Author Topic: Things to do after...  (Read 116173 times)

Offline m610

Things to do after...
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:57:04 PM »
I know this is a "before" forum, but it seemed like the best place to also discuss "after".

This was my first time on the salt. I was there for the 130 mph club event but upgraded to the 150 mph event because a longer course sounded like more fun, and I was never going to get to 130 mph anyway. I think I was prepared for the event. I read everything I could find here and asked lots of questions when I arrived, and got lots of help. Our 2.5 runs went OK and after limping the car back in it looked so heroic in its new white crust. I knew the car would need a good cleaning when we got home, but I didn't realize how much would be required and how difficult it can be to find and get rid of all the salt.

Our second stop after we got home, the first was for breakfast, was a car wash. I think we went through $30-$40 in quarters washing the car and our small open trailer and the truck. The car was still on the trailer so it was easy to get under it with the sprayer. Once we thought we were done I realized that there was now a good chance that water at this car wash was now salty and that we had been spraying that on the car, so when we got the car home and off the trailer I went at it and the trailer with the garden hose. More salt was found. It was as if I was trying to find and dissolve cockroaches.

A few days later we pulled the wheels and found a lot more salt on the a-arms and other places. Up on the jack stands it went, wheels off, rear drums off, and me on a creeper with the garden hose again rolling around under the car spraying everything, and getting drenched.  I also removed the seat and other interior stuff and flooded the inside of the car to get the last of that salt. Finally, done.

After we got around to pulling the engine (perforated piston) I found more above the brake and fuel lines and on top of the transmission. Damn.

I've talked to a couple other 130 MPH club people since and they were just as surprised to still find thick deposits of salt on their car. Some of them may have waited a little too long before giving their cars a good cleaning.

I hope to come back next year to get in all 6 runs. Plans for next year also include taking the car apart when we get home and going at it with the garden hose until all of the vegetation around the carport dies from salt poisoning.

Cheers,
Mike

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Things to do after...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »
People use everything from Pam to Salt-X or Salt Away. The latter two were originally used for marine use but have proven very helpful when applied with a garden sprayer before heading out to the salt. They seem to help prevent corrosion and make the salt removal easier. Another treatment after the salt's removed with a follow up coating of GIBBS or StrongArm penetrating lubricant should make things almost better than new.

Your thorough wash should have gone a long way to preventing the dreaded brown patina from appearing.

Pete
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:10:59 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline Tman

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
Dont try so hard. The pressure washer can actually force the salt deeper into the crevices. Once home set a lawn sprinkler on low under the car. Move it around periodically. You still should tear stuff down for inspection afterwards.

Offline m610

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:22 PM »
Maybe this stuff would be useful - http://www.spillcontainment.com/everdry

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
After spending $550 yesterday on brakes and associated parts I have come to the conclusion that you can never, ever do enough clean up. This is my 2005 Colorado, 4 trips to salt annually. Oh yeah, next week I must explore a low cost replacement of the ABS sensors and replace the parking brake cable system.

And, a flat tire this morning.

Where oh where is the Merlot?

DW
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:22:08 PM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jdincau

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »
That is why I addition to crawling under the thing and spraying with the garden hose in every nook and cranny I can find, letting it sit overnight, washing again the next day, spraying everything with salt x including the engine compartment, I take the wheels off, clean all the remaining salt from the brake and suspention pieces (there is always some left) and put anti sieze on the wheel studs. After 9 trips to the salt I have had no problems. This of course means that tommorow everything will fall apart like the proverbial one horse shay.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline m610

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
I'm gearing up for the WOS event again (150 mph club) and unlike last time (2012) planning includes clean up after we get back. Last year the car was so caked with salt that you think we'd been driving in wet snow. So after a trip to the car wash (too much salt to wash into the neighbor's lawn) the car will be parked over a sprinkler system I am building. Then it goes on jack stands and wheels and brakes come off and get washed even more. Then the interior comes out and I flood it with water. The I do it again the next day, figuring getting the salt of is part one, getting the salty water off is part 2. The car is scheduled to race at Thunderhill Raceway the following weekend so I need to get this all done as soon as we get back.

The trailer and tow vehicle will get similar treatments.

Before heading off for WOS I'll power wash the bottom of the car and rattle can the snot out of it. I know, it's just a LeMons car, but we still have an investment to protect.

Mike

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:17:20 AM »
Pam sprayed on the muffler and exhaust pipe smells like baking cookies when it gets hot.