Author Topic: Been gone awhile....time to get back racing!  (Read 8995 times)

Offline isiahstites

Been gone awhile....time to get back racing!
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »
The last time a bike I owned saw Bonneville was in 2009 at BUB where we couldn't keep the bike out of impound. We continually were to set and re-break our own record numerous times. It was truly my best event to date in LSR racing. Not the fastest records on a Hayabusa, but they're mine and they still stand to my knowledge.

I will never forget that trip as my wife and one year daughter were there to help participate. There's nothing like having to change the chain on your bike and then when you are done change the baby's diaper. Both are jobs necessary to get the job done! I will never forget the day my wife and I took this picture of baby girl.

Before 2009 I built and raced this Buell/Sportster based bike and came 3 mph short of a 30 year old record, if only I had given it another year. Life calls and I had to disassemble the maintenance nightmare and move on to something that was less custom. Someday I would love to build another HD based LSR bike, but right now my heart lies in the imports.

So my life has changed quite a bit since all of this stuff has happened. I quit my wonderful goverment job to pursue a dream of owning my own business. My little girl is four years old now and getting bigger we each passing day! We picked up and moved to Northern Nevada from So Cal to open our business. I must say I love working for myself and not dealing with assholes everyday, but I do miss the steady paycheck and benefits. I am glad we made the decision and I know someday it will pay off. Actually it already has as I get to spend lots of valuable time with my wife and daughter that I otherwise would of missed if I had been working for the man!

My next chapter in life includes this and hopefully a few bigger models in the future and a CNC lathe. This one is a Haas Mini Mill2

I have been making all kinds of small parts and have been selling on eBay primarily. I have been reaching out to local business and have a few prospects designing and maching special parts for their operations. These are a few of the parts I have made, as I get better and better the parts will get bigger and more complicted, I love doing this!

I started gathering parts for the next build. My only goal with this bike to start is to go over 200 mph with a stock engine. Once that's done I will pursue records and more HP as I want to ensure anything that I have built is tried and true. I am hoping that because of experience with past builds and the addition of my newest piece of equipment addition it will really help me build a cool and functional bike.

I have wheels and tires for mock up purposes along with other parts to hopefully get it into a roller in the next couple of weeks. I also have some pretty good body work that I have had for a few years now. Bodywork came from Kent at Airtech who as always supported my racing.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: Been gone awhile....time to get back racing!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »
Oh, boy!  That fairing, originally developed by Kent for the electric bike, certainly did a good job for Jeff Bailey on his 160 c.i. Buell at BUB this year.  And, it's a shorter drive to Bonneville from now on.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
Oh, boy!  That fairing, originally developed by Kent for the electric bike, certainly did a good job for Jeff Bailey on his 160 c.i. Buell at BUB this year.  And, it's a shorter drive to Bonneville from now on.

Yes it's about half the distance to Bonneville now, you have no idea how excited I am about that.

You are right on the Electric Bike and the body work. When Kent was building the e-bike I did a build thread here on LR.com while I was assisting with various small parts of the build.

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
Welcome back, Pal.  I've missed you.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
Welcome back, Pal.  I've missed you.

FREUD

Freud - How have you been my friend?

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »
Good to see you back Scott!! :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »
Hi Scott, glad to hear from you, good luck on the new career. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »
Nice, I was wondering how long before you'd be back.  :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
Scott, you need to change your location. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
Glen - Thank you, I hope it works out well.

Larry - Look forward to seeing you again, I just needed to get things set-up for the family and get the business rolling.

If you need something made for that HD let me know.

Scott

Offline RogerL

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:19 PM »
Scott,

you might consider posting your contact info. i often am in need of some machine work for my bonneyville car and scooters. i live in the lake tahoe area and spend time looking for help in the reno area. would just as soon do business with a bonneyville racer.

Roger Lessman.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »
Scott,

you might consider posting your contact info. i often am in need of some machine work for my bonneyville car and scooters. i live in the lake tahoe area and spend time looking for help in the reno area. would just as soon do business with a bonneyville racer.

Roger Lessman.

Roger - No problem! I am in the Spanish Springs/Sparks area.

email: PulsePerformanceParts@gmail.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PulsePerformanceParts?ref=hl (you can like us and see other stuff we are working on)
Website (not done yet, but we are working on it) www.pulseperformanceparts.com

Currently I only have a CNC mill, if I can help I will. Thanks for the contact,

Scott

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »
The S&S Buell w/ that bodywork went 201.+, so we'll look forward to watching this new bike in 2013.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
The S&S Buell w/ that bodywork went 201.+, so we'll look forward to watching this new bike in 2013.

How fast did it go the year before?

I am not sure I will be done by next year, money and time willing!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »
Scott ... we all thought that you had been kidnapped by gypsies ... glad you on your way with "Pulse"  ... 

Joe