Author Topic: Aerodynamics of a car with no hood?  (Read 3988 times)

Offline goatnipples2002

• New folks
Aerodynamics of a car with no hood?
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
I have a 94 Mustang with 351w and a big turbo. This is a street car. I didn't have room for my 2nd turbo setup, so I removed my hood and put the turbo in "clean" air (kinda ram air style). I also did this to let the heat out. 

I read a post on another scta forum that they tested a camaro with and without the hood.

"For what it's worth, we tested our Bonneville Camaro in the wind tunnel with and without a hood. The cd number changes a little--probably not enough to matter at 100 mph--but the front lift number reduces..."

With my car making 600ish rwhp less lift is a good thing, but is the cost worth the payoff?

I was told not to worry about the front of the car, but the rear was more important...opinion?

I thought that adding a sheetmetal lip spoiler to the front of the car above the radiator to help direct the air over the engine bay might help with downforce and aerodynamics. I was told I would be hurting myself worse and I would only introduce more drag...opinions?

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Aerodynamics of a car with no hood?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »
Us backwoods folk are familiar with the no hood concept as well as the no door one.  It gets rather dicey when you split a radiator hose or something else and the windshield is covered with spooge and you cannot see through it.     

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »
Leave it on.
More places to put stickers...
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline goatnipples2002

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »
I sold the hood last year. This is year 2 with no hood and no probs yet.

I figured I could get some scientific help. Hell I got better responces from the Mustang guys.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »
Maybe 'cause all our ponies are required to have hoods.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline goatnipples2002

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »
I can understand that...just hoping someone may have some insight.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
The only way to know is to put it in the wind tunnel and test it.  Just because it didn't make a large difference on a Camaro doesn't mean anything to your Mustang.  The pony could lift more without the hood, only testing will tell. 
If you want to run it without a hood on the street, then by all means do so.  If you want to race it, check with the organization to ensure they allow it in your class. 
Aero affects both ends and the middle

Why not post a couple of pictures so we can see what you are talking about.  You are not going to get anything but wild imagination if you make everyone use their wild imagination
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
Any negative aero measurable at 100 will be astronomical at 200.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)