Author Topic: Caster angle  (Read 13267 times)

Offline restless1

• New folks
Caster angle
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:41:08 PM »
Just wondering what guys run for caster angle on a belly tank?

Offline Tman

Re: Caster angle
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »
There are a ton of discussion on here. Spend some time digging around. (thats what I did/do) :cheers:

Offline restless1

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »
yeah ive noticed, seems guys are all over the map with ideas. was kind of looking for a nice starting point. thinking of trying 15 deg.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:07:16 PM »
Circle track guys put caster in cars to "WEIGHTJACK" the cars off the corners--- is this what you want?  Caster will change the bite of the rear tires side to side-- when you make steering corrections!!!  There may  :?  be  reason why most hesitate to STEER at B'ville
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:11:05 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Burk

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
I'll add a question . For lsr what are the disadvantages of too much  caster ?

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
I'll add a question . For lsr what are the disadvantages of too much  caster ?
Bumpy return roads=lost thumb nails
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Tman

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »
restless, I will tell this, I am new and building my lakester. I STILL do not know what I am doing for caster yet. Will soon, front end is going together shortly. Good luck :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »
When we built the Bockscar we picked 37 degrees, basically what the rails were running.  It went straight, quite a bit of pressure was required to steer at speed.  Was that way for about 26 years... we broke an axle last year, decided to build a new one for this year.  The new axle has about 14.  Steering is definitely different... there is a lot less pressure required to steer.  The flopper is gone, it backs down the trailer easier, and pushes by hand a little straighter... at 37, once the front started to flop, it went.  I made a couple of passes before Pork Pie took the reins, I like it at 14 but I may add a reversed quickener to allow a little more wheel movement.  It seemed to steer too easy.  :-o  Pork Pie had no trouble keeping it on the track, even with the cross wind that popped up during his last record run.
Pick a number... 0 to 37... all have been used, these days I would say 37 is too much... 10 -15 is where I would land.  Just remember caster is not your only variable, pay close attention to scrub radius and bump steer
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 01:17:33 AM »
Ours is 30deg. We ended up with that because the guy who'd built ours,Graham Robinson, built one for John Lynch's bellytank at 23 and he suggested we go to 30. It doesn't "flop" , runs really straight...unless the motor is shaking itself apart, the wheel alignment is right and  so on.....

Stainless has the comparative view, 37 to 14 , everything else is subjective.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline restless1

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
Thanks for the help..Im thinking Ill try 15 deg.  Ill be using model A spindles and hubs,  whats the fix for correcting the scrub.  Im looking into the 20:1 rack and pinion from Prowerks for the steering.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »
Thanks for the help..Im thinking Ill try 15 deg.  Ill be using model A spindles and hubs,  whats the fix for correcting the scrub.

Wheel offset is the easiest way.

Pete

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
You might have trouble with the 20:1 r&P from Pro Werks as I think I bought the last one several years ago for my lakester. Check with them.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JimL

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »
If building with a straight tube axle, you can make saddle clamp mounting with one cap slotted for a locater stud (with locking nut) in the tube.  You'll be able to quick adjust your caster, within reason, to see what works.  We wound up at 14 degrees on a 156" wheelbase mod-roadster.  Worked fine up to our best speeds around 185.

We did aluminum hubs with close-in wheel flange to correct scrub and keep bearing load points happy.  It will also give you some bearing choices if you make your own hubs.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »
The Chassis shop has 20:1 r&p's
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline restless1

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip..Ill give them a call........ and thanks to all the others for the ideas on the caster angle.