Author Topic: Grinding welds on cage?  (Read 13746 times)

Offline SteveM

Grinding welds on cage?
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:14:59 AM »
Quick question about cleaning up/touching up some ugly welds....  Over the weekend, I got quite a bit of my roll cage fully welded (it was previously tacked).  Anyway, some of the welds need some re-work.   

In the section about roll cage gussets, the rulebook states that welds may not be ground.  Does this apply to the tube junctions as well?  I have some areas that need to be ground down and touched up.  Am I going to get any grief if there is evidence of grinding present?

Thanks,

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Grinding welds on cage?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
No grinding of welds to "make 'em purdy" anywhere on the cage. Be sure that the grinding marks are covered with new weld in the repair/touch-up areas.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
Grinding OUT a bad weld is ok---cosmetic touch ups are best left to   :?  grind it OUT to a nice V then reweld-ymmv
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
Pardon me if I glom onto this topic. Regarding the gussets..Does the 4" measurement include the "clipped" corner or is it 4" of weldable area ? Clipping the corners would leave 3 to 3.5 inches of weld area depending on how much of an open corner they want.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
I have some grind-out and re-welds to do.  Here's my excuse - I borrowed a friend's Miller 211 Auto-Set welder.  It has this feature where you just set the material thickness, and it determines the wire speed automatically.  It works great for flat, horizontal welds.  However, when you get out of position, the welder doesn't know it, and keeps the wire speed constant (no adjustment).

After a while, I figured that out, and put the machine back in manual mode, which works fantastic.  Lesson learned, and a little re-work to do, where the weld started to pile up and not flow out like it should.

Steve.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »
Pardon me if I glom onto this topic. Regarding the gussets..Does the 4" measurement include the "clipped" corner or is it 4" of weldable area ? Clipping the corners would leave 3 to 3.5 inches of weld area depending on how much of an open corner they want.

You can't measure it if it ain't there.  :-D  BTW tube gussets are allowed as well.  
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:49:20 PM »

You can't measure it if it ain't there.  :-D  BTW tube gussets are allowed as well.  

Use the same size tube as the cage. A little more fitting but the results are better IMO. Besides, they provide a handle at the most appropriate places.

Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »
Rule book shows stitch welding on the plates, not full 4" welds.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
It would sure cut down on the questions if the drawings looked like the ones below.

There is a method to request rule changes, there isn't one to recommend rule book improvements. I've sent several and been ignored.

I looked at some gusset pictures on the internet and see a lot that have the gusset centered on the tube. That just punches through the tube. The outside gusset is far better.

And if you REALLY want to learn about welding . . .
http://img2.aws.org/mwf/attachments//47/185647/farm_code_20081Draft110-Dec-08.pdf2.pdf
When working in a building and the work area is too far away for ground leads to reach it is permissible to clamp your ground to the ground or neutral
buss bar in the buildings electrical service box. Simply knock the flux off the biggest smaw rod available and jam it in the nearest 110v outlet ground near
your work area and clamp it to your work. If the lights go out and you hear sirens roll up immediately and act nonchalant as possible ....pretend you just
arrived.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »

Well if you project a line thru the y axis and then thru the x axis you can measure from where they intersect.....

Offline SteveM

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 01:39:48 PM »
The drawings are great, but the AWS Farm Code is stupendous. :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
Dean, thanks for the guide! I didn't know I had been doing everything wrong! :-D

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
Dean, I was taught to turn the weld bead around the end of the plate, at least double the distance of the thickness of the gussett. In theory that will resist a tearing moment. Anyone?...

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 01:07:03 AM »
I've always wrapped the weld around. I just felt that it gave me maximum support and a finished look.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »
Yes, I was taught to wrap the weld at the end of tabs and gussets. Resists flex and tearing of the weld and or base material.