Author Topic: Have a reliable clock to wake you up, don't use a smart phone  (Read 13531 times)

Offline edinlr

I have used my I phone for years as a wake up call.  Never had a problem, it seems much easier than trying to learn a clock in a strange hotel room and easier than messing with the front desk too.  Last year I was in impound and had to be out early to be out of impound by 7:00.  Set my alarm for 5:00am and was fine.  Got up the next morning, took a shower and glanced at the clock in the room and it said 6:20!  Holy crap, got dressed and flew out the door towards the track.  Got the bike loaded and headed to the gate at 7:05.  They said no and someone else in the class set the record 5 mph faster than I could ever run again.

The lesson was that the I phone is pretty smart and even though all of Wendover uses Mountain time, Apple in its wisdom went back and forth from Mountain to Pacific time and woke me at 5 Pacific time instead of 5 Mountain time.  Lesson learned.  Hopefully this year I will have more horsepower AND a reliable clock!
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Have a reliable clock to wake you up, don't use a smart phone
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:38:15 PM »
It is also dependent on your cellular provider - That anomaly was noted when my wife and I realized her cell phone had changed time, and mine hadn't.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
While you and I and most everyone knows that both Wendovers use Mountain time -- the phone doesn't, so when you cross the stateline you and the phone go into the Pacific zone.  You know better -- the phone doesn't.

That's one reason we carry a small battery-operated clock with alarm in the suitcase when we go to Bville.  Another is that some motels don't have in-room clocks.  Oh, yes -- speaking of those in the room clock radios -- always check to make sure that it is not set to "wake up" - - - before you go to bed.  Otherwise you'll get that surprise when the radio comes on really LOUD at 0 dark thirty -- a legacy of the people that used that room before you did.  It's happened to us a couple of times. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »
No issues at the bend.   :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator