Author Topic: storing race fuel  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

storing race fuel
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
I have a few gallons of expensive race fuel left over from this year at WOS. Is it possible to keep the fuel for 10 months (*want to use for dyno).

Is there a better way to store fuel so it doesnt degrade or should I run it in the lawn mower as I normally do.

~JH

BTW:

The fuel in question is ERC A8C (and one other I cant remember).....

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: storing race fuel
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »
Fuel around here is stored in an airtight metal container with fuel stabilizer.  The container is selected that has the smallest air volume above the fuel.  The extra fuel is stored the same day the original can is opened so its most volatile fractions do not evaporate off.  Fuel that sits in an unsealed container for more than a day goes into the lawnmower or chainsaw.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: storing race fuel
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:59 AM »
Gasoline will last a long time if stored properly, but it’s losing energy the entire time. Gasoline forms gum or varnish from the acids in the gasoline and from contact with the oxygen in the air and from the metal in the gas can.

Expensive lawn mower fuel beats dyno performance that isn't correct.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.