bonneville back then (1993).

Strong points of that little Hewland are number of gear choices and can be swapped out in around 30 minutes.

John

The need to be able to quickly change gear ratios was what drove the development of the "Hewland" style, changable ratio gear box.     And there is always that need.    Probably the only thing faster is a "Halibrand" style "quick change", but that only changes the diff/overall ratio.

F/b

Offline ggl205

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 05:42:48 PM »
The need to be able to quickly change gear ratios was what drove the development of the "Hewland" style, changable ratio gear box.     And there is always that need.    Probably the only thing faster is a "Halibrand" style "quick change", but that only changes the diff/overall ratio.

F/b

Weismann transaxles loaded gears from the side, eliminating the need to take all internals out through the back. But Hewland is still pretty easy.

John

Offline ggl205

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »
That group buy for Engine Pro suite of racing calculator apps just hit the 200 threshold. Looks like I will have something new to play with.

John
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:29:38 PM by ggl205 »

Offline ggl205

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »
Well, I have had ample time to use my copy of Engine Pro for Bonneville. It is nice but frankly, not as friendly as Dave Dahlgren's Gear Split. Dave mentioned he may update Gear Split to run on a modern operating system so I would encourage those interested in an updated version of Gear Split to contact Dave and prod him into making this available. I have a copy on a very old laptop with XP OS. I am on borrowed time with this computer and would love to have Gear Split on a newer OS.

John

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 11:28:41 AM »

Offline ggl205

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »
Hey Sum:

No, I have not tried anything like that. Believe me, you don't want me fooling around with computers that way (lol). Same goes for electrical systems.

John