Author Topic: Lights for switches in Instrument panel  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Lights for switches in Instrument panel
« on: October 28, 2012, 07:41:44 PM »
Ok so I have these lights in my instrument panel on my racer. They are about 1 1/2 inches long, have a square lens on them, and they are about 1/2" round. They also have a nut on the back to secure them to the panel.

What are these called?

Where can you get them? Can I buy them individually?

I have tried Summit racing, Jegs, with no avail.

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Lights for switches in Instrument panel
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:53:45 PM »
Have you tried Radio Shack?

Pete

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »
autozone?
Advance Auto?
JC Whitney?

bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
Radio Shack has a good variety ... most are LED ...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
Clay;

Those are kinown as "indicators" among other names. Google one of these electronic distributors: Digi-Key or Mouser. Then search their website for panel indicators. You'll find a large choice of sizes, colors, operating voltages, etc. For Bonneville, a sealed indicator would be less prone to problems caused by salt.

On the surplus market you can sometimes find mil/aerospace "indicator switches"; these are pushbutton switches with a built-in light. High current switches are most likely going to be toggle switches.

Avoid ones rated only for AC use-- their contacts are not as heavy as ones rated for DC, current rating being equal. AC service erodes both contacts but not very quickly since breaking the AC current erodes one contact and deposits metal on the other. AC operation averages out to little net metal erosion on the contacts. DC contacts, on the other hand, always break a current flowing in the same direction, hence there is more contact erosion. Manufacturers usually tailor the contact alloys as well for AC or DC service.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »
Clay;

This is a link to a nice panel indicator: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/123.pdf

Look on the right side of the page for "T-2 AND T-3 1/4 MINIATURE RELAMPABLE INDICATORS" The part number "606-5100-824" is probably the one you want. You can get a wide variety of colored lenses for it and by selection of the proper light bulb, it can operate off 14VDC.

Here is a page with lamps of various voltages and current ratings: http://www.chml.com/products/pdf/2-53.pdf They can be ordered through Mouser:
 http://www.mouser.com/Chicago-Miniature/Optoelectronics/Lamps-Holders/Lamps/_/N-5g6rZscv7?P=1z0zlg5Z1z0ys4fZ1z0wun8&Keyword=T-3+1%2f4+lamp&FS=True

If you want something that is bright enough to be seen in bright sunshine, choose a lamp with a high MSCP (mean spherical candlepower) rating.

I've added some older photos of my build that show how I did the instrument panel. This is built with surplus stuff.

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
Thanks everybody for your response,

I did some searching and found some very simliar to mine, they should be in the mail.

Thanks again,
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:54:26 AM »
Late to the party but my go-too is Waytek

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/

for future reference :cheers: