Author Topic: Radiator duct  (Read 7029 times)

Offline tauruck

Radiator duct
« on: November 02, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »
Guys, I'm a lone voice in the wilderness here. My question concerns my radiator duct on my salt project. I'm busy getting the plug ready for molding and I've reduced the original radiator duct in size. My radiator is 28" wide and the duct in the nose is that wide but I've reduced the height from 6" down to 1 3/4". It's shaped with a good profile and when done I'll have the rad in a sealed box etc. Is the size adequate is what I'm asking. Projected speed is hopefully around 200. Thanks.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Radiator duct
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »
Do you have to run a radiator? A box of water and a pump can be much more aero than a radiator regardless of how well you duct it and get the air in and out.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
. . . and having to have a radiator doesn't mean you have to put water in it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
This why I asked. We'll be running twin turbos on the motor like they do in Pro Mod. I don't have a background in salt racing and nobody here in South Africa has done this type deal before. Being a newbie, I thought I might get a little more detail from the members here.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
Do you have to run a radiator? A box of water and a pump can be much more aero than a radiator regardless of how well you duct it and get the air in and out.

Rex

Rex;

Didn't the P-51 Mustang gain a few knots by the hot air exhausted from its radiator?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
Neil,
As I understand the P51 did have one speed range when the inlet size, the expansion duct, the heat load from the radiator and the exit duct could have made some additional thrust. The whole design of the inlet and exit duct system and radiator is probably beyond most of us and the cost when compared to just a water tank and a big water pump probably is not worth the effort.

Tauruck,
Your motor sounds pretty serious, just remember that you want a lot of water circulating through it to make it live and also plenty of water pressure. I always go by my friend Stu Van Dyne's water rule, 10 gallons per minute per 100 horse power which means a pretty big pump if you are looking at 1000 + hp.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 02:57:48 PM »
Rex;

Didn't the P-51 Mustang gain a few knots by the hot air exhausted from its radiator?

It is often called the Meredith effect -- It was more a case of negating radiator drag than producing actual thrust. The thrust from the heat gain and expansion largely canceled out the drag inherent in the radiator's internal drag.

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/387708-napier-heston-belly-scoop-first-one.html

Lee indicates that the propeller thrust at full power was about 1000lbs. However, the drag of the cooling radiator was of the order 400lbs! That is, nearly half the available thrust was required just for cooling the engine

By careful design of the radiator and its ducted cooling system, it was possible to use the heat released by the radiator to generate 350lb of thrust, thereby reducing the net drag of the cooling system to just 50lbs. ...

Larry
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:00:14 PM by hotrod »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
I'm not the smartest guy, so it's not surprising that I'm confused.

In your first post, you say you're going to run a radiator in a box, so why do you need an air duct for the radiator? Fill the box with water. My radiator in a box is in the trunk.

Or is it an air inlet for the engine?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 01:32:08 AM »
The front of the car is the same as you'd find in a NASCAR Sprint cup  car with air coming through the grille located low down and through the radiator which is shrouded. A radiator box is a term we use here to describe the shroud.