Author Topic: Grinding welds on cage?  (Read 13672 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Grinding welds on cage?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »
Pardon me if I glom onto this topic. Regarding the gussets..Does the 4" measurement include the "clipped" corner or is it 4" of weldable area ? Clipping the corners would leave 3 to 3.5 inches of weld area depending on how much of an open corner they want.

You can't measure it if it ain't there.  :-D  BTW tube gussets are allowed as well.  

Well if you project a line thru the y axis and then thru the x axis you can measure from where they intersect.....

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. The tech inspector is going to take a tape measure and lay it next the to the gusset edge that's touching the roll cage and will expect to see at least 4" of material there.  You can only measure what's there and what's there should be at least 4" long.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 10:08:31 PM »
I did get it. It's 4 inches of weldable area attached by stitch welding. The drawing showed it best and one would hope this kind of info could included in the rul book.   :-D

Offline fastman614

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
What happens when some of the "less technically minded" tech inspectors notice that some of the gusseting is NOT triangular and some of the weldable area dimensions are GREATER THAN 4"?

Having worked as an inspector (with other inspectors), my concerns about this and many other things in the rule book, as written, are real....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.